Risen: a Review

littleman

Alright so I purchased the game Risen recently, after Risen 2 came out the price dropped by half. So I beat it on my first run through, and learned how to play the game the ins and outs of most of the system.

So here I go, its not going to be for everyone I enjoyed the game personally, the game play, the dialogue, and even the lack of unique looking characters.

the game plays as a sand box style game/linear style game hybrid, nothing stops you from trying to go into crypts or tombs, asides the nasty critters waiting for you. (or certain skills for getting past traps)

THE COMBAT

The combat system is not unique, but allows for multiple tactics to be used o overcome even the strongest opponents. at Level 1, in theory you could kill beasts that give a level 30 trouble.

In combat you can choose from several fighting styles:

Staves, axes, swords, archery, crossbow, fire magic, ice magic, and magic magic. ( sorry no stealth killing or stealth hit bonuses for you sneaky types)

As you level in the game you gain learning points, these are possibly one of the most important limited item you can get. unlike most games, where when you level you gain str, dex, mana, health etc in Risen you gain health, that is it. You spend learning points for str, dex, and mana.

That being said, you need learning points for skills as well. Lock-picking, sneak ( useful but not in or for combat) smithing, pickpocketing ( VERY useful), your weapon skills, and magic skills ( you get the idea)

Blindly spending learning points will not only break the bank, but also you character. A sword wielder, is not going to need dex for example, dex is for bows, and ranged damage ( and certain swords, but str still affects the damage.)

Weapons as you upgrade, need strength or dex to wield as well, the first sword you find needs 10 str, the next sword above that needs 15, so if your going to swords up the str when you need to.

( as I have not tackled range or magic combat yet I cannot comment on it)

as for actual combat, you will be in a fight of defensive v offensive all the time and switching between the two constantly. If you think you'll blindly hack and slash, think again. Its all about timing your blows, in fact trying to blindly hack and slash will net you an early death.

As you progress your weapon style you will be granted new ability, all of which are used in your normal combat, such as parry, counter and power striking.

Overall a nice feel, if not at time annoying and hair pulling for some of its clunkyness namely when moving around in a fight.

Ah, and you WILL die constantly so save often.

Dialogue

Its an rpg game, nuff said

It is not bad, but in a lot of cases predictable. It still gives you a nice feel for immersion though, and no fourth wall breakers in the game.

Story

Without spoiling, the story proceeds rather nicely, and again a bit predictable.

there are two major factions in the game, the Bandits, and the order.

Who you choose to join is your own, just know that game play changes immensely.

three major class styles for your character are

the hunter ( bandit quest line)

Warrior of the order ( Warrior quest line)

Mage of the holy flame ( part of the order quest line only more magic)

Once you make a choice, there is no going back period.

your choice will present itself in the game as you progress telling you when or how will be spoiling.

Overall the story is nice, and plenty of visual eye candy to help along the way.

MISC

Visuals, its nice the lighting, the atmosphere, the terrain all nice to the eye, and things are well hidden sort of a real treasure hunt for things.

the bad side, all the characters look like other characters. Aside from major plot line characters, alot of folks look alike.

Interface: It handles nicely, that's all that can be said about it it feels right.

Overall game play, I enjoyed the purchase, and I am not normally pleased.

Rating:

8 of 10 ( -1 point for look alike characters, and animations reused) ( -1 point for clunky areas of the combat system).)

Archived