How do I create .esm?

Unknown Master

my question is really simple.  I got a bunch of custom armours I made (don't ask, just some experiments) and I want to know how to compile them into a .esm file so I can install them as mods in my Skyrim.  I already got the meshes/textures and the .nif files, but they just don't show up in my game :(

Help a learning modder out, it's very much appreciated :)

(I realise this isn't an adult mod, but this section has the most traffic so wth :P )

my question is really simple.  I got a bunch of custom armours I made (don't ask, just some experiments) and I want to know how to compile them into a .esm file so I can install them as mods in my Skyrim.

Unless I am mistaken... you don't need an esm for armors and clothing and minor items in the game. ;). It can remain a simple esp that was created with CK.

I already got the meshes/textures and the .nif files, but they just don't show up in my game :(

You need them to be playable, have item codes and then call them by console commands to get them into the game. (not sure if you know that or not)

my question is really simple.  I got a bunch of custom armours I made (don't ask, just some experiments) and I want to know how to compile them into a .esm file so I can install them as mods in my Skyrim.

Unless I am mistaken... you don't need an esm for armors and clothing and minor items in the game. ;). It can remain a simple esp that was created with CK.

I already got the meshes/textures and the .nif files, but they just don't show up in my game :(

You need them to be playable, have item codes and then call them by console commands to get them into the game. (not sure if you know that or not)

That's what I'm trying to do.  At this point I deleted everything and am starting from scratch, with my nose buried in the tutorial :P

That's what I'm trying to do.  At this point I deleted everything and am starting from scratch, with my nose buried in the tutorial :P

I don't believe you need your mod to be an ESM. Just let it be a ESP for now and focus on getting the armors imported into the CK and with the proper values (armor rating along with Item IDs and such) If you need an ESM I am pretty confident it can be converted later. You sound like you have problems just getting the nifs and such imported as well. (can't help much there, never done that, know the general idea but not the fine tuned procedures :))

An esm is really only needed if you are going to use it as a resource for another mod.  In other words, have an esp pull from it (master and its dependent).  Otherwise, stick to just making an esp with the clothing/armors/weapons in it.

There you go right from the ... authority :P..

I make no claim of knowing it all.......far from that.  I have a lot to learn and always will.  However, the only other reason I know of to go the route of an esm besides as a resource, is for compatibility.  Just know that if you do go that way, any esp that contains a conflict or a loose file will automatically trump the esm info.  Something to keep in mind.

Basically use esp unless you have to use an ESM. For simple armors/clothing/weapons etc there is no reason I can think of to make it an ESM. ;). gregathit just confirmed my thoughts. On an similar subject I want to start doing exactly the same thing as you (except it would be for assets that I like from mods) into an ESP so that I can have it available when I want it and not have to have 50 mods installed to get it.

Thanks for all your help guys, I finally did it lol.  We're learning 3Ds Max at university so hopefully as soon as I get better I'll be able to create some quality armour mods for the general public :P (I doubt they'll be LL material, I would hate for my would be employers to find out about this lol)

Again thanks for all your help, you can close this thread :D

Your work is fine even if it isn't adult in orientation. WE need regular armors as well so don't be shy about uploading a few of them here.

As for your "future employer" finding about this site, I don't see how unless you decide to use his computer to access this sight on your account. Other than that... there is no way I can see him / her finding about it ;). Besides. if they could... the damage is done, you have a history here and that would be enough :P

Ah well, there is a difference between uploading sfw material on a separate account and uploading adult stuff on this one, and it's more a matter of what I'm going to devote my time on (I can always create a different account and upload dirty stuff from that, but I wouldn't have time).  Of course I won't be using their PCs but if I link my mod contributions to my portfolio I want to make sure it's all on a clean account :P (I'm not worried about snooping on my network, that stuff is illegal in the EU)

Yes. you have to have a absolutely clean system where you have your mods located at. Like at Nexus etc where you can show your stuff in an environment (portfolio I assume) that is as clean as possible and yes. you would have to be absolutely sure that your content, accounts etc never cross for anyone to find. It can be done and not that hard to do but you have to be very diligent.

As far as time goes, armors and such are simple things and don't require much time to support if you decided to create some special editions for here. And creating different clean and "dirty" account for different sites (clean Nexus, Dirty LL etc) isn't that hard after setting things up.. Trust me... I know ;).

There are many ways to do this and I can elaborate more (even in PM if you desire) on how to help keep things clean on both areas.

Archived