cannot access/delete folder in windows 10

Joomla

so i have been pretty angry to my windows for while now since i noticed im unable to do anything to one of the folders on my A: harddrive. its on steam library and its folder for that fallout 4 metalgear solid 5 mod. i had manually placed this folder in there and now when i try to open it it says "access denied" i double check and i have admin rights. i open up the folder properties -> security -> (translated because my os is finnish maybe not 100% accurate) "you must have right to read if you want to inspect this object." -> click advanced option. -> owner ship "cannot use current owner" (http://imgur.com/k2zBgSk) -> click on "continue" -> "you have no rights to view or edit properties of this object." only option is to cancel out of the window nothing else same if i try to change ownership of the folder.

what is causing this kind of problem and how to fix it? i tried microsoft support where they had some images on taking ownership but they tell me to click on buttons when i only see "you have no rights...." text on screen.

can i try to delete said folder with administrator command prompt? //  EDIT nope cannot use commands either http://i.imgur.com/ySTgsGv.png (käyttö estetty = use denied)

Hi,

Try this:

Right-click the Windows start menu button, then open Command prompt (Administrator)

type those lines (or copy paste):

takeown /F "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /A /R /D

icacls "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

What those lines do is they take ownership and grant the Administrators group full priviledges to specified folder and all its contents.

Assuming you are a member of the Administrators group, you should be able to change permissions in the security tab and most importantly remove that folder. 

GL

Hi,

Try this:

Right-click the Windows start menu button, then open Command prompt (Administrator)

type those lines (or copy paste):
takeown /F "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /A /R /D
icacls "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /setowner "Administrators" /T /C

What those lines do is they take ownership and grant the Administrators group full priviledges to specified folder and all its contents.

Assuming you are a member of the Administrators group, you should be able to change permissions in the security tab and most importantly remove that folder. 

GL

hmm weird first line results in: 

"invalid syntax. Value expected for '/D' .

Type "TAKEOWN /?" for usage". "

second line results in (translated from finnish)

"no mapping between account names and security identifiers

successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 0 files"

(original text "Ei kartoitusta tilinimien ja suojaustunnusten välillä.")

that second line seems like it might be connected to fact that my pc seems to be saying no one really owns the the folder that i cannot access. its not displaying any name on ownership page

if it helps this current OS (windows 10) was updated from windows 8.1 how ever folder in question and even the physical hard drive that folder is inside were neither present before i updated to windows 10

hmm weird first line results in: 

"invalid syntax. Value expected for '/D' .

Type "TAKEOWN /?" for usage". "

Whoops, my mistake:

here's corrected line:

takeown /F "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /R /D Y

(Missed the Y to confirm prompts, also removed /A because of error you encountered) 

The second error: did you modify your username in your OS?

Whoops, my mistake:

here's corrected line:

takeown /F "A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4" /R /D Y

(Missed the Y to confirm prompts, also removed /A because of error you encountered) 

The second error: did you modify your username in your OS?

ok so i used the correct line now and its still saying use denied: http://i.imgur.com/XyyC73x.png

just what the heck happened to that one folder?

also no i did not modify my user name or name of my pc. they are the ones i set when i installed win 8.1 originally.

This is getting funnier and funnier :)

Boot your system in safe mode with command prompt and try again to take over the ownership with the cmd, also don't forget to try simply remove it from there.

Alternatively, you could boot a live CD (or pendrive) with linux (Ubuntu for example). Sounds like an overkill, but that's probably the most "sure" solution because linux simply doesn't give a single flying f about Windows permissions :)

This is getting funnier and funnier :)

Boot your system in safe mode with command prompt and try again to take over the ownership with the cmd, also don't forget to try simply remove it from there.

Alternatively, you could boot a live CD (or pendrive) with linux (Ubuntu for example). Sounds like an overkill, but that's probably the most "sure" solution because linux simply doesn't give a single flying f about Windows permissions :)

ok i try the safe mode boot later and then tell how it went. right now i need this one running cause download.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i finally fixed it. and here is the most weirdest strangest thing for me explained in short.

the folder that we tried to delete didnt exist but at the same time kinda did.

so when i went and defragged + optimized my drives (i didnt delete anything at this point) and then restarted my pc

i went to the fallout 4 folder. i went to the data/meshes/armors and... it was gone. 

for some weird fucking reason windows did delete the folder but kind of didnt. and then i assume it got really confused as there was folder that wasnt supposed to exist or some other shit. i assume that during that clean up process my pc found some broken data and decided to over write it or some shit i dont know.

Archived