Anyone using Quixel? Have a question!

worsin

Ive been getting into Quixel recently and was wondering if anyone out there is using it and if you have any tips on creating proper specular maps for Fallout 4 using Quixel.

From what i can see all of the options for exporting maps end up providing Diffuse, Normals, Grayscale Specular Maps, Gloss Maps, Roughness Maps etc.

So far all the Fallout Textures ive worked with use Color Specular maps (not sure the official name) where Green is Reflection Blue is Specularity and Red is Metalness (pretty sure thats how they work)

Anyway im wondering if anyone knows the best export profile to use and perhaps how to combine the Gloss/ grayscale specular maps to create the color maps.

Thanks in advance!

I would say green was roughness, and i've not seen the blue channel get used.

If there was an export profile i would be surprised, i'm pretty sure bethesda just combined maps to save on performance.

So they are not colour specular maps (those are used to tint reflections/highlights) but grayscale stored in colour channels.

I would just save out the metalness and roughness map and then paste them in to the red, green channel and fill the blue with black and save that out as "_name_S.dds".

Though i am a little curious as to why you thought the blue channel was for specularity? metal/roughness replace the spec map, and all the "_s" maps i've looked at have no data in the blue channel.

Yeah Fallout 4 PBR being in-house and used selectively as they did it brings up some differences from your typical executions, so Vioxsis has the right of it. Generally I'd recommend not just throwing your generated Roughness and Metalness maps in willy-nilly though; you'll want to trim them up a bit manually afterward value-wise especially.

Use Photoshop's new Intel plugin and save it with BC5 by the way, when you're done.

Red <- Metalness
Green <- Roughness
Blue <- Plain black square

Archived