Why Are Tons Of People Afraid Of Anime-Related Mods?

Honestly I believe the whole "lore-friendly" shtick is just a scapegoat excuse for a lot of these people to justify their anime hate. Sure, anime visuals don't "fit" in a game where everything else is realistic and western. Neither do My Little Pony horses, Macho Dragons, dildo swords, sexy armor, balloon boobs, supermodel faces, etc, and those don't get anywhere near the same amount of flak - they usually get met with "LOL that's hilarious, best mod ever!". Plus there's the fact that if you don't like a mod, you don't have to use it. But the thought of someone else modding the game to be how they like it, the very essence of modding, gets them all up in a tizzy.

I am a realist, so if what person A said is right, then I will agree, likewise, if person B is right, then I also will agree. Being one does not hinder you to see matters from both perspectives, right?

In this matter, 'lore-friendly' is actually quite logical, and I do agree with them. But what I can't stand are hypocrites.

1. If lore-friendly means fitting the culture, races and world of Skyrim, then what it is to be surprised with when say, an Elin race get added? It is just...another race to play with. Remember Barbas?

"Skyrim is now host to giant, flying lizards and two-legged cat-men...and you're surprised by me? Yes. I just talked. And am continuing to do so." - Barbas

2. If lore-friendly means being logical, then what is up with all the cleavage cutout armors and string bikinis in a freezing environment of Skyrim made by them? The more revealing an armor is, the more protective it gets? What is this, the Inverse Law of Sexual Appeal?

I don't mind anime character brought to Skyrim as long as the texture does not lot too plastic (read: smooth, clean, plaster-like) to fit the mid-age world. They will fit just like any other Skyrim's existing NPCs.

It justs confuses me.

I say this because I suggested a Total Anime Overhaul on the Nexus and people freaked out' date=' as well as on this post about a neko custom race.

If yo know of any race mods in the making could you post a link so I can keep up with em.(Be it Western, Middle-Eastern, orr from the land of the rising sun)

Sorry for my drolling on. :s

P.S. If anyone is working on a race mod(be it lore-friendly or not) I hope you can get it fully up since I feel people can get more custom races in Skyrim than people did in Oblivion.

[/quote']

they are afraid, because they don't know how to move along and when not to download. you see, they automatically download and install mods and play them without knowing what mod was.

well, that's what i can imagine of them LOL.

Wow. Its nice to see more points of view on this. I agree with the hypocrite thing as well as the "If you dont like just pass over" statements. Now that I think about it, it seems that human nature of criticism and ridicule plays on the field over different mods. Never xpected this to go long.

Hell yeah, we download and install TES mods since ten years... automatically... ^^

Thought you'd get my point - it's not the presence of these mods, it's apparently the omnipresence of images from these mods that might give the impression as if one were accidentally in the wrong game community.

BTW One is not afraid of what one doesn't like ... esp. when one is at home.

Anyway, any attempt to takeover, friendly or not, lore-unfriendly or -hostile, always leads to counter reactions. That's all-too-human.

Its pretty funny when people use extremes to justify an entire genre the whole 'Sailor moon in spandex" bit, there are plenty of anime and manga that are as dark and bloody if not more so than skyrim, Fist of the North Star and Berserk to name a few. Its like calling all people who play video games the weird kids who sit alone in the lunch room at high school who all smell and dont bathe. It is entirely incorrect.

Now, about not polluting Skyrim with anime and not polluting anime with...what.... realism? People through fire balls, you have giant flying lizards and raise the dead... yeah thats real. Its fantasy, meaning fiction, harping on lore is really just seeming like a cop-out. Who says you cant make your own lore, its your game, and you can mod it how you want. Until I could mod skyrim I didnt even make it out of Helgen after the first dragon attack before I got bored. With in regards to the skimpy armor not protecting anything? Well even in armor you take an arrow through the leg or into the torso...in real life your dead or spending weeks or months recovering, add that into the game and harp about realism. The games system of damage and healing is abstract. Also whats wrong with some what clean armor? Knights had to maintain their armor or had someone else do it for them, which often took 4-8 hours a day, after all the metal would rust very easy or would have to be reworked alot.... having armor look beaten, dirty and rusty would mean its ability to protect is degrading (obviously I dont mean just alittle dirt...) But I am in the army and rely on my body armor alot, I have to clean and maintain it or else it wont work when I need it.

So back again to modding Skyrim with anime, I say why not... if they made a good game with this engine and this immersion that was anime based like another Phantasy Star and such... I would probably never play skyrim. But since they dont have that I guess I will just mod skyrim.

To summerize it all, just respect other peoples right to mod and enjoy their mods without being crucified for modifying their game. If you see a mod you dont like, dont get it, if you see say images in the nexus image section you dont like, dont click on them.

Well I certainly don't like all anime and manga but just as with any other genre there's a great difference in quality and art style between different anime.

I can also understand why some players might want to keep the art style of Skyrim as pure possible, but those are not the people who'd be interested in installing your mod in the first place so you shouldn't worry about them.

Overall though, I generally like anime and manga, those Asians sure know how to draw cute guys (and gals, I suppose) in gorgeous clothing.

As a modder you should first and foremost endeavour to create what you like and worry about popular reception a distant second, if at all.

lol yea...one thing that really strikes me as funny about nexus...they flip over lore breaking with something like a Neko mod' date=' or the Elin for that matter, but are totally okay with a flippin' crazy ass demon prince who spawns cheese everywhere, think i saw someone here with an avatar with sheogorath saying "dig a pit - fill it with clowns" perfectly normal behavior of that character. yet heaven forbid some crazy race to mix with Argonians or khajiit for that matter lol. just hits my funny bone thinkin bout it :D

[/quote']

Hi :D

This is kind of off topic, but for Sheogorath's sake I'd like to inform you that the "demon prince that spawns cheese everywhere" is a valid and accepted part of elder scrolls lore. He is the daedric prince of madness, and so, he does insane things. While what does is crazy, it isn't lore breaking by any means.

But back on topic, I have a certain distaste for anime, it's pretty cliche or unoriginal at times, I dislike the style/representation and other things as well. However, I won't condone the making of an anime mod, people make what they wish to make and that's fine. I hate it one million times more when someone makes a complete dick out of themselves bashing something others like that that person doesn't. It's sad. Personally I find skyrim to be a too dark of a game to use animeish mods. Oblivion on the other hand would be better.

I'm just glad that Nexus has made a habit of banning anyone that makes a fool of themselves whining about anime mods in the comment threads. It's been said plenty of times; if you don't like it, don't download it. End of discussion. Seriously, there's nothing else to say. You can't stop people from making mods they like, and crying about it just makes you look like an entitled brat. I use Berserk, Soul Calibur, TypeMOON, and a bunch of other anime-style mods in Skyrim, and I get pretty damn offended when some asshat has the nerve to say that mods like that "shouldn't be made". If you want your game to stay lore-friendly, don't download the mods. Nobody put a gun to your head and told you to download everything.

I'm just glad that Nexus has made a habit of banning anyone that makes a fool of themselves whining about anime mods in the comment threads. It's been said plenty of times; if you don't like it' date=' don't download it. End of discussion. Seriously, there's nothing else to say. You can't stop people from making mods they like, and crying about it just makes you look like an entitled brat. I use Berserk, Soul Calibur, TypeMOON, and a bunch of other anime-style mods in Skyrim, and I get pretty damn offended when some asshat has the nerve to say that mods like that "shouldn't be made". If you want your game to stay lore-friendly, don't download the mods. Nobody put a gun to your head and told you to download everything.

[/quote']

This is actually the thing that these lore freaks cant understand and never will.

They hate it when an anime/sexy mod gets released and it dominates the modding community.

And this is why I prefer to laugh it up when they start whining. Long as you don't directly insult them' date=' you're not really breaking any rules. :P

[/quote']

You feel the need for indirect insults, right?

Well, then take care of your head cos troll rules are flexible.

I think that a good portion of those people who cry about anime mods do it just to impress others, it is the same as the ones who cry about adult mods, and cry about rips and so on.

They will spit a bunch of nonsense out of there mouths but if you look at there load order you will find a bunch of renamed esp files that they will claim as being "personal mods" but are in reality nothing more then adult mods, anime mods, game rips and what not

Personally, I'll never use an anime mod, or an even tangentally anime-esque mod. The primary reason? This is fucking creepy.

But that being said, I don't want to hate people for putting anime mods into a game like skyrim. I mean, do I think it's stupid to have some cell shaded chick in a loli skirt with eyes bigger than her hands fighting a dragon to the death? Yeah, in my opinion that's pretty stupid. Do I hate everything that has to do with the style? Not at all. I like anime, well, that's not entirely true. I like things that are well made. If there was an anime mod that existed solely to be 'anime' I'd not come within 100 digital feet of it, but if there was some mod that added in a buster-sword with nicks scratches and rust in all the right places, I might consider it.

But I'm picky, I'm really picky. I can't stand a good 50% of clothing mods that have nothing to do with anime, mostly because they don't look like they fit in Skyrim, and I think that's probably what the people over at Nexus are upset about. There's huge amount of labor going into changing Skyrim.

I like vanilla Skyrim. I don't think anyone on Nexus or here doesn't like vanilla Skyrim. So when people come up and say "Hey let's completely renovate Skyrim because anime is cool!" it's bound to upset a few people, because Skyrim doesn't need to be renovated, it was fine the way it was, and adding anime isn't going to make it any better, because it wasn't built for that.

If you want an Anime RPG play Final Fantasy, there's like twenty of them.

Surenas, are you a moderator there or something? o_O You seem awfully hostile. Or are you just someone that hates passive-aggressives?

WitchGirl, it's not your place to decide whether or not Skyrim needs renovation. It's up to a modder to decide that, and believe it or not, it's NOT your job OR your /right/ to tell them to "play Final Fantasy". There are also not twenty Final Fantasy games. There are currently fifteen, if you count the sequel games for X and XIII. If you count Tactics and the other handhelds, it goes /way/ above twenty.

I think it's denial, there's this general 'oh man gotta act like i hate anime' attitude that pretty much everyone has, which pretty much always turns out to be untrue, 'i hate anime except ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo etc...' means you don't hate anime, deal with it.

The fact is the hate is directed towards anime more than other lore-breaking mods, star wars or other anachronistic references pass by without people caring.

Also witchgirl i think you have the wrong idea, anime-style mods have nothing to do with kigs and look nothing like them, the closest to that is those tera mask things, people on the nexus will cry ANIME ANIME on pretty much any hair mod or any character that doesn't have the jaw of a gears of war soldier.

And i'm just gonna say, if i want a dark immersive atmosphere and a good game, i'll play dark souls, skyrim is just a mod sandbox and deserves no respect, it is a whore and should be treated as such.

Surenas' date=' are you a moderator there or something? o_O You seem awfully hostile. Or are you just someone that hates passive-aggressives?

WitchGirl, it's not your place to decide whether or not Skyrim needs renovation. It's up to a modder to decide that, and believe it or not, it's NOT your job OR your /right/ to tell them to "play Final Fantasy". There are also not twenty Final Fantasy games. There are currently fifteen, if you count the sequel games for X and XIII. If you count Tactics and the other handhelds, it goes /way/ above twenty.

[/quote']

And it's not their right to get upset when people voice opinions contrary to their own.

If you wanna talk about rights on the internet...

PS: And for the record, I think the Skyrim-Starwars renovates are just as stupid as the Skyrim-Anime renovates. Like there's a difference between 'the Force' and 'magic' in the first place.

And the hair mods are not only nonsensical, but don't work right. Skyrim isn't built for long hair. In the vanilla version I decapitated someone and their hair went rolling off with their head. When the character turns their head, those 'bangs' that run down in front of the ears will clip into their bodies. When a character has more hair than they have flesh, they're not a warrior, they're not even a person. They're Cousin It. Having long hair is a pain in the ass, and being active while having long hair... Well let's just say I'd like to see what would happen if Sephiroth stood in front of a dragon's fire breath.

Personally' date=' I'll never use an anime mod, or an even tangentally anime-esque mod. The primary reason? This is fucking creepy.

Okay, I personally think I would ride mass transit more often if my commute was like that. LOL

I like vanilla Skyrim. I don't think anyone on Nexus or here doesn't like vanilla Skyrim.

Personally, outside of graphics I felt that vanilla Skyrim was a bit of a let down. I had actually played through the game in about 8hrs on my first char mostly because I started a quest line and before I really knew what was happening I'm fighting Alduin and it wasn't even an epic feeling with the fight. I didn't expect an out of the box hit like a fully modded Oblivion but I expected more. Actually, even wth the CK out I'm thinking of going and buying a new copy of Oblivion and going back to that until we as a modding community have a better understanding of what our limitations are with the CK.

I truly mean no offense and I'm not trying to point you in a different direction but personally any point given that states "realism" as a reason for disliking certain "unrealistic" mods and in the next sentence talks about dragons... well you see my point. Again, I'm certainly not looking to sway anyone's opinion on this matter... your all going to like what suits your personal tastes, I'm merely following this thread to see what reasoning people have for openly bashing mods that are well crafted and in many ways artistic visions from the authors ideal fantasy world. As I said before, the only problem I have with anyone is when they bash on a mod, realistic or anime-ish or whatever, when the author clearly put lots of time and effort in it. Its fine to not respect his or her views but at least respect his or her efforts and talents.

"Why Are Tons Of People Afraid Of Anime-Related Mods?" thats a pretty stupid question, ppl dont use shit they dont like, some like Animes some dont, I myself dont, always found them silly/ugly and totaly misplaced in Skyrim, so I dont use it, end of that.

What anyone who hates or loves anime mods, or even those who are indifferent need to remember is that Skyrim is just a game set in a 'fantasy' universe which in all cases anything could happen. If you want true 'realism' then just go outside and there it is. Heck if anime haters should hate anyone it should be Bethesda for making a creation kit that allows you to mod their game in anyway you see fit. So all in all if you enjoy Skyrim with anime mods then more power to you and same goes for anyone who prefers more 'realistic' mods it all boils down to preference and sadly some people will never be satisfied with everything modders make and we should all rememeber is that we're all human and shouldnt hate one another, but inbrace their differences and make the Skyrim modding community stronger with unity instead of causing divisions in it based on who likes what, all the while spewing hate on others you dont approve of what they like

I will admit that anime mods kind of piss me off. Most of you have already stated that it boils down to personal taste, and that is basically what I think as well. I don't get why people are so attracted to the idea naked cartoon characters running around. I don't flame the authors, however. I choose to hate them from afar.

This whole thing seems to only go one way as well. You never see gritty, realistic looking characters being injected into teeny bopper Japanese stuff. If it became a huge thing, then the anime fans probably wouldn't like it either.

Bethesda puts a hell of alot of time making these games, and I prefer to stick with lore and realism. Anime mods seem a bit too childish and juvenile for my tastes. The time spent making these mods could be better spent on better mods, in my opinion. Most of them inspire the same feeling of mild revulsion I felt when I saw that mod that replaces dragons with 'My Little Ponies' -_- *facepalm* It just doesn't belong. Maybe I should make a mod that replaces all people in Skyrim with naked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles who can spontaneously sprout wings, slice dragons in half with one well plaed Judo chop, and then jump over the Throat of the World in a single bound. It's the same idea to me.

To each his own, however. I don't like them though. I am just glad that modding is still free (for the time being).

I will have to stay I'm am a "Anime-Hater" from afar when it comes to skyrim. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind anime looking stuff when its in a anime looking game like final fantasy or like kingdom hearts. It all ties together well.

Anime-like faces just doesn't fit along with the art style of this game. A semi-realistic face I would consider. But has to feel like it would fit.

If the gear or stuff looks like it belongs in skyrim, art style wise, I don't think they are bad. The rest of anime gear in skyrim are usually comprised of plain color with no/little texture or details. Sometimes details are there but most times its seems like its lacking normal maps. Also they usually either very generic anime looking stuff or copied from an actual anime(I guess that's point?). But to me it doesn't show much originality in the concept work. Though a stereotypical anime outfit pulled of well is just fine. If i saw an Anime armor that was textured and normal mapped and had similar color scheme to Skyrim. I think I wouldn't cringe. I mean have don't any beef with them. They have there right to do what they want just as much as I do.

That's just my personal opinion. Not trying to offend anybody.