Working on a story but need some help with a name for some pirates.

xenic

Pirate name poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better name?

• The Defiant Corsairs
    • Darkwater Raiders
    • Night Raiders
    • The Sea Dogs
    • Gilded Corsairs
    • Black Tooth Dogs
    • Bloodsail Plunderers
    • I need better choices

Okay, I'm working on a story that revolves around pirates. The idea is they came from around Cyrodil and have been raiding the coast and merchant vessels for years. They have come up toward Skyrim due to them being hunted. 

I was going to use Crimson Raiders until a friend reminded me that was from Borderlands 2. 

Then I thought about these two:

Darkwater Raiders

Night Raiders

Note: This is mainly just the name that people refer to them by. 

Any ideas for a better name?

I like Darkwater raiders because it reminds me of an old cartoon from my childhood (Pirates of Darkwater?)

There's a wealth of name generators out there you could use, Seventh Sanctum is sort of a hub for them you can browse for what you're looking for. Of course you got to weed out the rather silly sounding ones but it helps to get the gears moving so to speak. Just a few I was able to get from using one:

Gilded Corsairs

Black Tooth Dogs

Bloodsail Plunderers

Just "pirates" is already good enough. Or "%captainsname% crew". Or "sea rats from Cyrodil" :P

They are just another bunch of criminals, why people should give them generic badass name?

Also, there is a difference between pirates and corsairs. These words are not exactly synonymic.

P.S. Sorry, my English is bad.

Just "pirates" is already good enough. Or "%captainsname% crew". Or "sea rats from Cyrodil" :P

They are just another bunch of criminals, why people should give them generic badass name?

P.S. Sorry, my English is bad.

I imagine the reason would be the same you give anything a name, to have a record, to know whom is whom and which is which. The badassery of it comes *after* the fact, when the criminals start getting more and more well known, and speaking the name of their gang out loud is enough to invoke fear.

I imagine the reason would be the same you give anything a name, to have a record, to know whom is whom and which is which.

And again: leader's name is good enough.

When somalian pirates rob people, they are just "somalian pirates", not some "Rusty Boat Raiders" :lol:

How about something like 'Black Tooth Trading Company'? So they sound like they could be a legitimate organization, but with some element in their name that could take a more sinister interpretation. They board merchant vessels and exchange their cargo for the continued lives of their occupants.

If you want a name other people refer to them as, try "assholes".

I voted for Black Tooth Dogs, since to me, they have black teeth and are sea dogs.

But actually I am not that much of a fan of "composed" (for lack of a better term) names.

Personally, I would prefer names like "Blacksails" or "Bloodsails" or something like that.

I mean, people would make it shorter anyways, they would not shout "Oh, no! The Bloodsail Plunderers are attacking!" They would probably shorten it, so that the warning would

be quicker to shout: "Alert! The Bloodsails! Man your posts!"

Don't get me wrong, they might call themselves the "Maritime Marauders", but *people* will just call them "Marauders", no matter what cool a name the pirates decided to use themselves. You should look at it from the victim's perspective. While they might talk about "Rudger Redbeard" as leader of the band, they probably would not talk about the pirates as "Rudger Redbeard's Renegades" (say that quickly three times :P)  but probably something like "Redbeards" (even if only Rudger has a red beard) or "Renegades".

So, even if I voted for "Black Tooth Dogs", I would probably go for "Blacktooth". (Remember the victim's side: "Alert, the Black Tooth Dogs are attacking!" or "Alert! Blacktooths at the harbour!" :)

That's a good point, whatever name they become infamous by is going to be short and unsweet and that's what they'll holler to alert each other. It matters less what they call themselves than what the survivors have to say about them.

It'll probably be about the leader of them. People don't care what Blackbeard called his crew or each other, all they know is that Blackbeard is attacking them.

How about...

Slaughterfish Bait (is what they'd reduce you to)

Dead Eyes (eye patches maybe?)

Rottin Barrels (sounds cool and moldy)

Scorched Mist (sounds mysterious)

Sea Callers (kinda reminds me of Jurgen Windcaller)

Whistling Daggers (sound of their daggers slicing through the air? Corny I know, but pretty cool name though... Right?)

Archived