What processor should I get for heavy Skyrim modding?

I've been upgrading my desktop for the past few months now, so far I have 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 970 graphics card from Nivida. Now I'm going to be looking for a processor but I have no idea what to get or even if I can use it with the 500 PSU I have now. Right now I have a i3-6100 3.70 GHz and need something above that in a price range from $100-$200. Any recommendations?

Skyrim is not really heavy on CPU.

But the processor you may want depends on the socket your mother board has.

Don't go on the generation 6 iCores. Expensive and just a little bit more powerful of the 5th generation core.

i5 and i7 on the 5th and 4th generation are really the same price, so in this case go to the i7 series.

Again, without knowing what your mother board is, and if you want to change it too, it is hard to give you a real advise.

Cheers.

Skyrim is not really heavy on CPU.

But the processor you may want depends on the socket your mother board has.

Don't go on the generation 6 iCores. Expensive and just a little bit more powerful of the 5th generation core.

i5 and i7 on the 5th and 4th generation are really the same price, so in this case go to the i7 series.

Again, without knowing what your mother board is, and if you want to change it too, it is hard to give you a real advise.

Cheers.

Thank you for the reply!

According to speccy my motherboard is a MSI H110M PRO-D (MS-7996) (U3E1)

OK, it is a LGA 1151 socket.

No clues of where you live (probably west of the world according to your post times, but you can be an extremely early morning asian, or a really late night european guy...)\

Here an example of a really good i5 CPU in your price range that is compatible with your socket, 6th gen (5th gen is no more available new) on NewEggs (that is good for United States.)

OK, it is a LGA 1151 socket.

No clues of where you live (probably west of the world according to your post times, but you can be an extremely early morning asian, or a really late night european guy...)\

Here an example of a really good i5 CPU in your price range that is compatible with your socket, 6th gen (5th gen is no more available new) on NewEggs (that is good for United States.)

I'll most likely get this one! Thank you so much for helping me!

Not a problem.

Be aware that neweggs does not do shipping outside US.

But (just in case) there is an equivalent one in China and South Korea, and Japan. Not available in Europe, as far as I know.

Ummmm, I probably said this multiple times before the CPU will not matter as long as its strong enough for games in general. The GPU is what you need to worry about because thats literally 80% of what skyrim runs off of.

Archived