Guest MonsterFish

A strawberry is not an actual berry, but a banana is. By technical definition, a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed. The strawberry, however has its dry, yellow "seeds" on the outside (each of which is actually considered a separate fruit).

Expanding on this, bananas are culinary spices. They grow on herbaceous plants, but a herb is the leafy green parts of a plant used for flavouring in many food items around the world. A spice is another part of the plant, including bark or berries. While the banana tree does look like a tree, it is in fact a herbaceous plant where the woody part of the tree is actually the stem. Bananas are more closely related to ginger than they are to blackberries (Though the root of the ginger is used, not the flower). A strawberry is a type of rose bush, the part you it is more like the rose hip of a standard rose. I don't really know too much about botany to understand any of the next part. A pineapple is a berry.

Anglerfish show extreme sexual dimorphism. Almost all anglerfish are female, male anglerfish lead very sad lives. They will mature and then seek out a female, where they will latch on to them and immediately merge with her body. Everything from his eyes, mouth, even blood vessels will merge into her body until all that's left is a tiny little penis and testes that leaks sperm so she can procreate. Sounds a lot like my ex-wife amirite ahuheuheuhe!

<- So 'he' is a 'she'

Why do I know much shit about random things but when it comes to real life applications I know nothing?

A strawberry is not an actual berry, but a banana is. By technical definition, a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed. The strawberry, however has its dry, yellow "seeds" on the outside (each of which is actually considered a separate fruit).

Expanding on this, bananas are culinary spices. They grow on herbaceous plants, but a herb is the leafy green parts of a plant used for flavouring in many food items around the world. A spice is another part of the plant, including bark or berries. While the banana tree does look like a tree, it is in fact a herbaceous plant where the woody part of the tree is actually the stem. Bananas are more closely related to ginger than they are to blackberries (Though the root of the ginger is used, not the flower). A strawberry is a type of rose bush, the part you it is more like the rose hip of a standard rose. I don't really know too much about botany to understand any of the next part. A pineapple is a berry.

Anglerfish show extreme sexual dimorphism. Almost all anglerfish are female, male anglerfish lead very sad lives. They will mature and then seek out a female, where they will latch on to them and immediately merge with her body. Everything from his eyes, mouth, even blood vessels will merge into her body until all that's left is a tiny little penis and testes that leaks sperm so she can procreate. Sounds a lot like my ex-wife amirite ahuheuheuhe!

<- So 'he' is a 'she'

Why do I know much shit about random things but when it comes to real life applications I know nothing?

Also all banana's are the same species as there is only one banana species in the world.

Guest MonsterFish

I actually believe that the idea that chocolate is running out is complete bullshit. It just seems suspiciously like one of those things corporations would say so they can up the price of it without people complaining.

Oh no! The chocolate is running out :( What will we do without chocolate? :(

Gummy bears and jelly babies will rise to power!

Yay Jelly Babies FTW!!! I just hope the black ones don't run out :lol:

In 1941 as the city of Leningrad was surrounded, the scientists at the seed bank refused to eat from the collection and ended up dying of hunger still surrounded by rooms of edible plants

Guest MonsterFish

This is the great sound of an A-10 Thunderbolt firing its GAU-8 30MM payload. The first sound you hear is each and every bullet that it fires breaking the sound barrier. The second is the gun itself firing. The gun is equally impressive, but a lot of videos are pretty graphic so I won't show them, look them up. The one shown here was on a training exercise in RAF Holbeach in Norfolk.

That was impressive :)

As a kid I lived in Lincolnshire and we regularly had the RAF do low level training over where we lived (they were allowed o back then) and they would fly so low that us kids waved to the pilots. Don't recall them ever waving back though :(

Guest MonsterFish

As a kid I lived in Lincolnshire and we regularly had the RAF do low level training over where we lived (they were allowed o back then) and they would fly so low that us kids waved to the pilots. Don't recall them ever waving back though :(

Pilots always have to keep an eye on their equipment or on the skies. Taking their eyes off of it for a single second can result in a spin. Plus from most cockpits you can't actually see the ground until you're in a tilt.

The Warthog was always one of my favourite planes. I am not sure if it is the design. The unusual look combined with the firepower of the gatling is just impressive.

I was lucky enough to see them in a joint exercise and was impressed how they could "sneak up" and unleash their wrath.

And the sounds have pretty much a psychological effect as well.

Which reminds me of another (fun) fact: The german StuKa had a little wind turbine on one of the landing gears, called "Jericho Trompete" (Trumpet of Jericho). It had no other meaning than to be used as a psychological weapon. The sound you hear in the old footage when the StuKa goes into a dive is this wind turbine.

Pilots always have to keep an eye on their equipment or on the skies. Taking their eyes off of it for a single second can result in a spin. Plus from most cockpits you can't actually see the ground until you're in a tilt.

Yeah I get that now, as a kid though it we always waved still :lol:

The Warthog was always one of my favourite planes. I am not sure if it is the design. The unusual look combined with the firepower of the gatling is just impressive.

I was lucky enough to see them in a joint exercise and was impressed how they could "sneak up" and unleash their wrath.

And the sounds have pretty much a psychological effect as well.

Which reminds me of another (fun) fact: The german StuKa had a little wind turbine on one of the landing gears, called "Jericho Trompete" (Trumpet of Jericho). It had no other meaning than to be used as a psychological weapon. The sound you hear in the old footage when the StuKa goes into a dive is this wind turbine.

I never knew it was a seperate turbine making that noise

Guest MonsterFish

Okay so this one's a little funzies.

During WWI and WWII, and some time after, they made some weird shit. I mean, some really weird shit. Most of them were pen and paper, some got past that phase and into the prototype phase. So, I'm gonna post some weird vehicles and put what they were and what their function was in the spoiler. You can choose to 'play along' if you want and take some wild jabs in the dark, or you can just ignore it and open up the spoilers. Or just skip this post completely

I'll start with an easy one and something I hope you all should know.

ratte.jpg

P.1000 Ratte - German - WWII

Yes, the famed P.1000 Ratte. As you can probably tell by the fact that this is just a model and not an actual thing, the P.1000 Ratte never made it past its postulation phase. The Ratte was meant to be huge landship - quite literally. They were to be armed with C/34 Naval Cannons normally meant for battleships. It would also be fitted with flak cannons and ground guns to keep the massive cruiser from attacks.

P1500_macedon.png

P.1500 Monster - German - WWII

And you thought the Ratte was huge, the P.1500 is Rattes older brother. The monster was basically an attempt to bring the Gustav Gun off the rails and onto land. Nearly 48 meters of cannon that shot a shell with the radius of nearly a meter. What's truly scary about the Monster is that their shells were bigger than the god-darn tanks.

al2.png

Alkett VsKfz 617 - Germany - WWII

GOD DAMN NAZI MECH. Nah, The Alkett VsKfz was dubbed 'Minenraumer', they were minesweepers with an Ausf B. base and a Pz. Kpfw I turret. There were multiple inceptions of the Minenraumer, each one as weird as the last.

goliath2.jpg

Leichter Ladungstrager Goliath SD.Kfz.302 - Germany - WWII

Remote Control Tank... Yeah. It was basically one of those weird tanks packed with explosives. They were mostly used for blowing holes in minefields but could also be driven up to tanks and blown the fuck up.

g3.jpg

au1.jpg

Lauser Wargel LW-5 - Germany - WWII

The Wargel LW-5 was used to heave heavier tanks into place during times of storms, in snowy weather or at times when the terrain just favours against them. They were equipped with huge tire spikes and a Maybach HL 108 engine capable of 235 horsepower - It was able to pull up to 53 tons.

ra1.png

Raumpanzer - Germany - WWII

The Raumpanzer doesn't look very lethal. And that's because it wasn't, the Raumpanzer was designed as a riot control and 'obstacle destroyer'. Because when you've forcibly taken over a country, people are bound to riot.

Nellie.jpg

Ritter Midgard-Schlange - German - Pre-WWII

"Nellie" - England - Pre-WWII

The idea for the Ritter Midgard-Schlange was based on WWI Austro-Hungarian trench diggers. It could supposedly tunnel up to 100 meters and made up of several carriages, like a train. The front would be the drill head and three side drills were theorised, the rest would shape the sides of the tunnels. The vehicle never made it past prototypes (The man in the picture is Winston Churchill, these pictures are of the British rival, 'Nellie' which never made an impact on the war since trench warfare was very little).

gv11.png

I feel I have to put this in here for the rather unfortunate part of history we endured. Those are Nazi gas vans meant to go around the country euthanising any 'undesirables'.

rae1.jpg

Raedel Schraubenantireb Schneemaschine - Germany - WWII.

Look familiar? The screw propulsion system is a very real thing that was meant to be able to ge through deep snow by drilling into it. It proved to be a very slow way of doing it but was capable of pulling quite a weight and had good climbing abilities. It could pentrate up to 30CM of snow but no more. It never took off though... untill--

800px-%D0%A8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%

ZIL-2906 - Soviet Russia - Presumably 1960s.

The ZIL 2906, I've always known what it was but I never knew until today what they do. And it seems rather ingenious. The ZIL-2906 was an amphibious screw-driven craft used to recover re-entered space capsules during the Soyuz missions. It was carried on the back of a ZIL-4906 until that vehicle could go no further, at which point the 2906 was unloaded and the mission would continue.

300px-TKS_P1010141_2.jpg

TKS Tankette - Poland - WWII.

Pretty simple, a tankette was a miniature tank. Their small size suited recon missions and infantry support, but they could not stand a chance against the heavier tanks that Germany deployed during the Invasion of Poland. They were often used by German soldiers who had captured them as practice, security or artillery tractors and sometimes for snowplowing. It's worth mentioning that the TKS Tankette was not the only tankette out there. Pretty much every country involved in WWII had some sort of tankette.

300px-2B1_oka.jpg

2B1 Oka - Soviet Russia - 1957

The 2B1 Oka was an experimental 420MM Self Propelled Cannon. On a standard chassis. It was designed to fire a 750 KG payload over 45 KM. Problem was that as soon it shot the recoil was so massive that it virtually tore the tank apart and it couldn't be transported properly. So it was scrapped in 1960.

tsar4.jpg

Tsar Tank - Russia - 1915.

Oddly, this thing was built during WWI. Its big wheels were likely meant so that it could easily cross trenches without getting stuck in the mud. The downside? It got stuck in the mud. It was prototyped twice but never made it to its final stages thanks to it being so heavy that it got stuck and due to the declining Russian economy and heavy costs, both were scrapped in 1923.

And finally the best for last.

kp1.png

Krupp Kuglerpanzer - Germany - 1945.

Nobody fucking knows what this is for. More than likely it was the German version of an improved Tankette that was protected at all sides and would roll along the battlefield rather than on treads. The lack of weapons and the tiny holy could mean that it's a recon vehicle, but some speculate that it's a minesweeper (Roll it down a hill? Though it did have an engine in it) or that you could poke a gun out the front and go duck hunting or something.

Guest MonsterFish

The term 'Hung like a gorilla' is obsolete, because Gorillas actually have very small penises. The ape with the biggest penis-to-body ratio? Humans.

Guest MonsterFish

I never heard "Hung like a Gorilla". I only know "Hung like a horse." (Well, not from personal experience  :-/  :(  :blush:  :lol:) 

Fun Fact:

I just inexplicably started laughing my ass off at that. I have no idea why.

I guess 'Hung like a gorilla' is only a British phrase, I think. I mean, I dno where you're from but I guess elsewhere since the Brits tend not to use A-10s in the Military.

I never heard "Hung like a Gorilla". I only know "Hung like a horse." (Well, not from personal experience  :-/  :(  :blush:  :lol:) 

Fun Fact:

I just inexplicably started laughing my ass off at that. I have no idea why.

I guess 'Hung like a gorilla' is only a British phrase, I think. I mean, I dno where you're from but I guess elsewhere since the Brits tend not to use A-10s in the Military.

It must be local to you as I've never heard that phrase and I'm a Brit.