Modding Help: Custom NPC

Kircheis-

So, I've been screwing around with interesting npc's, trying to edit npc appearances and I've encountered a problem:

I'm not too good at this, but I can change the appearance of the npc just fine. Went into CK, used an existing npc's appearance for another, changed things to fit around, everything mostly works. No grey face, lookswise, everything is perfect.

The problem is, I'm hitting a problem with the hearthfires patch for inpc. Apparently, without an updated seq file:

Q. My INPC follower keeps repeating lines/gives me their first time greeting like we never met before. 

A. Likely because you didn’t install the SEQ file. Or you didn’t install the correct SEQ file (there’s a separate one for Hearthfire).

The SEQ file is crucial because it’s the only way to solve an old bug introduced by patch 1.6. If you want to read more about it, it’s here.

the INPC hearthfires patch provides a seq file, and an .esp to overwrite the original files. I figure, if I edit the .esp provided by the inpc heathfires patch, it should be alright, but somehow, by editing that file, something screws up and it's as if the patch wasn't installed at all.

I have no idea what to do.

Archived