Yet Another "Upgrading My Comp." Thread

Or you two could fight it out for my amusement. ^^

>.>

<.<

*Tosses swords out*

Half of my gut says Cooler Master' date=' the other half says Raidmax.

[/quote']

I would never win gregathit is everywhere all the time on these threads I think he answers question before ppl ask them lol

Sleep on it and then order the coolmaster....:)

Seriously Shane is quite right in that the coolmaster could be bad right out of the box. It does happen regardless of brand. On the whole however is what you have to look at for brands and even particular product lines of those brands just as Afa correctly pointed out. When in doubt look who has the most hassle free warranty! That is usually also a pretty good clue.

Have fun with your new hardware......if you ever order it that is......:)

Sweet congrats on your upgrades, I think you'll be happy and as far as the 80+certified stuff goes on the other post if you don't already know its the effiency rating 80+ means 80% or higher effiency. The one your going with is 70% in my opinion youll be fine its a good brand and by no means cheap for a 500 watt PS. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

They'll be here either later today or tomorrow. :D

So I should probably change out the ps first, and make sure everything goes smoothly with that right? Unplug everything, touch hand against the metal case, hit the power button to discharge any leftover power. (This good to do whenever you are doing anything on the inside of a comp, right?) Make a map of where the current ps is all plugged in, then unplug it, screw the new one in and plug everything back up, and boot up the comp.

Assuming that goes well, I then need to uninstall the drivers/software for my current card, then shutdown, unplug, touch the metal, and hit the power button again. Then just remove the old card, and slide the new one in, plugging the ps into it. Boot up the comp, and I'm assuming stuff is going to pop up about installing drivers? Should I ignore these? Should I download drivers from the web before installing it? Should I install them before installing it if that is even possible?

It's about time lol yea try not to work on carpet too.I think that would be a good idea with the power supply that way your not trouble shooting two things at once if there is a problem.

Yea you got it and yes don't use the drivers from the disc get the latest from nvidia or your card maker. If I remember right windows will just use it's found new hardware wizard and install default display drivers just let it do its thing and install the new drivers.You might as well download the new drivers before you swap cards out and have ready for you on your desktop just dont install them until you get the new card in.

My internet is going in an out we had a bad storm here I would assume it will be fixed by the time you get your stuff but if you have a problem and I dont post right away that's why

Holy shit. Words cannot describe the feeling of relief when I when that power button and things started whirring to life. Power supply installation successful!

Also:

[video=youtube]

Fuck that fucking big one that plugs into the fucking motherboard. God damn. And yes. Literal fucking blisters. Son of a bitch. WORTH IT!

Will probably watch a few youtube videos and let my fingers heal, then put in the graphics, should be a cake walk. :D

Oh yeah, this is what I need to download right? (99% sure)

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

lol well blisters on your fingers mean you did something.looks like the right drivers. glad it fired up on the first try for you.

something I didn't mention before although I know this can happen its the first time it ever happened to me.I was cleaning my PC last week(I smoke and I have a stupid cat so I have to do that often)anyway I must have knocked a little piece of dust in the pci express slot because I kept getting driver errors and when I checked gpuz to monitor my temps it said I was running at 8X speed which isnt right for that card.So I tried reseating the card twice didn't help,then I went ahead and pulled the card all the way out blew compressed air in the slot wiped down the card with electronics cleaner and presto no more errors and running at 16x again. Morale of the story is careful with the dust if you have a lot in your case blow it out if you can or try not to disturb it when swapping the cards.

goodluck hope the video card goes as well as the power supply:D

Actually don't go to Geforce to get your drivers. Instead go to your cards manufacturer's site instead. Some of the bigger manufacturers (like EVGA) run tests to make sure the new drivers don't melt your card or other strange things.

If you manufacturer points you to Geforce's webpage then that is fine.

Actually don't go to Geforce to get your drivers. Instead go to your cards manufacturer's site instead. Some of the bigger manufacturers (like EVGA) run tests to make sure the new drivers don't melt your card or other strange things.

It looks like EVGA has the exact same 301.42 driver. Does it really matter? (That is a serious question. :) )

http://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=2487&type=N&acctype=Driver&accversion=301.42&part_number=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family

Edit: Also, I forget, do I need to uninstall from the device manager (Right clicking "ATI Radeon HD 5450" and selecting uninstall, or from the programs and features (And uninstalling "AMD Catalyst Install Manager")? Or does it matter?

It looks like EVGA has the exact same 301.42 driver. Does it really matter? (That is a serious question. :) )

http://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=2487&type=N&acctype=Driver&accversion=301.42&part_number=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family

Yes it really does matter. Evga certifies the drivers (never use the beta's unless you are having a problem with the WHQL driver) to make sure there won't be any problems with the particular cards.

About 8 months ago a driver came out that EVGA tested and rejected. However a number of EVGA card users obtained their driver direct from GeForce and burned their cards up. They were complaining that EVGA should furnish a new card to them but EVGA said no and that they should have been getting their drivers from them and not geforce. If you like living dangerously then.....

Also I highly recommend you grab Precision X as it is a custom clocking and cooling software (and other cool stuff too). Just sign up on the EVGA page and you can get the software.

Edit: Also' date=' I forget, do I need to uninstall from the device manager (Right clicking "ATI Radeon HD 5450" and selecting uninstall, or from the programs and features (And uninstalling "AMD Catalyst Install Manager")? Or does it matter?

[/quote']

Either way should remove it. I recommend going through the programs and features menu but it is up to you.

It won't hurt anything and like greg said they usually test them first. I uninstall with the the catalyst utility not sure if thats better or not. It should get rid of most everything. Not sure if the device manager will just uninstall the display driver and not the catalyst control center with it.I also go through and manually delete the left over folders scattered everywhere and use CC cleaner to get rid of the registry entries but I think thats more than is needed

One last question! (Viewing this in ginormo mode, lol) I've uninstalled the driver/catalyst software, and now it is asking me to restart my computer. Should I go ahead and restart, or just say no, power off, and install my new card?

This should be the last thing before everything gets set up. :D

(Specifically, the message is "You must restart your system for the configuration changes made to AMD Catalyst Install Manager to take effect. Click Yes to restart now or No if you plan to restart later.")

One last question! (Viewing this in ginormo mode' date=' lol) I've uninstalled the driver/catalyst software, and now it is asking me to restart my computer. Should I go ahead and restart, or just say no, power off, and install my new card?

This should be the last thing before everything gets set up. :D

(Specifically, the message is "You must restart your system for the configuration changes made to AMD Catalyst Install Manager to take effect. Click Yes to restart now or No if you plan to restart later.")

[/quote']

Do a complete restart so everything is gone. Then power down and install the new hardware. I do recommend you grab the EVGA driver first if you have not already so you can immediately install it after slapping the new card in.

(Internet went out. Decided to just finish physical installation, zip tie up the ps cords, and wait to start it up in the morning.)

Great Success! Please join me for a moment of glorious celebration!

[video=youtube]

\o/

And I have pictures. :D

How are my zip-ties? Good enough? And wow, this thing is a freaking monster compared to my tiny little card before. Still fits easily though.

There is one little... oddity. My computer has these weird little soft metal flap things, that are springy and bendable.

My previous card only took up one of them, so I just moved them around the metal slide thing, and it fit nice and snug. However this new card is twice as wide, so I can't do that. Is it fine to just have it pushing up against them?

(Sorry for the brightness of the pic.)

Oh yeah, one other little thing. The card says it need 24 amps on the 12 volt rail. My ps has 18. Oopsies. My gut tells me I don't need to be worrying about it though oddly enough. Should I be yelling at my gut for giving terrible advice? (After all, for forever I ran 100 wats under the recommended for my previous card. :P)

So, the graphics card fan started making this awful whirring noise. I inspect it, and this little fucking blue and black wire is dangling into it. So, I go to zip tie it tighter to the larger cable it is traveling along, along with another little black wire dangling a bit to close as well. I yanked the zip tie a bit to hard.

Oops.

After panicking for a little bit and wondering how in the hell I was going to afford a new computer. I inspected it, and figured out where I hope is the right place to put it in.

What in the hell is this thing anyways? (Seriously, what is it?) I had to remove the graphics card to get it in, but it looks like everything is working fine. Phew. Gonna power off again and put on one more zip tie. Crisis fucking averted.

Edit: Whirring gone, computer fixed up, set up, and ready to go! Come at me bro! One more time! Because I fucking deserve it!

[video=youtube]

Now to actually play some games! (I'll post my thoughts in a day or two for those interested.)