Yet Another "Upgrading My Comp." Thread

Well, I have been thinking about upgrading my prebuilt computer, an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400f. I am wanting to upgrade my Radeon HD 5450 graphics card, and was thinking about the EVGA GeForce GTX 550. I am wanting to keep my range around 100-200 dollars.

Admittedly, I have never upgraded a computer before. Honestly I am kind of clueless about the various stats of the cards. Am I going to need to upgrade my 300w power supply as well? And any sort of considerations that I need to take, in regards to frying something? Yeah, thanks for any advice, help, and recommendations.

You will probably need to upgrade your power supply as well to handle that card. Otherwise it is straight forward, just pop out the old card, put the new one in and (IMPORTANT!) plug in the power cord from your PSU into your card. If all goes well you should get picture right off the bat. Just make sure you clear off your old drivers and get new ones, don't use the ones that come in the CD they are never up to date. Download them off the manufacturers website.

HD 5450 uses around 20W.

Desired GTX 550 uses over 100W.

The recommended Watts doesn't look at your entire system, like number of drives running.

I've gotten away with upgrading similarly without upping power but would NEVER recommend it. Could try it, but I won't advise it.

But it looks like they both use the same pci x16 slot and same #pins for power connection, tho maybe double check that. I once bought a card that required more power connections so I cut n spliced a nice hack job but don't advise that either. I'm probably a fire hazard.

If your going to go with nvidia then I would pony up an extra $30.00 for the EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560. You will benifit more from the wider memory interface and the almost double cuda cores than the extra clock speed that you should be able to do your self. Either way you will need a better power supply and both cards will blow the ATI 5450 out of the water. You will be happy either way but I would really consider the 560 over the 550 for the price diff. And like Jerbsinator said its pretty straight forward on installing the card, also unplug the PC and hit the power button to discharge and left over current out of the PSU and then touch your hand to the metal part of the case to get rid of any static electricity.You look like your good on your processor and ram the only weak points were your video card and PSU. good luck to you.

EVGA Superclocked 560

Cheap PSU that wont burn out in 6 months

I've got a gtx550 ti and you definetly need to upgrede your PSU, however great graphics it will run skyrim at full settings and according to a youtube video i saw (no link...sorry about that) crysis too. my psu is 800 watts so no problem for me

You will probably need to upgrade your power supply as well to handle that card. Otherwise it is straight forward' date=' just pop out the old card, put the new one in and (IMPORTANT!) plug in the power cord from your PSU into your card. If all goes well you should get picture right off the bat. Just make sure you clear off your old drivers and get new ones, don't use the ones that come in the CD they are never up to date. Download them off the manufacturers website.

[/quote']

Thanks for that. So, it is uninstall the drivers, then pop out the old card, pop in the new card/power supply, then install the new drivers?

Odd even the 5450 has a minimum recommend power of 400W yet the HP only has a 300W psu...

I know' date=' weird, but not completely a surprise to encounter someting like that on a prebuilt I suppose.

If your going to go with nvidia then I would pony up an extra $30.00 for the EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560. You will benifit more from the wider memory interface and the almost double cuda cores than the extra clock speed that you should be able to do your self. Either way you will need a better power supply and both cards will blow the ATI 5450 out of the water. You will be happy either way but I would really consider the 560 over the 550 for the price diff. And like Jerbsinator said its pretty straight forward on installing the card, also unplug the PC and hit the power button to discharge and left over current out of the PSU and then touch your hand to the metal part of the case to get rid of any static electricity.You look like your good on your processor and ram the only weak points were your video card and PSU. good luck to you.

EVGA Superclocked 560

Cheap PSU that wont burn out in 6 months

I am still kind of leaning toward the 550. I am slightly confused about this card, for one thing, why is it cheaper than the non-superclocked card, even though it shows the exact same stats?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

The card is also a problem for me, as I hear superclocked, and think overclocked, which makes me think ignoring regulations, which makes my ocd twitchy. :P

(Yes, I am a nerd that cannot stand the idea of overclocking, sue me. :P)

And thanks a lot for the power supply recommendation, that will probably be what I pick up, unless someone else disagrees maybe?

Factory overclocks are usually ok, if something goes wrong the warranty should cover it, EVGA has pretty good warranty I heard, and they are known to release 100000 version of overclock/superclock/superoverclock/oversuperclock of the same chip.

550 is a decent card if you are gaming on a budget but don't expect it to run everything perfectly smoothly on high or ultra settings.

On the other hand if you play the +$30 to $40 for an next level card game you will find yourself plateauing at around $250 to $300...

550 is a decent card if you are gaming on a budget but don't expect it to run everything perfectly smoothly on high or ultra settings.

It's still a big step up from my current one. That is really what I am shooting for' date=' takin' it to a Whole. 'NOTHER. [b']LEVEL.[/b]

On the other hand if you play the +$30 to $40 for an next level card game you will find yourself plateauing at around $250 to $300...

Definitely. And I do love the 119.99 after rebate price, that is practically the perfect price I was looking for.

And for the record, this upgrade was already needed, but a big part of this is doing it for the upcoming Planetside 2. Check that game out! Also, this has been really fun just shopping around for the parts. I am totally building my next comp myself. :D

Since you'd said you'll be building a new computer later, I'd suggest just putting up with it until you get your new computer. Money wasted on this computer is just money less for your new desktop.

That's how I see it.

Definitely. And I do love the 119.99 after rebate price' date=' that is practically the perfect price I was looking for.[/quote']

If you are paying $120 for a 550 it better be one with a higher clock speed, I have seen 550 going for $100 pretty often. On the other hand if you are really willing to pay the $20 premium for a little high clock speed you are already caught in the +$ for one high level loop :P

Since you'd said you'll be building a new computer later' date=' I'd suggest just putting up with it until you get your new computer. Money wasted on this computer is just money less for your new desktop.

That's how I see it.

[/quote']

A new comp is still a few years down the road. This card is just gas in the tank to get me there. :P It is also my way of getting some experience doing this before going all in.

I agree with sora3. Saving your money now will always yield better tech in a few months.

I would suggest creating a wishlist at newegg, arrange all your purchases and save it, it should auto track the prices, when you reach your desired total price order it.

Don't jump in, lot of really nice hardware coming out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Something noone else seems to have mentioned is that before buying a new VC, you should confirm that you can indeed install one. HP is notorious for integrated graphics and doesn't always provide a PCIe slot on the board. ATI 5450 is a common onboard or integrated chipset and HP usually doesn't use such lowend graphics in systems where the VC is a discrete card. The good news is that if this is the case and there is an available PCIe slot, you maybe able to take advantage of Crossfire if you were to buy another ATI based card such as a less expensive 6450 series. HP can provide you with the details.

Something noone else seems to have mentioned is that before buying a new VC' date=' you should confirm that you can indeed install one. HP is notorious for integrated graphics and doesn't always provide a PCIe slot on the board. ATI 5450 is a common onboard or integrated chipset and HP usually doesn't use such lowend graphics in systems where the VC is a discrete card. The good news is that if this is the case and there is an available PCIe slot, you maybe able to take advantage of Crossfire if you were to buy another ATI based card such as a less expensive 6450 series. HP can provide you with the details.

[/quote']

Umm, pretty sure I've actually already removed the card once while tinkering around with it. I removed something anyway. :P I shall attach an image. The red thing. Thats the video card in the PCIe slot right? If not, then I know shit about computers. (Although that may be true regardless. :D) Is it just me, or is the inside of a computer very pretty?

(Also, getting close to getting the funds together to actually order the parts. Exciting!)

Something noone else seems to have mentioned is that before buying a new VC' date=' you should confirm that you can indeed install one. HP is notorious for integrated graphics and doesn't always provide a PCIe slot on the board. ATI 5450 is a common onboard or integrated chipset and HP usually doesn't use such lowend graphics in systems where the VC is a discrete card. The good news is that if this is the case and there is an available PCIe slot, you maybe able to take advantage of Crossfire if you were to buy another ATI based card such as a less expensive 6450 series. HP can provide you with the details.

[/quote']

Umm, pretty sure I've actually already removed the card once while tinkering around with it. I removed something anyway. :P I shall attach an image. The red thing. Thats the video card in the PCIe slot right? If not, then I know shit about computers. (Although that may be true regardless. :D) Is it just me, or is the inside of a computer very pretty?

(Also, getting close to getting the funds together to actually order the parts. Exciting!)

So... I'm right, right? I've got the PCIe x16, I'm good to go, right?

Also, I've been looking around, I do like the recommended PS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

But I was looking around, and was thinking that this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

May be a better choice? Yes? No? O.o

Oh, and is there something that I need to be checking on the power supply to make sure I can use it with my new 550ti/computer?

So... I'm right, right? I've got the PCIe x16, I'm good to go, right?( Yes it has a pcix16 slot that information was on the specs for your PC in your first post)

Also, I've been looking around, I do like the recommended PS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

But I was looking around, and was thinking that this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

May be a better choice? Yes? No? O.o

Oh, and is there something that I need to be checking on the power supply to make sure I can use it with my new 550ti/computer?

Thought you would have upgraded by now lol,the PS you have listed is better than the one i suggested more watts is better even if you don't need them(PS will last longer if its not always straining)both will work with your card,and as far as your PC goes as long as its an atx case it should work if nothing else just measure your current PS and check the dimensions on the one your buying its listed under details at the bottom ,and is this the card you decided on 550ti its a big upgrade from the ati card you had I have one last question I forgot to ask, What resolution do you run? that will make a big diff in your card choice.If your running at 1280x720 or 1360x768 or what ever that card should play everything you throw at it if your running at 1920x1080 or higher you might want to save a little more for a 560. Why not buy a good midrange card now and not have to worry about it again till you need a new PC. Anyway good luck to you and I've built a few PC's so if you have any questions while your installing it just post them here ill start checking this thread daily now that I know your still getting the parts.

Thought you would have upgraded by now lol' date='the PS you have listed is better than the one i suggested more watts is better even if you don't need them(PS will last longer if its not always straining)both will work with your card,and as far as your PC goes as long as its an atx case it should work if nothing else just measure your current PS and check the dimensions on the one your buying its listed under details at the bottom ,and is this the card you decided on 550ti its a big upgrade from the ati card you had I have one last question I forgot to ask, What resolution do you run? that will make a big diff in your card choice.If your running at 1280x720 or 1360x768 or what ever that card should play everything you throw at it if your running at 1920x1080 or higher you might want to save a little more for a 560. Why not buy a good midrange card now and not have to worry about it again till you need a new PC. Anyway good luck to you and I've built a few PC's so if you have any questions while your installing it just post them here ill start checking this thread daily now that I know your still getting the parts.

Hehe, what can I say, I take my time. And yeah, needed to get the cash together for it. ^^ I run 1680 x 1050 resolution. And yes, trust me, I'll be updating the thread every step of the way. :)

Edit: Oh, and about upgrading. If the next level was around the 140-150 range, I *might* consider stepping up, but the next level seems to be around 180, and that is just more than I want to spend now.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I still haven't ordered yet. Yes, I suffer from being cripplingly indecisive. Sue me. XD

So, looking at more power supplies.

Was still thinking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

But I see that this has a lot better feedback, and may be generally higher quality? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

But I also saw this, and was thinking it may be nice step up, into slightly higher than "Bargain bin power." http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

... Leaning toward that last one. Thoughts?

Edit: But then again, I may just go with the first... maybe...

And yes, I actually am close to ordering... honest.

The Raidmax looks fairly "cool" but even better it sports 530 watts. I would not dip below 500 watts for a power supply as it may be "out date" very quickly. Since the price was the same as the coolmaster and the brand is good I would grab it.

I have seen more Antec failures than any other brand...so I would not want it.

I wouldn't go for the raidmax I've heard of a few ppl having problems with those I had one burn out on me after just 2 months,coolermaster and antek both have solid reputations so you should be fine with either one. I use cooler master myself on three builds two of the pc's I run daily the oldest I've been running since 2008 still works great with a 6970 hooked up to it.Just make sure you have some headroom on wattage, a 6 pin for your card(I dont like adapters) and 18 amps on the 12v rail you should be ok.As long as its good brand and it has those specs ,the rest is just personal opinion and reading feedback.

Good luck with the build I'm glad your getting closer,did you pick up those headphones that were on sale? I don't use any so i had no opinion on them.

The Raidmax looks fairly "cool" but even better it sports 530 watts. I would not dip below 500 watts for a power supply as it may be "out date" very quickly. Since the price was the same as the coolmaster and the brand is good I would grab it.

I have seen more Antec failures than any other brand...so I would not want it.

Great so I'll pick up the Raidmax!

I wouldn't go for the raidmax I've heard of a few ppl having problems with those I had one burn out on me after just 2 months' date='coolermaster and antek both have solid reputations so you should be fine with either one. I use cooler master myself on three builds two of the pc's I run daily the oldest I've been running since 2008 still works great with a 6970 hooked up to it.Just make sure you have some headroom on wattage, a 6 pin for your card(I dont like adapters) and 18 amps on the 12v rail you should be ok.As long as its good brand and it has those specs ,the rest is just personal opinion and reading feedback.

[/quote']

FUCK! Haha. The indecision remains... 

Good luck with the build I'm glad your getting closer,did you pick up those headphones that were on sale? I don't use any so i had no opinion on them.

Yup, grabbed those headphones for 35. Super-impressed, of course this is my first pair of decent quality ones. (And I'm switching from speakers built in to the monitor.) I can now understand why so many gamers seem to swear by headphones instead of speakers. Even though some audiophiles would be quick to call these "Toys." :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158082

And yeah, I need to hurry up and upgrade, so I can "Honestly" take the hardware survey for the Planetside 2 beta.

Well again this is all up to personal experiences. If you throw out the Raidmax which Shane said he wouldn't buy and throw out the Antec which I wouldn't buy you are left with...........Coolmaster :)

I personally have had several coolmaster power supplies and never had any issues so perhaps that is the ticket.

I've got a good 5.1 set up through my reciever for audio so that's why I dont use headphones. I did see a review in PC gamer for those exact headphones I was gonna post it but the sale was over it got 84% if I remmeber right which is good on their scale.And go for whatever PS you feel is right that raidmax could last 10 years and the coolermaster could fizzle out in a week you never know with that kind of thing.Just read as much feedback as possible and try to focus on the more than 6 month owners, so you can get an idea of reliablity.Greg is for the raidmax I'm for any other brand maybe somebody else will cast a vote and make the decision for you lol.

/edit you keep posting the same time as me lol