Finally, science validates my attitude!

prideslayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2663805/Haters-gonna-hate-makes-better-job-Grumpy-negative-people-efficient-happy-colleagues.html

...that grumpy person you know may actually be better at their job since they spend so much time on fewer activities.

This, according to U.S. research, gives them the opportunity to hone their skills in specific tasks more so than people with a sunny disposition.

;)

...that grumpy person you know may actually be better at their job since they spend so much time on fewer activities.

In my case, that's not true about 'fewer' activities. I am the Jack of All Many Trades at my workplace and have much more knowledge of other trades than I let others believe, even a few outside of the Production area I work in. The reason for anger is, of course, this quote:

by prideslayer:

The question is.. are we angry because we're picking up everyone elses slack, or do we pick up their slack because we're naturally angry?

I get a bit of both. ;)

I get quite a bit of this shit, because I'm not a Half-Ass Harry or a Corporate Clown, and I actually care about the end result. So I'll change the Research quote;

...that grumpy person you know may actually be better at their job since they spend so much time on picking up almost everyone else's slack AND doing their own job as well.

I don't see how this is a positive thing though. People are already treated like shit by their management enough. Studies like this further perpetuate the idea that workers don't need to be happy with their job, and that anger and stress isn't the sign of a problem, but the sign of progress.

I'm a constantly stressed out worker and I'm on my way to a promotion. I'm stressed that I have to pick up everyone's slack and I get no constructive feedback. However, this leads the executive adviser to believe that positive reinforcement is unnecessary and vague criticism keeps us on our toes. Even after being told time and time again, he doesn't understand that certain people need to be more aware of their expectations and probably retrained or let go. Instead, he DOESN'T let us know what is expected of us and creates an air of nervousness where people are simply likely to give up since there is no positive outcome aside from a paycheck.

If someone above you is too fucking lazy to give you a clear understanding of the objectives at hand and what you're expected to do, then they need to be fired. 

Archived