I made a pizza :D

Guest marieruth

Guest marieruth

In Blender :D

I'm not really a good texture painter, but The textures seem to not go well

together with what images I mapped the mesh with. I guess I could try messing

with the texture stuff built into Blender already though.

sN7vo7g.png

Just a suggestion.  Have you tried adjusting the texture in GIMP to give it more of a stylized feel?  I know from personal expierence that using a texture based on RL usually renders better if you cartoon it up a bit, make it look less real.  I know that probably doesn't make any sense.

Guest marieruth

Just a suggestion.  Have you tried adjusting the texture in GIMP to give it more of a stylized feel?  I know from personal expierence that using a texture based on RL usually renders better if you cartoon it up a bit, make it look less real.  I know that probably doesn't make any sense.

Well, I don't necessarily know how to "stylize" it, or what you mean by it, but a solid color on the crust part of the mesh actually looked decent (rather "cartoony" as well) when I was testing it out.

I'm not really good at painting hi-detailed textures, but I can do simple things pretty okay.

I was testing to see if a bread texture image could work well alongside the texture of the actual pizza toppings, it turned out kinda weird.

I was thinking of making like a few meshes that were toppings instead of relying on a image to do all of it since it looks weird.

I eventually plan on using the mesh in Fallout 3/New Vegas, so I'm not really sure how to go about the textures, since it may end up looking fake either way... 

FO3/NV is my stock and trade as far as meshes and textures go.  If you look at the vanilla FO food textures they are very basic.  There is no need to go overboard with what you make.  The base artistic functions in GIMP can give you a leg up on stylizing any RL photo into a viable texture for games like Oblivion or FO3/NV.  On the GIMP toolbar look under Filters and check out the options under Enhance, Artistic and Decor.  There's all sorts of stuff you can do if you use those as layers from your main draw surface and apply different alpha vaules to them.

Example: The cheese on the pizza.  Color pick one section of the cheese.  Select By Color and then just play with the different patterns available from the Filter dropdown.  You'll be surprised what you can get out of simple base functions like cloth patterns.  Tinker with it some (bump maps, blur, etc.) and then paste it back onto the orginal image.

If you choose to add meshes to the individual ingredients (pepperoni, mushrooms, etc.) you can use vanilla meshes already available in the game.  The vanilla vault22 mushrooms could be resized and then collapsed on the X or Y axis in Blender to make them flatter.  The legion coin meshes are just begging to be redone as pepperoni or olive slices.  The steel girders and beams in the vanilla building wreckage could be used as a base mesh for onions and bell pepper slices.  The UV maps are already done on all of those meshes so it's just a matter of reshaping and retexturing.

These are just some ideas.  I hope they help.  :)

MAN I miss modding!  I get my new video card the 19th (next Tuesday). \o/

FO3/NV is my stock and trade as far as meshes and textures go.  If you look at the vanilla FO food textures they are very basic.  There is no need to go overboard with what you make.  The base artistic functions in GIMP can give you a leg up on stylizing any RL photo into a viable texture for games like Oblivion or FO3/NV.  On the GIMP toolbar look under Filters and check out the options under Enhance, Artistic and Decor.  There's all sorts of stuff you can do if you use those as layers from your main draw surface and apply different alpha vaules to them.

Example: The cheese on the pizza.  Color pick one section of the cheese.  Select By Color and then just play with the different patterns available from the Filter dropdown.  You'll be surprised what you can get out of simple base functions like cloth patterns.  Tinker with it some (bump maps, blur, etc.) and then paste it back onto the orginal image.

If you choose to add meshes to the individual ingredients (pepperoni, mushrooms, etc.) you can use vanilla meshes already available in the game.  The vanilla vault22 mushrooms could be resized and then collapsed on the X or Y axis in Blender to make them flatter.  The legion coin meshes are just begging to be redone as pepperoni or olive slices.  The steel girders and beams in the vanilla building wreckage could be used as a base mesh for onions and bell pepper slices.  The UV maps are already done on all of those meshes so it's just a matter of reshaping and retexturing.

Join the dark side

Mod for me and your journey will be complete

:)

But seriously

I mighta bought you a damn video card for help roflmao, depending on the skillsets :)

Guest marieruth

Thanks, your post was incredibly informative for me and I have a lot of different methods to try, but is there a specific process I must go through in order to make a Fallout NIF mesh work for blender? Or could I just import it into blender with no problems?

Not a problem.  I like helping people (despite my reputation :D ).   There is a FO3 button when importing a mesh.  Unfortunately I don't have a screen shot for you, my gaming rig is DEAD until Tuesday.  Maybe someone else can assist you.  You could try browsing for a youtube tutorial also.  Or you just just try the default and see what happens.  Import it and then export it without making any changes.  But be sure not to overwrite your original with the export!

EDIT:  Never mind. :P Here you go.  You might be using a newer version of Blender than I am.  The Import/Export values do not change, even if the windows look different.  These values will change depending on what you are Importing/Exporting.  What you see below is used for bodies/armor/clothing.  They will be different for weapons, static items, clutter, etc.  Don't worry about that right now.  What is shown will work for your pizza, unless I state otherwise. :P

Import Settings

post-66546-0-25256800-1408059075_thumb.jpg

Export Settings

post-66546-0-24266100-1408059111_thumb.jpg

How to Add Collision to Your Pizza:
Blender has a script that creates automatically collision objects for a selected mesh:

Select the pizza in Edit Mode and select the menu option Mesh -> Scripts -> Hull as shown in the Adding a collision object picture.
Select the option you prefer. If your pizza has a complex shape, select Convex. (you could also try BOX, but you may have to adjust the xyz axis in Nifskope to align the pizza inside the collision).
Press the OK button and accept the default precission (0.100).
Wait while the script works and when it has finished you'll see a pink object that surounds the object: that is your collision object.  Once the collision object is been created, select it and in Object Mode:

Press the Object button (or the F7 key) and check that the value of Drawtype is equal to Bounds and that the value of Draw Extra is equal to Wire.
Press the Logic button (or the F4 key) and in the area shown in picture Setting the collision logic:
Set the type of collision to Dynamic, set a value for the mass and check that the radius (the dotted sphere in the picture)is right: neither too big nor too small.
Check that the button Bounds is press and that the polygon type is Convex Hull
Press the Add property button and fill the three boxes that appear below it as follows:
Select String in the first box
In the second box, that already contains Name:prop type HavokMaterial. Once you've done this in this second box you'll see Name:HavokMaterial
In the third box type HAV_MAT_METAL (if you want your object to sound as metal. If you want it to sound as stone type HAV_MAT_STONE, if you want it to sound as wood type HAV_MAT_WOOD, etc.)

Export the Object

Before exporting the Pizza, in Object Mode select all the objects (the pizza and the collision object) and press the keys Ctrl+A. Select the option Scale and Rotation to ObData from the pop up menu.

To export the pizza do the following:

In Object Mode select all the objects (the pizza and the collision object).
Select the option of exporting to a nif/kf file and enter the name of your pizza file (pizza.nif for example).
In the screen that appears and that is shown in picture Exporting as a nif file:
Press the Fallout 3 button.
Press the clutter button and select Metal (if your pizza is made of metal. If not, select the best material for your pizza), and set its weight (Mass).
Deselect the options Flatten Skin and Export Skin Partition
Press the OK button. This will save your pizza nif file.

Here's the screenshots and the instructions zipped so you can download them for easy reference:

Marieruth.rar

Guest marieruth

Thanks for the instructions, I found looking at the Nexus Wiki as well as the NifTools wiki saying that I would have to downgrade to Blender 2.49 even though i currently use 2.71 in order to be able to import/export NIFs. I would personally prefer to not have to do that, so I'll use your instructions first.

Thanks for the instructions, I found looking at the Nexus Wiki as well as the NifTools wiki saying that I would have to downgrade to Blender 2.49 even though i currently use 2.71 in order to be able to import/export NIFs. I would personally prefer to not have to do that, so I'll use your instructions first.

Just run two installations.  Download 2.49 (what I use) into a new directory.  I THINK you can choose your own file path when installing.  Just rename your existing short cut so the new install won't overwrite what is on your desktop.  I ran two versions of Blender before I stopped making meshes for Skyrim.

Guest marieruth

Just run two installations.  Download 2.49 (what I use) into a new directory.  I THINK you can choose your own file path when installing.  Just rename your existing short cut so the new install won't overwrite what is on your desktop.  I ran two versions of Blender before I stopped making meshes for Skyrim.

Okay, I will do that, should I just go through all of these instructions, then?

1y1kfYZ.png

You can't change the Pythons or PyFFIs locations.  The exe for Blender should give you a custom folder destination option.  Things might have changed, and I did this in reverse order (installed a newer version of Blender in a non-default folder) so I wouldn't wreck my FO3/NV Blender.

Guest marieruth

Sorta-Progress  (?)

I cannot get my head around the cheese, no images of cheese I actually liked or modified enough that I was okay with how it looked, either, this looks very very plain... But at least making the toppings was much less of a pain. :)

post-470694-0-27963800-1408148543_thumb.png

:-/  It does look flat.  Once you get everything set to where you're ready to add it to the game I'll help you with whatever you want to tweak, IF that is something you're interested in.  Cool if you don't want to, just offering.  I KNOW what it is like to struggle and not be happy with the end result.  :P

Guest marieruth

:-/  It does look flat.  Once you get everything set to where you're ready to add it to the game I'll help you with whatever you want to tweak, IF that is something you're interested in.  Cool if you don't want to, just offering.  I KNOW what it is like to struggle and not be happy with the end result.  :P

I was trying to make it look at least similar to this: 

DF6yjqP.png

But without blatantly copying it. It's not fancy details but it's a nice pizza texture.

And it looks like a realistic pizza, too. But it doesn't look out-of-place in a video game, either (even though the screenshot was in the Sims 2).

I think that I've made at least 10 pizza base meshes so far. And everytime I unwrap the pizza mesh after marking the seams in Blender, the UV layout is just like a nightmare so I think that less geometry will make it easier for me to adjust the UV overlay.

And I only started using Blender recently, so there's a butt ton of tools in it that I haven't touched yet and such.

There's no easy way to make a UV in Blender.  You could go the TGA route and draw a UV in GIMP and then import it, but that's a BIG learning curve.  Don't feel bad though.  I taught myself the basics in Blender in a weekend and I still haven't 'mastered' it 6 years later.   :P   By the time you're done with your pizza you'll probably be able to teach me things I didn't know.

Guest marieruth

There's no easy way to make a UV in Blender.  You could go the TGA route and draw a UV in GIMP and then import it, but that's a BIG learning curve.  Don't feel bad though.  I taught myself the basics in Blender in a weekend and I still haven't 'mastered' it 6 years later.   :P   By the time you're done with your pizza you'll probably be able to teach me things I didn't know.

I was thinking of putting a mound-like thing across the top of the pizza so it looks less flat and more natural, but I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to use sculpt mode

Remember that your normal map will add a lot of depth to an otherwise flat surface.  The manhole covers in the vanilla game are flat wafers.  When I want to add dimension to a flat surface I usually subdivide the vertices and then manually pull up and push down (on the Z axis) the areas I want to change.  I get dubious effects with the sculpting tool.  I normally subdivide vertices and smooth the faces afterwards.

Guest marieruth

Remember that your normal map will add a lot of depth to an otherwise flat surface.  The manhole covers in the vanilla game are flat wafers.  When I want to add dimension to a flat surface I usually subdivide the vertices and then manually pull up and push down (on the Z axis) the areas I want to change.  I get dubious effects with the sculpting tool.  I normally subdivide vertices and smooth the faces afterwards.

So for normalmaps, do you just use the UV overlay and make the normalmap in GIMP?

Baking the normal in Blender is too much work.  You can do it in GIMP.  Once you final texture is done, desaturate it 'Luminousity' and adjust the briteness/contrast to reduce the blaring white.  Besure you have a nice contrast though.  Add a bump map and adjust the lighting angle to your liking.  Delete the Alpha layer (GIMP normals do not like the alpha for some reason).  Then convert it to a normal map.  Use 3x3 or 5x5.  There is also scale and another dropdown I can't remember the name of right now.  I have a tutorial for all of this somewhere.  I'll have to find it for you.  Anyway, you can get perfectly reasonable normals out of GIMP for FO or Oblivion.

Guest marieruth

attachicon.gifNormalMapInfo.jpg

Try those settings for a GIMP normal map.  I forgot to tick the Options box for 'Wrap'.  You need to wrap.  :P

Will do when I get to that point. Do you know if there exists an option in Blender that works similar to how the F key  works in GECK in Render View? Making objects fall onto surfaces? I'm trying to make the pepperoni appear naturally placed rather than completely straight, and manually doing it makes it look worse when I do it at least...