Tracking the trackers

thesapien

Kind of cool, just now I opened my Firefox browser with Google's default search homepage. Right in the middle was this TED video, meaning Firefox is helping to spread this info. Some I'm doing my part, too.

It's a short video about how much online activity is being tracked for each individual. Well, those not using Ghostery and NoScript.

Ironically, TED's own site above has 8 trackers on it! LOL

I was kind of thinking, too, how not all trackers are the same or bad, as he mentions in the video, as well. But it would still be nice to be more aware and/or consent to these. So what about the idea of possibly site admins taking it upon themselves to help make this all more transparent, ahead of the pack and as an example for others? What I mean is maybe simply mention somewhere on the site the trackers here you have agreed to use? You could even explain why via a link for those who are concerned, helping answer those concerns. This would help if someone notices a possibly bad tracker appearing to identify and report.

Just thinking out loud with the future in mind.

Archived