Recurve Longbows

markdf

Is there a good mod for adding big longbows, the kind that are hard to draw and can put an arrow through a tank?

I was checking out "Longbows", aka "Recurve Longbows", but it is out of date and seems to conflict with Complete Crafting Overhaul and Campfire. But something like that would be great.

I'm using Archery Gameplay Overhaul, and I really like the idea of having a mod that split the bows into smaller shortbows for regular combat, and big longbows for hunting and sniping.

I believe you might be looking for ACE - Combat Skills.

I haven't used the mod (yet) and thus cannot vouch for how bug-free or good it is, but despite the main file not having been updated since 2012, many users are still using it without issue and it has a reasonable degree of popularity.

It's also fully modular, so if you don't want everything, you are able to pick and choose. The archery module separates bows into two types: light and long.

Light bows fire quickly and do less damage, while long bows are heavy, good for sniping, and can pierce armors to a certain extent. As I don't know how "heavy" the ACE long bows are, and I don't know your standards for these types of bows, I can't say how closely it will fit your preference. However, it is the closest thing I have found to what you're describing.

The ACE archery module also makes some changes to the perk trees, so if you are using a perk overhaul that you would like to keep, it may be incompatible.

ACE - Combat Skills - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10037/?

If this does not suit your fancy, or you would like to try something different from ACE, Nock to Tip might be what you're looking for instead.

Nock to Tip mostly focuses on the crafting aspect of arrows to make their creation and the tempering of the bow to be more realistic, but it also makes some changes to gameplay. Arrows penetrate deeper, fly further, and multiple types of bows can be crafted. These include high tension bows, with high tension drawstrings. These bows take longer to draw back, but fly further, and pierce more than their lower tension counterparts.

The mod also makes slight changes to the vanilla perk trees, but is compatible with perk overhaul mods as long as you place Nock to Tip above your perk overhaul mod in the load order. It is also compatible with Archery Gameplay Overhaul, but AGO will take precedence and overwrite a bow bashing animation included in Nock to Tip. Other than this, it doesn't change anything.

Nock to Tip - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65317/?

Neither of these mods (I believe) alter textures much, so if you're equally or more concerned about your bow looking like a huge longbow, try checking out Real Bows, because the retextures may be just what you're looking for.

I have no knowledge of it's compatibility with the above two mods, so back up your files before installing, or search the internet for users looking for or providing similar information.

Real Bows - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64440/?

If you're into Archery mods like I am, AGO's nexus page has some links to other mods under the compatibility and recommended sections. They are compatible with AGO (for the most part) but may not be compatible with each other, so read what they do carefully before installing duplicates.

~Smexy

Archived