I can only load games If I start a new one first

Papsmear08

I'm a rather new modder of Skyrim, and ever since I started downloading things from LoversLab I seem to only be able to load games if I click the "New game" button on the main menu, make a whole new character, then I press Esc, and I can load a previous save from there.

It doesn't crash or anything when I try to load a game from the main menu, infact, it doesn't even freeze. Its just the normal loading screen and the tips cycle normally as if It where loading correctly. This goes on forever. The longest I've timed was 27 minutes. 

To my knowledge, I've installed everything correctly and I dont ever recall seeing an error at anytime. I've launched the FNIS generator and I've used it correctly when I was supposed to. Does anyone have any idea on what the problem is/any steps I cant take to fix it

It's quite normal for Skyrim.

To speed up the process, use "coc ctest" or "coc qasmoke" at Main menu to load temporary cell before loading your intend save.

SKSE has implement Infinite Load Screen that may help you, add this line to skse.ini

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024 <-- You may try to change this value starting from 768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Have you tried this? Safety Load

Dont use that, it is obsolete.

SKSE is way better.

And as other says, it is one common problem.

You can load one older save. Or make one save in one cave or something. Load that first let it load up, and load the save you want to play later.

Though obsolete, still works until now, worth trying too lol

It's quite normal for Skyrim.

Only when you have many mods, not quite true for the vanilla game.

Why use something that is obsolete? And it is already in SKSE?

People say it's not obsolete.

Safety Load:

Install Safety Load if you have a infinite loading screen or freeze at any point. It fixes a bug in memory allocation that causes deadlock. Yes you still need this if you have SKSE memory patch, no they don't do the same thing. SKSE memory patch hides the problem of deadlock for longer because it allocates a larger memory block. If you don't have freeze or infinite loading screen at all then you don't need this.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56084-crash-fixes/

I'm a rather new modder of Skyrim, and ever since I started downloading things from LoversLab I seem to only be able to load games if I click the "New game" button on the main menu, make a whole new character, then I press Esc, and I can load a previous save from there.

It doesn't crash or anything when I try to load a game from the main menu, infact, it doesn't even freeze. Its just the normal loading screen and the tips cycle normally as if It where loading correctly. This goes on forever. The longest I've timed was 27 minutes. 

To my knowledge, I've installed everything correctly and I dont ever recall seeing an error at anytime. I've launched the FNIS generator and I've used it correctly when I was supposed to. Does anyone have any idea on what the problem is/any steps I cant take to fix it

If you want to know why starting a new game first works, it is because when Skyrim loads a game (or starts a new one) it allocates two blocks of memory to load game data.  Some of this is generic game data used by the engine, some is specific to your save.  These blocks are not overly large and when the first one fills up, the game crashes.  If you are loading a save that is outside, or in the presence of things that are governed by scripts (other actors, weapon racks, etc.) or just have an old save with a lot of quest and script data, it is easy for this first memory block to get full (the Windhelm area is a good example of this due to the number of actors present in the docks, which is not an isolated cell).  This is why loading a save in an isolated location or starting a new game (or just using the console to create a new character via "coc qasmoke" or "coc riverwood") will allow you to then load your game.

This behavior is limited to loading saves from the main menu.  Once you are in-game and load saves from the ESC menu, this is no longer an issue because most of the game data is already loaded.  To avoid this issue, either save your game in isolated interior locations or use "coc qasmoke" from the main menu, then load your save.  It is a limitation of the Skyrim game engine that is exposed by moderate mod use.  It can not be avoided under these circumstances but it's easy to work around as I've outlined - i.e. don't load your problematic saves from the main menu.  Load a safe save and then load your save from the in-game ESC menu.

If your game crashes when attempting to load a save from the ESC menu in-game, you have other problems, such as broken or corrupted saves with orphaned scripts, missing script references, broken meshes equipped by actors or some other mod conflict caused by dirty edits.

If you want to know why starting a new game first works, it is because when Skyrim loads a game (or starts a new one) it allocates two blocks of memory to load game data.  Some of this is generic game data used by the engine, some is specific to your save.  These blocks are not overly large and when the first one fills up, the game crashes.  If you are loading a save that is outside, or in the presence of things that are governed by scripts (other actors, weapon racks, etc.) or just have an old save with a lot of quest and script data, it is easy for this first memory block to get full (the Windhelm area is a good example of this due to the number of actors present in the docks, which is not an isolated cell).  This is why loading a save in an isolated location or starting a new game (or just using the console to create a new character via "coc qasmoke" or "coc riverwood") will allow you to then load your game.

This behavior is limited to loading saves from the main menu.  Once you are in-game and load saves from the ESC menu, this is no longer an issue because most of the game data is already loaded.  To avoid this issue, either save your game in isolated interior locations or use "coc qasmoke" from the main menu, then load your save.  It is a limitation of the Skyrim game engine that is exposed by moderate mod use.  It can not be avoided under these circumstances but it's easy to work around as I've outlined - i.e. don't load your problematic saves from the main menu.  Load a safe save and then load your save from the in-game ESC menu.

If your game crashes when attempting to load a save from the ESC menu in-game, you have other problems, such as broken or corrupted saves with orphaned scripts, missing script references, broken meshes equipped by actors or some other mod conflict caused by dirty edits.

If that's the case, should I uninstall some mods to decrease the amount of items loaded initially? Would that even help?

If that's the case, should I uninstall some mods to decrease the amount of items loaded initially? Would that even help?

It's not necessary if you can load your saves from the in-game (ESC) menu.  It's a limitation of the Skyrim engine which was never meant to be modded to this degree, but it works fine as long as you don't try to load your saves from the main menu.

It's not necessary if you can load your saves from the in-game (ESC) menu.  It's a limitation of the Skyrim engine which was never meant to be modded to this degree, but it works fine as long as you don't try to load your saves from the main menu.

So Im stuck loading from qasmoke? Damn that's annoying. Since its not an issue with my PC, and with the skyrim engine, does everyone have to do this?

And theres absolutely No way to fix this?

Well, I also have problems like that (running almost 233 mods with 1 merged patch that contains 36 weapons mod, Really I'm insane), but I stick to what Kastagir do

Load from another older save which was saved inside a small interior (like Breezehome) or inside a cave, or my very first save which is cleaner from other save

Start a new game then get back to main menu to load a save is last resort for me

So Im stuck loading from qasmoke? Damn that's annoying. Since its not an issue with my PC, and with the skyrim engine, does everyone have to do this?

And theres absolutely No way to fix this?

Aside from playing with fewer than 10 or so mods, no, there is no way to fix this.  That's Skyrim. 

New games aren't affected because they don't have as much information stored in them from quests, scripts and world data.  You can reduce the likelihood of this happening by using fewer scripted mods, lower resolution texture replacers or just fewer mods in general.  Those are your only options.  Personally, I end all of my sessions with a save in Breezehome and I have zero problems loading these saves from the main menu - but the only other actor present is Lydia.  More followers will prevent even this from working.

Uninstall mods would help more or less, depends on. Scripts aren't really deleted, there is a chance to get them stopped if you make a 'clean' save, but no guarantee. Removing armors, textures etc would help, though. A save cleaner might also help , there are two: Something like script cleaner (don't use it and don't really remember the name) which should solve the script problem, but should be used careful since it could kill your save. Or Save cleaner which is pretty simple and save to use, doesn't solve the scripts problem but maybe yours.

Uninstall mods would help more or less, depends on.

You seem to be unclear on what the problem is or what is fixed by certain actions.  Here are some less vague responses.

Scripts aren't really deleted, there is a chance to get them stopped if you make a 'clean' save, but no guarantee.

There are two kinds of script data that are saved in a game save.  Active scripts and called (non-active) scripts.  If active scripts are present and running in a save and the mod containing them is removed, they are "orphaned" scripts.  When orphaned scripts' timers or triggers occur, the game crashes because the script can not be found.  Called scripts are used by mods that use an MCM menu.  The only time a "clean save" will help you is if a mod that uses an MCM updates its scripts, but you'll still have script references in your save.  These are harmless and only generate papyrus log spam, but a save cleaner will remove them.  Performing a "clean save" will never solve a crash problem, nor will it stop a running script or remove scripts or script references.

You should only use a save cleaner (like this one) to remove script references.  You can try to remove orphaned scripts with that tool, but chances are your game is already broken and there is no guarantee that it can be fixed by removing orphaned scripts.

Uninstall mods would help more or less, depends on.

You seem to be unclear on what the problem is or what is fixed by certain actions.  Here are some less vague responses.

Scripts aren't really deleted, there is a chance to get them stopped if you make a 'clean' save, but no guarantee.

There are two kinds of script data that are saved in a game save.  Active scripts and called (non-active) scripts.  If active scripts are present and running in a save and the mod containing them is removed, they are "orphaned" scripts.  When orphaned scripts' timers or triggers occur, the game crashes because the script can not be found.  Called scripts are used by mods that use an MCM menu.  The only time a "clean save" will help you is if a mod that uses an MCM updates its scripts, but you'll still have script references in your save.  These are harmless and only generate papyrus log spam, but a save cleaner will remove them.  Performing a "clean save" will never solve a crash problem, nor will it stop a running script or remove scripts or script references.

You should only use a save cleaner (like this one) to remove script references.  You can try to remove orphaned scripts with that tool, but chances are your game is already broken and there is no guarantee that it can be fixed by removing orphaned scripts.

That i'm unclear what the problem is, well, that's because i'm not the OP and i don't have a problem. But yes, i wasn't precise because i didn't know exactly, you've fixed that and i've learned something :)

Archived