Do or don't

Hentai-chan

Of late I have been thinking of ways how I can improve my framerate while playing FNV and I was struck with this idea: Could I increase how many cores Fallout New Vegas uses on launch? See, loading saves takes so long and maximum frames I can get is 15. 20 if I am lucky, which is caused entire by the incompetent graphics card I have. I'd like to increase the performance of FNV without having to sacrifice my current graphics settings. I have to know if increasing core use will help me out in some way. In a way, I can play games comfortably with 30 frames (not a perfectionist) and not wreck my rig.

GeForce 310m
Intel® Core i5 CPU 2.27GHz
8GB RAM
Win7 64-bit OS

So can I squeeze more performance out of this rig? Or am I trying in vain?

This is an old game in the meaning of memory and cpu-usage. The only thing accelerating is installing the game on a fast SSD. The game itself is an issue, you won't get it faster with the best cpu on Earth. And of course, the mods you are using play a role, too. Every savegame saves all details. Using 100 mods and more - like I do - causes the game to almost collapse. Just take a break, drink a cup of coffee, and... use Wrye Bash to avoid conflicts.

There is no try.

Er... I mean...

You can change the cores being used in the .ini, the setting is iNumHWThreads under General, I believe. You may have to add it. Be warned, though, that in my experience more cores equals more instability because Bethesda.

Yes but this instability, is there any chance it may make my computer unstable? Kind of a long-shot I guess. I mean one ini change resulting in the eventual crash of a computer. But I am not very experienced when it comes to hardware and software so my reasoning is: Better safe than sorry.

I am not that much worried about instability for the game, though. I mean it's already buggy. Several playthroughs of Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, have proven that several times over. That doesn't mean I want to make unplayable but still... That said how many crashes do you get if you changed the ini? And is there a noticable change in fps?

You can increase iNumHWThreads if you want, I have it set to 4. There are a bunch of other threading options you can change as well.

Changing them may or may not give you stability benefits and/or defecits.

The thing is, even if you told FNV to use 100 cores, it would still use just 1 for ~95% of all the processing because of the way the game is implemented. This is typical of all video games.

Always use new save slots.

My main concern is the Big MT, really. For some reason, whenever I find myself there, I see a sudden drop in FPS outdoors. Doesn't seem to affect interiors much. Not as much as outdoors, anyway, most of the time. I don't know, performance-wise Old World Blues seem to be a lot more problematic than Anchorage, Point Lookout, DC Wasteland, Zion or even the Mojave. Think I'm just unlucky?

you can run the game but you can't use mods with super enb some enb cause frame drops and that is not going to help you. your pc is not the only problem the game have his own problem like the first one is old the second the game only run 2gb maximum and cause lag because of that. you can download 4gb mod for your help but they will continue lagging and continue and continue. the real problem here is the old games almost all run only with 2gb maximum that is the problem, now that is not the problem now the problem is your pc. you have to buy a beast to play games. even with a beast the game (oblivion,skyrim,F3,FNV etc...) will not run like the new games

you can run the game but you can't use mods with super enb some enb cause frame drops and that is not going to help you. your pc is not the only problem the game have his own problem like the first one is old the second the game only run 2gb maximum and cause lag because of that. you can download 4gb mod for your help but they will continue lagging and continue and continue. the real problem here is the old games almost all run only with 2gb maximum that is the problem, now that is not the problem now the problem is your pc. you have to buy a beast to play games. even with a beast the game (oblivion,skyrim,F3,FNV etc...) will not run like the new games

My computer is a beast. It is just the graphics card that's holding it back. The only reason I can run any game is software update, Which, luckily for me, seems go a long way.

Archived