$10,000 For best mod. Are you entering?

Even if I had skills, I would not. Why?

They can modify, use, copy and whatever any entry to this contest.

Not sure how crazy this exactly is, too tired to figure out lawyer speech. But hey, not really your mod any-more I guess?

But we will see some great mods for this anyway. Looking forward to it.

Like Akzyra mentioned... 

Worst case scenario I was thinking was....once they're in the top 5 mods to vote from. I feel Bethesda would take them, slap them on the console markets, and put a paywall up. But that's just my negative thinking from past episodes  :s

I'm not really sure if they could or would do that. Just prepare for the worst I guess

Like Akzyra mentioned... 

Worst case scenario I was thinking was....once they're in the top 5 mods to vote from. I feel Bethesda would take them, slap them on the console markets, and put a paywall up. But that's just my negative thinking from past episodes  :s

I'm not really sure if they could or would do that. Just prepare for the worst I guess

*That* is the worst case scenario you can imagine...? There's far, far worse possibilities out there.

Hell, I wouldn't even say it's "that bad" if they don't try to block the modder from publicly releasing his\her mods on PC non-profit or for-profit as he sees fit. What do I care if consoles get a mod or two?

On the other hand, the possibilities for malicious use of the content are... Near limitless. I'll let your mind dwell on what those could be, but if that's all they are going to do then I'm going to be pretty freaking happy with their business practices on that one.

Not sure how crazy this exactly is, too tired to figure out lawyer speech. But hey, not really your mod any-more I guess?

This is so naive. Why?

It's $10,000. Who cares what they do to the mod.

According to the rules, if you enter the contest the mod belongs to them, even if you lose.

Furthermore, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally grant to NVIDIA, on a royalty-free and non-exclusive basis, a perpetual, irrevocable, freely transferable, freely assignable, freely sublicensable, worldwide license to run, use, copy, reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, exhibit, demonstrate, edit, modify, adapt, and create derivative works from, each of your entries in this promotion, whether for purposes related to this promotion or otherwise, and whether via the Internet, electronic, digital, broadcast, theatrical, print, or any other communications media now known or hereafter developed, and in each case free of any and all restrictions and limitations whatsoever (except as imposed by law). 

According to the rules, if you enter the contest the mod belongs to them, even if you lose.

Wow...you can spend 100 hard working hours on a mod, submit it, lose. Five days later it's on the PSN for $5...and you're not getting a penny. xD

Free labor!

Wow...you can spend 100 hard working hours on a mod, submit it, lose. Five days later it's on the PSN for $5...and you're not getting a penny. xD

Free labor!

Now you have a change to feel like a intern at Beth. Just even worse, not getting paid at all. *cough* Workshop DLC *cough*

If they do paid mods (hopefully right this time, fair cut and providing working tools/information), better do that.

But there are some mods with less time that will get more likes. Thankfully sexified followers are limited by the rules.

But this means some awesome mods with huge time investment will get buried in the mass just because they look like less. Hard enough to find those on the nexus or here.

Free labor!

Just keep giving it away for free on Nexus or here, let them worry about dealing with their own bugfixes for their version.

Furthermore, you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally grant to NVIDIA, on a royalty-free and non-exclusive basis, a perpetual, irrevocable, freely transferable, freely assignable, freely sublicensable, worldwide license to run, use, copy, reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, exhibit, demonstrate, edit, modify, adapt, and create derivative works from, each of your entries in this promotion, whether for purposes related to this promotion or otherwise, and whether via the Internet, electronic, digital, broadcast, theatrical, print, or any other communications media now known or hereafter developed, and in each case free of any and all restrictions and limitations whatsoever (except as imposed by law).

Not exactly. The keyword is LICENSE. A license is *not* ownership, it just means you're giving them permission. The creator of the mod keeps the rights themselves, and he/she is free to use, copy, reproduce, yadayadayada the mod as he sees fit.

This is further strengthened by the license being non-exclusive. So, you could submit it to NVIDIA, but, let's say Coca Cola comes later and tells you they like the mod, and offers *you* 10k if they can use it in an advertisement campaign, then you are allowed to accept that offer as well. However, if Coca Cola instead goes to NVIDIA, and wants to make a deal so they can use the mod in their advertisement campaign, then NVIDIA is allowed to accept that offer as well.

As you might have noticed, I also bolded the royalty-free bit. Say, you do not win the contest, but NVIDIA somehow still manages to capitalize on the mod (least that could happen is they offer it for download on their website in a list of "100 best FO4 mods", but it might as well be included in a special edition Fallout 4 NVIDIA Graphics Card pack), then they won't have to pay you, and you wouldn't have any case to sue them claiming you obviously should've won. A few years ago, some company forgot about that bit, released some stuff made by people who didn't win a contest, so they sued and the judge agreed they should be compensated

Overall, I think it looks pretty solid for both modders and NVIDIA. It's up to the modders if they want to make something that might bring them 10k and maybe some fame, maintaining the rights on their work in exchange for a license. Bethesda's UELA on the CK is probably less modder-friendly.

Guest endgameaddiction

You actually think you get $10,000? Go to Vegas and win $10,000 and you'll see by the time they tax the shit out of you, you are getting less than half of that.

Any mod uploaded to Bethsada net isn't your mod anymore...

Well its like this...Its your mod but they have full Licensing Super Powers which translates to they own full powers of your mod....But hey its your idea just be happy we're letting you have space on our server.

And the contents of anything in said file are basically also theirs....Also your Avatar, idea, all sounds, the whole way you package and deliver the idea all its concepts....Everything...even the file page.

Of course there are clauses that go like this...

If said mod is found to contain illegal assets you retain the right to be held completely liable for said stuff.

Guest endgameaddiction

I wonder how much they could possibly make out of the mods? Also, this certainly confirms the paid mods being slowly implemented, poor console peasants.

With Bethesda taking ownership of your mod and say putting it behind paywall or using it as part of a new DLC or expanion, 10k isnt' anything in comparison as to what they will make. What ever they plan to do with people's forfeited mods. It certainly doesn't sound good and I always felt that EULA was fishy.

Since their attempt with paid mods, anything they say and do has a catch to it.

Bethesda's business ethics make me sick.

This contest is from NVIDIA though, not from Bethesda.

So if you have your mod on Nexus already and are receiving donations from the community for it, will you have to remove it?

No, they get a non-exclusive license, not ownership. You're still free to distribute, sell, modify, update, whatever you want with the mod. It's just that NVIDIA gets the right to do whatever they wish with the copy you submit.

Releasing a submitted mod elsewhere before NVIDIA decides on the winners will probably reduce your chances to win though, it wouldn't amaze me if they preferred people to see the mod for the first time through them.

Payed mods will never work because they will need constant updating and fixing.

And anything that needs a framework? good luck with that shit because that framework will need 3 other things to work.

This will never happen except for armor/weapon mods and whatnot.

Archived