Skyrim Vram and W10??

Afro68

I'm planning on upgrading my system to the new 1080 nvidia card and going 4K. I know it's only going to be 60FPS max but I don't play first person shooters so that's fine with me. I've seen where there are issues with cards with more than 4gb of vram and windows 10. Will my skyrim game be limited to only 4gb of vram though I'll have 8gb?

Yes you will be limited to 4064mb of VRAM regardless. I have the same issue currently with my 980 TI's.

Ughh, will my game run like crap at 4k even with possibly two 1080's, you think? I know there are some videos out there where some guys are doing 4k so I guess I'll be okay.

You should be fine it just depends on all the mods you have installed. Also when I learned of it, & searched about it, people have different results. Some people use up about 4700mb before the game crashes. & others once it goes over 4064mb it crashes. My situation is I can go over 4064mb without it crashing right away. But it eventually crash, usually around 4550mb. 

I'm planning on upgrading my system to the new 1080 nvidia card and going 4K. I know it's only going to be 60FPS max but I don't play first person shooters so that's fine with me. I've seen where there are issues with cards with more than 4gb of vram and windows 10. Will my skyrim game be limited to only 4gb of vram though I'll have 8gb?

Windows has no problem handling more then 4gb vram as far as I'm aware its simply dx9 games limited to 4gb vram should work with dx11 and above without this limitation

-Your skyrim without enb will be limited to 32bit ram usage (4gb)

-Skyrim uses dx9 and should therefor be limited to 4096mb of vram (if you have only 4gb its 4096-space for system)

-If you use a Enb your ram usage should not be limited, but as of dx9 as said limited to 4096 vram and this is what you should use in your enblocal.ini even if you have more

so yes all dx9 games including skyrim are limited to 4gb vram

Feel free to correct me if I'm informed wrong.

You should be fine it just depends on all the mods you have installed. Also when I learned of it, & searched about it, people have different results. Some people use up about 4700mb before the game crashes. & others once it goes over 4064mb it crashes. My situation is I can go over 4064mb without it crashing right away. But it eventually crash, usually around 4550mb. 

Okay, I won't add any more visual mods than I have now keep my fingers crossed...Thanks.

Do you use an enb at all?

Nope. I do mostly development. I don't play too much.

And sorry to Ghost Anubis, I did not pay attention to the specific game. My bad.

Do you use an enb at all?

Nope. I do mostly development. I don't play too much.

And sorry to Ghost Anubis, I did not pay attention to the specific game. My bad.

No worries :P his original post also kinda suggests that he believes all games are limited to 4gb. I overlooked that myself lol.

Archived