Slower Levelling and Skill Learning V1.00 (20150806)

View File

Like many players I've never been happy with how fast my character levels up. There are mods which address this like Community Uncapper but I wanted something much simpler which just applied a percentage slowdown across all skills and was easy to use

So basically, this mod slows down the rate at which you learn all skills so that you will level up more slowly.

It works by applying an effect to the player character which will slow down the learning rate by a set percentage. There are five spells that can be used set at 10%, 20%, 30% 40% and 50%. You can use more than one if you really want to slow down your levelling, as the percentages are calculated sequentially you can never go over 100%.

As it just applies a spell effect it is perfectly safe to install and uninstall, there are no scripts to worry about.

Install using a Mod Manager or just drop the plugin into Skyrim/Data folder if you prefer to manually install.

To Use:

Go to console and type "help slower" (without quotes) which will give a list of the five spells.

Slower Skill Learning 10%
Slower Skill Learning 20%
Slower Skill Learning 30%
Slower Skill Learning 40%
Slower Skill Learning 50%

Then type player.addspell xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxx is the spell ID (the number in front of the spell name)) and you will see a message in the top left of your screen to say it's been applied and it will also appear in your Effects menu

To remove the effect simply type player.removespell xxxxxxxx and it will be gone and you will learn at the normal speed again.

If there's enough interest in this I may look at adding a menu with toggles but it's pretty simple to use as it is.

Caveats:

If you use other mods that alter the learning rate like SLA or RND those effects will also be applied so can make levelling slower still.

Credits:

Many thanks to fishburger67 for pointing me in the right direction as to how to make this and to stobor for answering my noob questions

Permissions:

Do not upload this mod to Steam. This mod may not be used or incorporated as part of any other "for profit" or "paid for" mod.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/06/2015
  • Category
  • Requires
  • Special Edition Compatible

I don't get it, I hate leveling my character even with the default rate. I always set my character to Lv50 or 100, with most perks and all skills to 100 after starting a new game just to avoid the leveling. I hate it.

Why would you want to level even slower. Skyrim's difficulty is low even for an unoptimized character and it scales to your level anyways so there is no point in gaining levels except for some quest requirements or leveled items.

The only effect that I found of having lower skill levels is that you can't do some stuff you would want because you don't have the skills so you have to accomplish the same feat using some other skill. For example: I want to kill that guy, I'll use a powerful spell, wait I can't my destruction is too low, I know, I'll summon something to kill him, no dice I don't have the conjuration, I'll just bash his face in with my mace, fuck his damage output is to high, hell kill me. Hell yeah I'll just hop on that rock there where he can't get to me and spam arrows even if my archery is jut lv15 I'll kill him eventually.

In conclusion, lower skill levels are just an annoyance that keep you from playing the game the way you want to. This wouldn't be the case if the game wouldn't level with you but it does so what's the point of this mod? Just to waste time water breathing in a pool or crafting 1000000 leather bracers?

Snip

Yes, that is how you  like to play. But others have different preferences, hence so many different mods. I personaly find it stupid to run around in full daedric 5 hours into the game, kinda defeats the point of the lower sets.

Snip

Yes, that is how you  like to play. But others have different preferences, hence so many different mods. I personaly find it stupid to run around in full daedric 5 hours into the game, kinda defeats the point of the lower sets.

I'm asking what's the appeal. I explained what I felt so people would understand my opinion.

Obviously you are missing the point of the lower sets. You are not supposed to wear them, NPC's are.

I'm asking what's the appeal. I explained what I felt so people would understand my opinion.

Obviously you are missing the point of the lower sets. You are not supposed to wear them, NPC's are.

So you're saying only endgame items were intended for the player? Why are the lower items wearable then?

Going straight to max seems to me like you're skipping out a lot of gameplay, also i'm not a fan of being godlike, one hit killing everything etc. Some might prefer to skip leveling since they already did it god knows how many times, i like to earn the skills i have. Might also have something to do with my Oblivion days, you would miss a lot of enemies if you leveled to max too fast, since certain mobs only spawned from level this to level that.

Personally I prefer to play at lower levels, frankly I find Skyrim gets boring once you go much above L35 - L40 and the game becomes unbalanced. Others appear to feel the same which is why I created this mod

But each to their own, play Skyrim however you enjoy it :)

So you're saying only endgame items were intended for the player? Why are the lower items wearable then?

Going straight to max seems to me like you're skipping out a lot of gameplay, also i'm not a fan of being godlike, one hit killing everything etc. Some might prefer to skip leveling since they already did it god knows how many times, i like to earn the skills i have. Might also have something to do with my Oblivion days, you would miss a lot of enemies if you leveled to max too fast, since certain mobs only spawned from level this to level that.

I'm pretty old school in rpg western or japanese and in those games the best equipment was the one you should use and if there was a way to get them at the beginning you would get it and stick to it. In skyrim, most people use modded clothes most of which are quality wise comparable to either glass, or ebony or even daedric and dragon.

That's exactly my point, in skyrim you're not skipping anything going to max level, on the contrary, you skip gameplay if you don't. By the time when you can do the cool spells and get the fun perks most of the good quests are completed and you're left with the cookie cutter generated ones.

I hear you about Oblivion but in it leveling had a gameplay value, you had to be smart and level your attributes correctly like in a real RPG. Not the case with skyrim which is not a real RPG.

Personally I prefer to play at lower levels, frankly I find Skyrim gets boring once you go much above L35 - L40 and the game becomes unbalanced. Others appear to feel the same which is why I created this mod

But each to their own, play Skyrim however you enjoy it :)

To each their own indeed but I still don't get it. Thanks for being cool about my post, I didn't mean any offense.

I'm pretty old school in rpg western or japanese and in those games the best equipment was the one you should use and if there was a way to get them at the beginning you would get it and stick to it. In skyrim, most people use modded clothes most of which are quality wise comparable to either glass, or ebony or even daedric and dragon.

That's exactly my point, in skyrim you're not skipping anything going to max level, on the contrary, you skip gameplay if you don't. By the time when you can do the cool spells and get the fun perks most of the good quests are completed and you're left with the cookie cutter generated ones.

I hear you about Oblivion but in it leveling had a gameplay value, you had to be smart and level your attributes correctly like in a real RPG. Not the case with skyrim which is not a real RPG.

Well yes, obviously if you're min maxing then yes, going for the best available is only logical, but i don't see skyrim as a game that would need that kind of approach. Now that i think about it, going through slowly might also apeal to the RP crowd, but i wouldn't know.

Can't agree with you on the fun being had only with best spells and perks, i'm also leaning more to what Slorm said. Hell i don't even use shouts if i don't have to. You're right that a lot of people run around in modded gear, but i gotta ask, where's the fun in that? Slap on a bikini with 999 armor and a instakill dagger and go wild, yeah thats fun for about 10 minutes, the only amusing thing that might last longer might obviously be your character but that's a different form of entertainment. It's like my brother, he plays almost everything with godmode or another form of health cheat, i think i'll sooner die of old age before i figure out what's fun about that.

Well yes, obviously if you're min maxing then yes, going for the best available is only logical, but i don't see skyrim as a game that would need that kind of approach. Now that i think about it, going through slowly might also apeal to the RP crowd, but i wouldn't know.

Can't agree with you on the fun being had only with best spells and perks, i'm also leaning more to what Slorm said. Hell i don't even use shouts if i don't have to. You're right that a lot of people run around in modded gear, but i gotta ask, where's the fun in that? Slap on a bikini with 999 armor and a instakill dagger and go wild, yeah thats fun for about 10 minutes, the only amusing thing that might last longer might obviously be your character but that's a different form of entertainment. It's like my brother, he plays almost everything with godmode or another form of health cheat, i think i'll sooner die of old age before i figure out what's fun about that.

I understand now, you're looking for a challenge. But you can't find challenge by being low level in a game that adjust it's difficulty according to your level. If looking for a challenge I play different games. In fact I think I have the world record for beating FFIV on the lowest level, I have the youtube video to prove it.

I play skyrim just to screw around with NPCs most of the time quite literally.

I understand now, you're looking for a challenge. But you can't find challenge by being low level in a game that adjust it's difficulty according to your level. If looking for a challenge I play different games. In fact I think I have the world record for beating FFIV on the lowest level, I have the youtube video to prove it.

There are mods for the difficulty part too :P

There are mods for the difficulty part too :P

I see what you did there. :lol:

Technically the leveling is too fast but then again when you start new games often enough the whole leveling thing becomes annoying. For the most part Skyrim skills are a bit weak anyway. Bethesda has never been very good at implementing skills in their games. Fallout 3 and NV skills for example are horribly weak when compared with Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics.

So, even though slower skill gains are tempting in a way the actual skills are too weak to be worth it IMO. But that's my take and not the absolute truth of the matter. Reworking the whole skill system might be a bit too troublesome task though ;)

Skyrim only levels up with you to a certain extend, and it does so in tier of mobs, and there are also min and max level in selected areas.

Don't be deceive by Oblivion's attribute and stats, if you don't know what you are doing, your character will forever be gimp against stronger foes.

Gear access caps out at around 35 or so when you can buy ebony grade gear, with daedric and dragon gear being the slight exception between craft and find.

There is certainly an appeal to slowing down the leveling process depending on what you are after although Skytweak has a build in experience slider for individual skill tree which might be worth looking into as well.

Skills seem weak because NPC and PC physical combat skill scales differently. NPC has a higher multiplier than PC when it comes to one and, two hand, archery, heavy/light armor. That's why they can use weapon untempered weapon/armor.

you don't actually need this mod, there's another way, and you can set it to level as fast or slow as you want easily.

install skyrim community uncapper http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/?then overwrite the dll with community uncapper config http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41760/?

If you need to know how to configure it for your own game style go to the following page http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/1955-configuring-elys-uncapper/which does a good job of explaining it.

I am very happy with the modified config file and i haven't changed it, but its easy enough to do.

you don't actually need this mod, there's another way, and you can set it to level as fast or slow as you want easily.

install skyrim community uncapper http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/?then overwrite the dll with community uncapper config http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41760/?

If you need to know how to configure it for your own game style go to the following page http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/1955-configuring-elys-uncapper/which does a good job of explaining it.

I am very happy with the modified config file and i haven't changed it, but its easy enough to do.

Slorm mentioned you could use CU, but then stated he made this because he wanted something simpler. Using CU and then another mod to change CU seems needlessly complicated.

I understand the appeal of this, but since I can never get past level 15 or so without starting over because of some new mod, I probably won't use it. ;)

Slorm mentioned you could use CU, but then stated he made this because he wanted something simpler. Using CU and then another mod to change CU seems needlessly complicated.

I understand the appeal of this, but since I can never get past level 15 or so without starting over because of some new mod, I probably won't use it. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out I guess Maddac didn't read the OP.

Tonight I noticed an extra side benefit with CDW (clean version), as this mod slows down skill levelling it has a knock on effect as it also slows down progress through the semesters. To get things back to normal speed requires using a trainer (something I never used to use) which also adds a useful extra gold sink.

Don't think it works with the "dirty" version though (heh those damned naughty students :D )

Thanks for pointing that out I guess Maddac didn't read the OP.

Tonight I noticed an extra side benefit with CDW (clean version), as this mod slows down skill levelling it has a knock on effect as it also slows down progress through the semesters. To get things back to normal speed requires using a trainer (something I never used to use) which also adds a useful extra gold sink.

Don't think it works with the "dirty" version though (heh those damned naughty students :D )

Yeah, perhaps I should limit those. But...nah. ;)

You're right, though - it would take much longer to get through using something like this. Even more realism!

i actually use alternative leveling and that works great for me but this looks interesting so i'll give it a shot and maybe even use both though i don't really use trainers...maybe i should start

as for my responses on what i read before up to this point(feel free to ignore and this will be based on what i remember after reading everything up to this point in 5 minutes), there are mods for almost everything and a little bit of looking is really all it takes to find them which include making things easier or even harder and just to have something to wear to doesn't look like it's never been cleaned(seriously, i have been into akatosh knows what and when leather/metal/cloth gear looks no dirtier afterwords or even wet then i have to question the sanity of what i'm putting on my character's body and when i found someone made a mod that lets me take a bath i stood up from my computer and bowed down to this mod in gratitude) but i never really used any armor, i tended to put them on my follower to keep them alive longer whenever i actually had one, my character was a conjurer who summoned a single sword and tore through my enemies while wearing magica robes i found early on and that was it once i got to that point, the reason i stuck with that was because(this was because i had no idea mods existed and didn't care enough look so i was just playing vanilla by the way so don't be too angry at me for this) every weapon i used/made to this point still weighed something and i found none of it more useful than anything else, from iron to dragon nothing changed my difficulties and i even went so far as to create dragon armor and daedric weapons(dragons weapons didn't exist yet) upgrading them through tempering and enchantment(using the alchemy/enchanting/restoration glitch to make them way stronger than they should have been) and then pickpocketing my enemies and equipping them with that equipment i made(i was kind of an idiot...wait, i'm still that same idiot for playing requiem naked/barehanded with frostfall and with no companions...though i still kill everything so who cares) and that was just to make a challenge when/if i wanted one, i did not optimize my character for anything and really only put in skill points for black smithing and pickpocket(for the reasons above) and i still ultimately saw no real change between ANYTHING I CAME ACROSS in my experience playing the game, the world leveling up with me didn't matter because i never really leveled up when the game said i could, i found it annoying and when a friend talked me into it and i leveled up 60lvls(roughly, it's been a while so i can't remember the exact number but it was excessive) they were rather pissed with me...still are for that actually so i hope they don't read this...actually they don't mod games so no worry over that, but yes, everyone plays games differently whether it's trying to beat a game as fast as possible to finish it and move on to the next one or even slowing down and actually immersing themselves into the game where you take on the role of a person who's power is the ability to learn a language easily...whoop-dee-do...point is(and this is probably obvious) it's a game and games are just to have fun, so do what you want and use what mods you want, no one is forcing you and just relax and enjoy yourself, do what you want and if someone has a new idea for how to play or even they own style of doing it then instead of insulting them just look at it as something you didn't come up with and if you don't see the point or want to question the purpose of it then just look at it as something someone wants to try out and putting it out there for others to try out if they want...even if the thing was added by the people who made the game(i hate pop culture in my swords an fantasy games and find including pop culture in anything other than temporary things to be annoying, i hate pandering to audiences too but i don't mind it on this site because it comes up with rather creative things that make my games feel somewhat newer and fresher) if you read this far without the urge to hit something then thank you and again for actually reading this far, i kind of just posted it vent a little and to give my opinion on a possible dead conversation topic...man i'm an idiot

Wow. I never knew someone would want this type of mod. I've always had an opposite feeling(I guess it's because I've started new game sooo many times, that leveling started being painful for me).

It's actually been quite interesting to see the different opinions and playstyles on levelling.

For me, I originally used to level up as fast as I could and was very much into the mindset of just getting the missions completed. I found after a time and multiple playthroughs that I wanted a more immersive experience and starting adding various mods to that end.

The one thing I noticed was once passed L30 or so most of the enemies became routine and to put this into context I usually play as an assassin/conjurer character, she shouldn't be able to casually walk into a fort and massacre half a dozen bandits toe to toe wearing just light armour with a one handed sword. For me that only only left the bosses and dragons worth the fight.

I tried some other mods like OBIS and HLE but neither really balanced the game the way I wanted it, I played around with the difficulty settings but killing dragons became a pain as it becomes a grind. I did make a small mod to rebalance the Expert levels and above to change the outgoing damage back to 1 (and increase the incoming damage) but then I realised that what I really enjoyed are the earlier parts of the game where it was more of a struggle and most creature/NPC's would put up a fight.

I play now to experience the game just wandering round rather than being driven to complete the next mission, which I personally find a more satisfying approach than how I used to play.

The useful thing with this mod is that as it just applies a spell effect you can add or remove it when you like, so if you don't like the very early levels you can leave it off until you reach the point where you do want slow things down.

Wow. I never knew someone would want this type of mod. I've always had an opposite feeling(I guess it's because I've started new game sooo many times, that leveling started being painful for me).

It's actually been quite interesting to see the different opinions and playstyles on levelling.

For me, I originally used to level up as fast as I could and was very much into the mindset of just getting the missions completed. I found after a time and multiple playthroughs that I wanted a more immersive experience and starting adding various mods to that end.

The one thing I noticed was once passed L30 or so most of the enemies became routine and to put this into context I usually play as an assassin/conjurer character, she shouldn't be able to casually walk into a fort and massacre half a dozen bandits toe to toe wearing just light armour with a one handed sword. For me that only only left the bosses and dragons worth the fight.

I tried some other mods like OBIS and HLE but neither really balanced the game the way I wanted it, I played around with the difficulty settings but killing dragons became a pain as it becomes a grind. I did make a small mod to rebalance the Expert levels and above to change the outgoing damage back to 1 (and increase the incoming damage) but then I realised that what I really enjoyed are the earlier parts of the game where it was more of a struggle and most creature/NPC's would put up a fight.

I play now to experience the game just wandering round rather than being driven to complete the next mission, which I personally find a more satisfying approach than how I used to play.

The useful thing with this mod is that as it just applies a spell effect you can add or remove it when you like, so if you don't like the very early levels you can leave it off until you reach the point where you do want slow things down.

Here's what I do, start a new game, set my level and skills to 100, add all perks except the decapitation and ash pile one and set my hp to 500, stamina and magika to 300 and play at master. And I don't enchant and improve armor and weapons, that breaks the game on any difficulty. It's pretty balanced.