Difference between \Oblivion\Data\Data\Meshes and \Oblivion\Data\Meshes directories?

I'm going a little crazy trying to install HGEC/BBB, particularly since the instructions aren't very specific.  The HGEC instructions in particular say "install to Data" but which Data folder to they mean?

Right now I have upper and lower body meshes installed to \Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\Data\Data\Meshes\characters\_male

Meanwhile I have Pretty Woman installed to \Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\Data\Meshes\Characters\_male

Everything actually's working, except the Pretty Woman animations don't show.  Which is fine with me, because I only installed it to get animations working in general, and I didn't care for the specific Pretty Woman animations.  So I'm a little confused, which folder should I be installing everything to in the first place?

I'm going a little crazy trying to install HGEC/BBB, particularly since the instructions aren't very specific.  The HGEC instructions in particular say "install to Data" but which Data folder to they mean?

Right now I have upper and lower body meshes installed to \Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\Data\Data\Meshes\characters\_male

Meanwhile I have Pretty Woman installed to \Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\Data\Meshes\Characters\_male

Everything actually's working, except the Pretty Woman animations don't show.  Which is fine with me, because I only installed it to get animations working in general, and I didn't care for the specific Pretty Woman animations.  So I'm a little confused, which folder should I be installing everything to in the first place?

well they should both be in oblivion\data\

You can tell if its right as which ever one you install in 2nd place should ask if you want to over-write the first, though it dose depend on which mod manager you are using if any.

Folder layout should be

oblivion\

oblivion\data\

oblivion\data\meshes\

oblivion\data\textures\

well where applicable anyway.

Install to data means drop any meshes, textures and what not directories into the data folder.

If you have in your Game Folder a data Folder in your data Folder then you have installed a Mod wrong.

Oblivion\Data\Data\Meshes\....   or  Oblivion\Data\Data\Textures\....  is wrong and the game don't use / can not use Thing in the second data Folder.

Also meshes Folder in a meshes Folder, or Sound- in Sound-Folder, Textures- in ..... WRONG.

Folders are like highlander "There can be only one"  :D

Well, some MOD authors were also notoriously bad when it came to setting up folders for their MODs. It pays to learn the above and then manually inspect a MODs content before blindly installing it.

Hell yeh, though I love the way mod organiser deals with it, and nexus mod manager dose not even seem to notice, I would imagine in nmm coding it just bores down the file-tree till it finds an esp or meshes\textures folder and uses that as the base.

Thank you!

Your welcome, and welcome to the somewhat insane world of skryim modding :D

OBLIVION !! do not use NMM !

Oblivion = OBMM ( and WryeBash)  ! no other program !!!

And always unpack a Mod before installation and check the Folders ! correct Folder if needed.  Delete things you don't want ( e.g. Skeletons in BBB armor, clothes, Animation Mods)

Put the esp/esm in your game Folder and start Tes4Edit and clean it if necessary.  Copy the clean esp back in the unpack Folder. Then create a OMod with OBMM , install with WryeBash or install manually.

Never unzip a Mod in your game Folder or let a program use a not check zip for Installation....it is best way to mess up your game !

OBLIVION !! do not use NMM !

Oblivion = OBMM ( and WryeBash)  ! no other program !!!

And always unpack a Mod before installation and check the Folders ! correct Folder if needed.  Delete things you don't want ( e.g. Skeletons in BBB armor, clothes, Animation Mods)

Put the esp/esm in your game Folder and start Tes4Edit and clean it if necessary.  Copy the clean esp back in the unpack Folder. Then create a OMod with OBMM , install with WryeBash or install manually.

Never unzip a Mod in your game Folder or let a program use a not check zip for Installation....it is best way to mess up your game !

I used nmm for oblivion for ages and not really had any problems, but there again I never really used many script heavy mods with it.

OMOD's I don't like and am much more likely to unpack and rebuild with the options I want to a plain 7z file, or at one point zip file.

Though to be honest 90% of my oblivion mods are armour/weapons adds, so don't really have much that can go wrong.

Never used wryebash for anything apart from bash patches, so not really got any views on it for installing mods or not.

I don't have WryeBash installed, only OBMM.

If you have 90% armor clothes why a Bashed Patch ? it is for hair and eye Mods so they do not overwrite each other ( Mods like Beautiful People)

And OMod or 7z does not matter, if you pack  it yourself (clean) it's fine.

BBB armor and clothes often have Skeletons inside , old or outdated,  not Growlf's Universal Skeleton. So better delete the Skeletons. ( And if you use Lovers/LAPF: overwrite the LAPF Skeleton causes ugly Body strtching during sex . The most common problem that people have  and post in the Lovers section   ;)  ) 

I was reading the Op's topic and then read the replies and noticed one thing that wasn't mentioned to them the part where they have their game installed to *Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion*. You should not have your oblivion game installed into your program folder it can cause problems with your game working correctly among other things. It should be moved outside of the programs folder something like C:games.

fejeena, do try TESMM instead of OBMM; it was based on OBMM (identical interface and functionality) but is significantly quicker to load and perform other functions.

The TESMM I use for Skyrim, I am just too lazy to change it for Oblivion.

Edit: I add the TESMM download Link to my yellow Link (Oblivion install instructions)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Strawbrary

Yes like myuhinny says do not install Oblivion in the program Folder.

Read my yellow Link below

Well, some MOD authors were also notoriously bad when it came to setting up folders for their MODs. It pays to learn the above and then manually inspect a MODs content before blindly installing it.

Damn right!

Another bit of advice: the wrong folder ordering could repeat in the future if it was caused by a poorly organized OMOD or BAIN file. Once the problem has been fixed manually, uninstalling could not work as expected (folders must be removed manually, which requires great care), and the problem will represent itself any time the defective mod is reinstalled.

- Fix that problematic installer! -

For omod files (OBMM) the procedure is:

- 'extract to folder'

- rearrange the folders, remove unnecessary/problematic files (readme files with chars not recognized by your system are a typical example)

- close OBMM (you can't delete files if OBMM is using them)

- delete the old omod

- start OBMM

- recreate the omod.

For Wrye Bash installers follow the same recomendations. They're usually easier to fix (uninstall, close WB, extract the content of the archive, correct, recompress, open WB, reinstall).

If you have in your Game Folder a data Folder in your data Folder then you have installed a Mod wrong.

Oblivion\Data\Data\Meshes\....   or  Oblivion\Data\Data\Textures\....  is wrong and the game don't use / can not use Thing in the second data Folder.

Also meshes Folder in a meshes Folder, or Sound- in Sound-Folder, Textures- in ..... WRONG.

Folders are like highlander "There can be only one"  :D

Cool I'll be able to delete that extraneous Data folder then.

I was reading the Op's topic and then read the replies and noticed one thing that wasn't mentioned to them the part where they have their game installed to *Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion*. You should not have your oblivion game installed into your program folder it can cause problems with your game working correctly among other things. It should be moved outside of the programs folder something like C:games.

Got it.

- Fix that problematic installer! -

For omod files (OBMM) the procedure is:

- 'extract to folder'

- rearrange the folders, remove unnecessary/problematic files (readme files with chars not recognized by your system are a typical example)

- close OBMM (you can't delete files if OBMM is using them)

- delete the old omod

- start OBMM

- recreate the omod.

Thanks -- I'll try to clean that up along with the extra Data folder.

Archived