Play as a little person?

LordFlan

Hello all, i've never used a forum before so im not sure if this is the proper way to get my question out there but here it goes. I've recently been screwing around with the setscale command and set my player scale very small and getting some alice's adventures in wondersland style screen shots, the player however moves annoying slow when set very small, is there any way to make a more fun or conveniant play through of skyrim with a foot tall dragon born?

A character with a scale that small will move very slowly, as you've already discerned.

There are a few mods that might help, or you might have to make your own.

Try the Apocalypse Spells mod - it has a spell called "longstride" that makes you move faster.

Or the aurora standing stone mod by the same author, the steed stone does the same thing.

If you're just looking for a shorter character, I'm pretty sure there is a dwemer playable race mod with a short character... or child playable race mod.

But if you're really looking to play the game as a foot tall, I think you're mostly out of luck, because the engine scales all movement speed according to height. If all you're interested in is screenshots, I'd say just keep resetting your scale every time you need to move somewhere.

There must be a speed modifier that can be changed with MODAV or SETAV or something, the SLBreeder mod makes you a werewolf hybrid and you run at Doom Commando speeds.  It's not called "Speed", btw, changed my scale in Racemenu to 0.85 the other day and was experimenting for this very reason.

Animations for using things like chairs, enchanting tables etc are really immersion-breaking when you do this scale thing though.

There must be a speed modifier that can be changed with MODAV or SETAV or something, the SLBreeder mod makes you a werewolf hybrid and you run at Doom Commando speeds.  It's not called "Speed", btw, changed my scale in Racemenu to 0.85 the other day and was experimenting for this very reason.

Animations for using things like chairs, enchanting tables etc are really immersion-breaking when you do this scale thing though.

It's pretty funny when a huge NPC scaled to 1.2 sits down on a chair and drastically shrinks to fit, only to stand up again a few minutes later and expand back to previous size. 

I just found this:

player.setav speedmult # (where # is the value you want to set it to). The default walking speed is 100.

I don't know if it needs to be reset each time you exit and re-enter, though. Still, it's something...

It's pretty funny when a huge NPC scaled to 1.2 sits down on a chair and drastically shrinks to fit, only to stand up again a few minutes later and expand back to previous size. 

I just found this:

player.setav speedmult # (where # is the value you want to set it to). The default walking speed is 100.

I don't know if it needs to be reset each time you exit and re-enter, though. Still, it's something...

There's some difference between SETAV and MODAV, one is temporary, one isn't and it might not be the way around that seems logical.  So five minutes on google should sort that out.

Try and play for any length of time with scale >1.5 or <0.7, it's very funny.  Scale 10 particularly.

MODAV is permanent, SETAV works until save load. I recommend using player.setav speedmult [insert integer here, 100 is normal]

that should satisfy your desire for smallness, when combined with the setscale command. And I know the challenges of the reduced movement speed from the reduced height first hand, as there are a few puzzles that require you to move between timed gates, and you can't when your character is tiny O.o

Ah, thank you.  That's what I meant about logical (to me):

Mod - modify seems like it should be temporary

Set seems like it should be permanent

Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you, trust me.

I think the logic behind it is that mod modifies the actor value's base, and set just modifies some temp value or something.

I dunno... the one that usually bothers me is how targeted console commands work.

For example:

player.additem looks like the player object has an additem subroutine, but if you target someone in the console and additem that means their object has an additem function. So it must be inherited from some parent class somewhere instead that may well track all objects, player/NPC or otherwise. I guess that makes sense, but I'd have done it additem.ref instead, but hey I don't know how the engine works or what was going through the designer's minds when they did it. It probably works better this way, it's just a little more confusing for me, the end user.

It's just that the whole everything-is-inherited-from-a-base-class thing always bothers me. There are some advantages to doing it that way, sure, but it always seems to be overused.

It's like when someone wants to sort ten numbers... I'd just pull in a bubble sort, because when you're working with small data sets, bubble sort is easier to program and implement. But then you've got the religious zealots who think that bubble sorting is the devil and insist on some other algorithm. Yes, another algorithm will almost certainly be more efficient, but honestly, we're dealing with TEN NUMBERS here. The difference between one nanosecond and two nanoseconds is hardly relevant when the end user is dealing with, at MINIMUM, milliseconds.

Hmm... that sure deviated from the topic at hand. Sorry about that, it's just that people's programming dogma often irritates me, and I tend to ramble on.

If you reduce the race scaling in CK or TES5edit then the game will adjust the characters speed accordingly.  However, if you reduce the scaling of the male or female skeleton (depending your character's gender) while keeping the character's race set at 1.0000 then you will have a Lilliputian that retains the speed of an normal size adult.  The drawback is the 1st-person camera will not adjust to the scaling set by the skeleton.

Speaking of wonky 1st-person camera, if you set the race scale very low (< 0.97), the 1st-person camera will at first adjust to the new height, but certain actions, such as using the forge or alchemy table, will return the camera to adult height.  This is more evident if the scaling is set to < 0.87.

I made a dwarf character once. Picked nord as a race, big beard and all that and set him to a 1/2 scale of a regular nord. I set his stamina high with console commands and "ran" instead of default jog and his speed was not so bad. What sucks about making a "small" character is that weapons are not large. They scale down so that war hammer for example could almost appear to be a one handed hammer. Kill cams are also an issue and I ended up turning those off with Dance of Death. Looked way to dumb for me to take seriously.

And of course using crafting stations looked a bit strange.

Overall it was a pretty fun build.

Archived