Cryengine Ports. Possible?

Grine

So a humble bundle has come up which essentially offers meshes of animals, guns, cars, textures, audio and etc...

all for as little money as you want to pay. I was wondering if any of this can be used for fallout 4 since there seems to be a lot of converting going on.

Link to said humble bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle?utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1c4e687b7c-Humble_CRYENGINE_Bundle_B&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-1c4e687b7c-131997993&mc_cid=1c4e687b7c&mc_eid=e4f7b51a15

Afaik, you can export cry engine assets to blender. From that it's easy to get them into the F4 format.

But, i high doubt that you are allowed to use those assets outside of cry engine.

And as those assets are as commercial as they go, somebody doing this would be asking for a C&D letter / lawsuit /etc.

This sounds promising, from their website:

Crytek just announced that they're making their acclaimed CRYENGINE free to use, and we want to start you off right. Included in this bundle are over 20,000 files that took three years and cost millions of dollars to make, and now they can be all yours. Want to sell your game? All assets included are yours to use as many times as you'd like in any commercial project and are completely royalty free!

Maybe we should just ditch Bethesda and make an adult game using Cryengine.

Afaik, you can export cry engine assets to blender. From that it's easy to get them into the F4 format.

But, i high doubt that you are allowed to use those assets outside of cry engine.

And as those assets are as commercial as they go, somebody doing this would be asking for a C&D letter / lawsuit /etc.

From the humble bundle page, these items are royalty free.

Actually if you check the link they are selling you the assets to use commercially if you want, and you can pay whatever you want.  They seem to assume you're going to use them for CryEngine but I don't think they'd be able to do much if you used them, especially non-commercially, in FO4.

There is currently a huge price war going on among engine vendors. I think Unity triggered it by offering a decent product at a very competitive price, so the established engines had their market shares erode and had to react. Which they did. Now they are undercutting each other to the degree that you get their stuff basically for free when licensing their engines used to cost six figure amounts of $. :D

I'd be game to participate in such a thing. Levels, textures, writing. 

Would be nice if someone made a remake of Fallout 4 or better yet New Vegas on cryengine so we don't have to deal with Gamebryo bullshit.

Fuck a remake . . . cmon man... see that box on the ground around your feet? GET OUT OF IT.

This sounds promising, from their website:

Crytek just announced that they're making their acclaimed CRYENGINE free to use, and we want to start you off right. Included in this bundle are over 20,000 files that took three years and cost millions of dollars to make, and now they can be all yours. Want to sell your game? All assets included are yours to use as many times as you'd like in any commercial project and are completely royalty free!

...was pondering this the other day. An entire game created by modders, open source development. UnrealEd4, CryEngine are real contenders. Biggest crowdfund in history is modified cry engine; 64bit for map sizes, so --millions of miles across-- Star Citizen is setting up the engine for aggressive modding, then paying mod authors for content included into live servers from their general funds -- not charging the client. (private servers will be very active as well, and directly accessible from a live server -- LL server instance for example) 

Monetizing for the development assets in an open-source engine starts when projects "Snow Ball" enough in scope to validate fair price offers for massive expansions and upgrades; these packages can be created by "anyone".  

Imagine a parallel to Skyrim as a crowdfund. Perhaps set in a much grittier universe --R.E. Howard's Conan-- for instance. Very adult, no limitations, completely unregulated.  

I've modded a bit with both UnrealEd(2) and CryEngine, (and Q-Radiant) the Creation Kit by Bethesda is antiquated and arbitrary by comparison. I didn't know that Crytek was removing their subscription model, smart move. Time to get back into the fray. Looks like you can pay what you want, then add content to the warehouse and get paid 70% of purchases. Time to fire up zbrush also.

If Bethesda were smart, they'd drop Zenimax, grab hold of CryEngine or UnrealEd and unleash the "crowdfund" kraken.

This right here is genius  hmm, click on the enterprise tab, Bethesda is one of their Licensees, perhaps there's still hope.

Guest jenny2011

The engine wars amuse me. How do they even make money anymore?

(Commercial licensing alone? That would make sense; I doubt many individuals bought the multi-thousand dollar apps, so they wouldn't be losing much...)

The engine wars amuse me. How do they even make money anymore?

(Commercial licensing alone? That would make sense; I doubt many individuals bought the multi-thousand dollar apps, so they wouldn't be losing much...)

Commercial licensing is actually a pretty lucrative way to sell your product.

The first thing is, you promote your tool easily (e.g. anyone can test it). By testing and using it for projects, people are getting familiar with your tool. Then, when the projects become actual sellable products, either people buy your commercial license or they pay the x% of the money they make to you.

The same thing happened already with e.g. Autodesk's 3DsMax, but they used a free "school version" to promote it. The idea is the same, allow people to learn with it and then get part of the money they make - because they'll continue to use it.

This is probably also why Bethesda is still using Havok's engine. Their people have training with the Havok tools and they have contacts with people at Havok to help solve their technical problems. Switching engines would represent a huge investment, not only in money but in time, and a time investment is usually a lot more difficult to make.

Archived