New Vegas GECK hair issue

tomfoolery

So, I have lots of hair mods. And I'm trying to combine them into one big mod. But for some reason, the GECK won't save the hair settings when I put the files in the various race sections.

I've tried creating a new esp and adding all the files one by one, I've tried activating them all and making a new esp that uses them, I've tried using another mod as the active file, I've tried the hair mods themselves in various combinations, I've tried running the Geck as administrator, I've tried re-downloading the Geck... I've tried just about everything I can think of.

It saves other settings. Weight settings, texture/mesh changes... but not hair changes for some reason.

I'm running it on Windows 7 64bit if that means anything.

Well I've been playing around for a bit. I've been able to make my own esp without a problem. First you're not getting the infamous 'all boxes must be closed' when you try to save right? When you're moving the hairs over, the ones you're moving are they retaining their playable marks in the hair menu. And you're making sure that you're in the proper dialog box for the sex you're putting the hair in. If you're in male, but the hair is marked female, funky stuff will happen.

I can probably muddle up the entire thing in a halfday or so into a single esp, I'll probably miss a few hairs, but if you're still having problems just let me know.

Okie. The "all boxes must be closed" won't allow you to save until active editing windows are shut. Really it just means you need to make sure your hair/race/etc windows are closed before trying to save otherwise it will sometimes lose your work if you save, then close.

Also I've found in the past that sometimes the geck gets cranky if you're doing large numbers of edits in an open window, without closing it occasionally. The other thing is make sure your form ID's don't have spaces when you're creating them. It'll allow them, but you'll never be able to save it actively, and most of the time it won't even tell you why.

If you're still having a problem with it, just post back and I'll see about kicking out a merged esp/esm or custom esp tomorrowish.

Here ya go. Should have almost everything, there's an esp and a esm, use one or the other. Not both.

You'll need to unpack any existing mod that you currently have that uses bsa files, and move the loose files over. Like Ashara's, bsa unpacker can do the job though. I don't think I missed anything, I made sure it's relatively clean. It of course won't support any custom race, if you need that you'll have to do it on your own. Checked on asian, caucasian, hispanic and african-american, and didn't see any funky problems.

It only supports females, and male supported hair(I think I put them in). Kinda tired and dopy.

Password is emgt_mash

Tomfoolery, hey are you loading the hair mods in geck and saving in a new esp? (the saved esp contains your combined hairs) if so it wont work. I have problems with this too. So what i did is remade the whole hair mods and created a new mod that contains all hair mods, problem is by doing this you will add all hair one by one again for each race.

My never released mod contains lings hair, mm10 hair, some mikoto hair, some crosswings hair, and asharas.

Sometime later or maybe never i may put it up, there are no problems removed conflicting and same hairs, choosen better textures, but one problem. Using a custom race results in geck editting adding all hairs again one by one. And i seem to have lost my .7z packed file which contains it. I have it installed in nv, but its annoying to poke around each mesh directory.

Hope this helps.

Here ya go. Should have almost everything' date=' there's an esp and a esm, use one or the other. Not both.

You'll need to unpack any existing mod that you currently have that uses bsa files, and move the loose files over. Like Ashara's, bsa unpacker can do the job though. I don't think I missed anything, I made sure it's relatively clean. It of course won't support any custom race, if you need that you'll have to do it on your own. Checked on asian, caucasian, hispanic and african-american, and didn't see any funky problems.

It only supports females, and male supported hair(I think I put them in). Kinda tired and dopy.

Password is emgt_mash

Alright, thanks Mashi. I really appreciate this.

Tomfoolery' date=' hey are you loading the hair mods in geck and saving in a new esp? (the saved esp contains your combined hairs) if so it wont work. I have problems with this too. So what i did is remade the whole hair mods and created a new mod that contains all hair mods, problem is by doing this you will add all hair one by one again for each race.

Hope this helps.

[/quote']

Yeah, I was trying to load them and then save it all in a new esp.

I did try just loading the FalloutNV esm and add each hair one by one, but that didn't work either. Though since then I re-installed the geck and now have it set to run as administrator, so it might work if I try again. Might have to if another hair mod comes along and catches my eye. Ah well, I did it in Oblivion, I can do it again.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I`ve got a problem that might fit this topic :-/

I tried to add the remaining CoolHairs from Mojave Delight to Mashis esp (thx a lot for your work Mashi ^^) but the problem is...in G.E.C.K. I can only assign one dds-file to one nif-file but I also need h.dds and n.dds for those hairs to look good, or am I missing something? Why does this esp work for the hairs added by Mashi but not for the rest of the coolhairs?

Hope you can help me :-/

Archived