Tropical Skyrim - Improving Performance

th8827

I have Tropical Skyrim and TSOP (Tropical Skyrim Optimization... something that starts with P, probably Project) , but my relatively high end PC (Alienware Aurora R4 with liquid cooling) is still struggling in the heavily wooded areas, kicking its internal fans into high gear and, if ignored, eventually crashing. Any advice on how to improve performance without completely destroying the visuals? Either through computer settings, or mod tweaks.

My computer has not been playing well in general, since updating to Windows 10, way back when it was new. Are there any settings that were set badly by the update that I should adjust?

how old is your laptop? I've had performance issues with my 3.5 year old laptop past months. one moment games would run okay, the next it would be a slideshow. Found out with http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html that my cpu and gpu were running hot(cpu 70 with peaks of 90, gpu 70 all the time)

opened up my laptop, reapplied thermal paste(and took out a dust filter*) and its running very smooth again, fallout 4 40-50 fps where it was struggling with 20 before for example. CPU now running aorun 60-65 with peaks of 75 and gpu holding at 50

*note on dust filter, there was no dust filter installed in the factory, but over the years all the dust combined and stuck together formed a literal dust filter between the fan and exhaust, blocking 50 of the airflow

Might be worth looking into since you mention "way back wqhen win10 was new" Granted, thats not even a year but still. Might also be win10 as you mention you've had problems since upgrading to that

you could give optimizer textures a shot, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/? , and/or tweak some settings in your skyrimprefs.ini.. for as example these..

fGrassStartFadeDistance 

fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance 
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance 

bRenderSkinnedTrees

uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender 

bTreesReceiveShadows

basically anything that involves your landscape, shadows, lights.. lower the values and then give it a shot, take it down little by little until you notice an increase in performance/fps gain... also i think some mods basically require you to have some values at 1 to run the mod.

couple performance inis that you could take a look at and give a shot as well

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6387/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51300/?

google anything about tweaks to your ini files or even your skyrim launcher settings for better performance and give them a shot, couple videos on youtube as well.

i've even used this guide and got a performance boost

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222933354

how old is your laptop?

It's a desktop PC. That's what's bothering me about this. It should be running better than it is... I can run most games at max settings with no problem.

Inter Core 17-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz

16 GB Ram

hmm where did I get the idea of laptop :s doesnt matter really, might still be worth to open it up and see if theres a lot of dust on the fans/heatsinks(yes I read you have water cooling, but that water also needs to be cooled) Lot easier to do with desktop then with laptop for sure.

The whole fans speeding up and if ignored freezing/crashing and it not being limited to skyrim might be cooling issues. If you're not comfortable opening it up then at least get that program I linked and keep it running while playing skyrim, could give you some usefull feedback on what is happening.

how old is your laptop?

It's a desktop PC. That's what's bothering me about this. It should be running better than it is... I can run most games at max settings with no problem.

Inter Core 17-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz

16 GB Ram

hmm where did I get the idea of laptop :s doesnt matter really, might still be worth to open it up and see if theres a lot of dust on the fans/heatsinks(yes I read you have water cooling, but that water also needs to be cooled) Lot easier to do with desktop then with laptop for sure.

The whole fans speeding up and if ignored freezing/crashing and it not being limited to skyrim might be cooling issues. If you're not comfortable opening it up then at least get that program I linked and keep it running while playing skyrim, could give you some usefull feedback on what is happening.

I cleaned it out once before, early last year, but I'll try again.

Archived