If there were an HDT FAQ, what questions would you have in it?

Monsto Brukes

It occurs to me that the answers to common questions are kinda spread out. Lets centralize them. 

Q: When I take off the outfit, the game crashes!
Q: HDT PE crashes when I use a custom race or standalone follower.
Q: My game crashes as soon as I loot an armour from a human NPC.

Q: My program constantly crashes on load after installing HDT PE. Nothing else was changed in my mod setup and it used to run fine. What went wrong?

A: Make sure you are using XPMS or XPMS Extended.

Q: My boobs often look like a particle in Brownian motion!
A: It's time to find another hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml and other .xml's(if you use any).

Q: I edit the NPC Breasts and NPC Butt bones in JFF/text editor. But no changes occur?
A: Make sure NPC Pre-Breasts and NPC Pre-Butts are set to virtual object under group id and are keyframe objects

Q: Where is the HDT log file?
A: <Skyrim Path>\Data\SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensions.log

Q: HDT PE crashes my game when I have SOS Light installed.
A: Make sure that the SOS Light skeleton overwrites the male skeleton provided in XMPS Extended.

Q: HDT PE is working, but I don't get breast collision.
A: This feature is not included in HDT PE itself. You'll need another mod for that, e.g. this one.

Q: The BBP effect of HDT PE is not working on some of my armour. Why?
A: The armour mesh you use must be BBP compatible. If the BBP effect works on your body but not on your armour, your armour is not BBP compatible.

Q: When using breast collision with the Havok Physics Object, the breasts often get "stuck" in weird positions. How to fix this?
A: Your skeleton, HDT PE version, and HDT xml configurations must agree with each other. Most likely you have happened to pick a combination which doesn't work well. You can find a group of files that work well together here (for example). Alternatively, you can simply unequip the HDT Havok Physics Object, exit the inventory screen (breasts should go back to normal) and re-equip it afterwards.

Q: After calling "showracemenu" on the Skyrim console with the Race Menu mod installed, the HDT BBP and/or HDT hair effects stops working.
A: This seems to be a bug. Saving your game, quitting to desktop and restarting it should fix this issue.

Q: Using HDT PE with "Realistic Ragdolls and Force" crashes my game.
A: Make sure that the XMPS Skeleton Extended overwrites the skeleton provided by Realistic Ragdolls and Force.

Q: How do I get a Havok Physics Object in-game after installing a mod that contains it?
A: Either kill a human NPC and loot it, or open the console and type "help havok". This should list a couple of entries, where one is labelled as "armour". It has an object ID consisting of uppercase letters and numbers. Type "player.additem <id> 1" where <id> is the object ID of the armour.

Q: I use the XMPS Skeleton Extended, but I still get crashes with HDT PE. Why?
A: There is a FOMOD installer for the XMPS Skeleton Extended Mod. In one of the pages, it asks you if you are going to use an HDT-based mod. Make sure you tick the "yes" option when installing.

Q: My character's breasts look "crushed" when using HDT PE. How to fix this?
A: It depends on your exact setup, but often it helps to rename the file "skeleton_female.hkx" (located in "Data/meshes/actors/character/character assets female/") to something else, e.g. "skeleton_female.hkx.bak". This will prevent Skyrim from finding the file and HDT PE is in full control, avoiding the crushed look.

Q: Breast collision works but the hands are clipping through the boobs all the time. What's wrong?
A (long version): This is related to how HDT PE works. It's a *physics* system which is rather generic, i.e. not written in particular for female bodies. It doesn't actually know anything about hands or boobs. It uses the virtual "bones" which are hidden within your character. They have no physical shape, but they work similar as "regular" human bones. When a bone moves, the associated part of the mesh moves with it. Imagine a bone within each of your character's breasts. As an object approaches, HDT PE tries to keep a "minimum distance" between the tip of the breast bone and the incoming object. Notice that the system does not care about the actual mesh. It just moves the breast bone away to "avoid" the collision. If your breast mesh is bigger than the fixed minimum distance between hand and breast bone, the hand will visually clip through the surface of the boob mesh. Since the animations (i.e. sexy idles, or sex animations, or....) are fixed, all you can do is to adjust your boob size. The lower you turn it, the more likely your mesh will be small enough to fit into the minimum distance between breast bone and hand bone, thus avoiding clipping issues.
A (short version): The animation itself is a fixed movement and suitable for a given boob size only. If you want no clipping, go ahead and reduce the size of the boobs. You've got to make compromises here.

Q: I'm doing a manual HDT PE installation. In which file location do the *.dll and *.xml files go?
A: Into Skyrim/Data/SKSE/plugins.

Q: I'd like to use HDT PE with CBBE. Do I really need CHSBHC in order to make it work?
A: No. But you do need a (T)BBP compatible body (and skeleton). CHSBHC is one such body, but there are alternatives. For example, go and get Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio, run Bodyslide 2 and select "Caliente Body Advanced TBBP" as your body, do some modifications if you want and hit "Build Bodies" (or "Batch Build" if you want to build armors along with the body). That's all you need to get a TBBP-compatible CBBE mesh. Install the  XMPS Extended skeleton and you should be good to go.

Q: I'm using Nexus Mod Manager / I am doing a manual installation. What's the proper overwrite order for the required mods for HDT PE?
A: SKSE followed by Body mod (CBBE, UNP...) followed by Realistic Ragdolls and Force followed by XMPS Skeleton Extended  (always overriding all previous files) followed by actual HDT PE mod.

Q: I have SKSE and HDT PE installed.But the breasts do not jiggle
- You have to start Skyrim with the SKSE launcher
- You need a TBBP compatible skeleton: http://www.loverslab...leton-extended/
- If you use a custom race, check if the breed has its own skeleton and replace it
- You need at least a BBP Body and Armor, better TBBP

Q: My breasts and / or buttocks flutters . It does not stop
- Each xml is written for a specific version of the DLL
- Do not mix the xml with other dll - stick to the specification from the xml Authors
- Edit the XML with " Just For Fun " - Tool or editor of your choice.
- Use the group id 's and the collision filter.
- Check fit and calculate whether CapsuleShape to your BodySet the friction and Restutition to 0
- Find a stable value by tests. My recommendation - Breast and Butt always 0, it is enough if hands etc. have a coefficient of friction.

Q: My breasts play at Crazy SexLab - animations with a man
- The used hdt.xml was not edited
- The hdt.xml requires clean settings for group id 's and collision filter

Q: My breasts wiggle is too strong?
- Havok is a Physic software.
- Force = mass * acceleration:  Reduce the mass

Q: Why does it burn when I pee?
The answer to that question is outside of the scope of this document.

[troll]Q:Why does my HDT not work?[/troll]^^

Q: HDT is crashing on me!
A: HDT is a nickname of a modder who made HDTpe, HDThhs, HDTmempatch and HDToit. I doubt she's got a crash on you. If it's about a mod, specify which one plz.

If you would like to add to the list, I'll make a complete post in a couple days.

"When I take off the outfit, the game crashes!" - extended edition:

Make sure you are using XPMS or XPMS Extended. If you're using a custom race, make sure it gets those skeletons too.

Q: My boobs often look like a particle in Brownian motion!

A: It's time to find another hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml and other .xml's(if you use any).

Q: HDT is crashing on me!

A: HDT is a nickname of a modder who made HDTpe, HDThhs, HDTmempatch and HDToit. I doubt she's got a crash on you. If it's about a mod, specify which one plz.

Q: HDT PE crashes my game when I have SOS Light installed.

A: Make sure that the SOS Light skeleton overwrites the male skeleton provided in XMPS Extended.

Q: HDT PE crashes when I use a custom race or standalone follower.

A: Such mods often come with their own "skeleton_female.nif" file (often located in the "meshes" directory of the mod). Overwrite it with the XMPS Extended skeleton.

Q: HDT PE is working, but I don't get breast collision.

A: This feature is not included in HDT PE itself. You'll need another mod for that, e.g. this one.

Q: The BBP effect of HDT PE is not working on some of my armour. Why?

A: The armour mesh you use must be BBP compatible. If the BBP effect works on your body but not on your armour, your armour is not BBP compatible.

Q: When using breast collision with the Havok Physics Object, the breasts often get "stuck" in weird positions. How to fix this?

A: Your skeleton, HDT PE version, and HDT xml configurations must agree with each other. Most likely you have happened to pick a combination which doesn't work well. You can find a group of files that work well together here (for example). Alternatively, you can simply unequip the HDT Havok Physics Object, exit the inventory screen (breasts should go back to normal) and re-equip it afterwards.

Q: After calling "showracemenu" on the Skyrim console with the Race Menu mod installed, the HDT BBP and/or HDT hair effects stops working.

A: This seems to be a bug. Saving your game, quitting to desktop and restarting it should fix this issue.

Q: Using HDT PE with "Realistic Ragdolls and Force" crashes my game.

A: Make sure that the XMPS Skeleton Extended overwrites the skeleton provided by Realistic Ragdolls and Force.

Q: How do I get a Havok Physics Object in-game after installing a mod that contains it?

A: Either kill a human NPC and loot it, or open the console and type "help havok". This should list a couple of entries, where one is labelled as "armour". It has an object ID consisting of uppercase letters and numbers. Type "player.additem <id> 1" where <id> is the object ID of the armour.

Q: My game crashes as soon as I loot an armour from a human NPC.

A: This means your game crashes as soon as a nude model is loaded. This indicates that there is a problem with a skeleton that is incompatible with HDT PE. Depending on the gender of the NPC you tried to loot (and its race, if it is a custom or modded one), it is either the male or the female skeleton. Check the other Q&As for mods that you are using.

Q: My program constantly crashes on load after installing HDT PE. Nothing else was changed in my mod setup and it used to run fine. What went wrong?

A: Most likely, you tried to load a save game of an in-game location which contains at least one naked character who is not wearing armor (player or NPC). The rest is closely related to the previous Q&A: the skeleton of that naked NPC conflicts with HDT PE and should be replaced by XMPS Extended. Don't forget to check custom races and/or follower mods since they sometimes come with their own skeleton_female.nif file, which also needs to be replaced.

Q: I use the XMPS Skeleton Extended, but I still get crashes with HDT PE. Why?

A: There is a FOMOD installer for the XMPS Skeleton Extended Mod. In one of the pages, it asks you if you are going to use an HDT-based mod. Make sure you tick the "yes" option when installing.

Q: My character's breasts look "crushed" when using HDT PE. How to fix this?

A: It depends on your exact setup, but often it helps to rename the file "skeleton_female.hkx" (located in "Data/meshes/actors/character/character assets female/") to something else, e.g. "skeleton_female.hkx.bak". This will prevent Skyrim from finding the file and HDT PE is in full control, avoiding the crushed look.

Q: Breast collision works but the hands are clipping through the boobs all the time. What's wrong?

A (long version): This is related to how HDT PE works. It's a *physics* system which is rather generic, i.e. not written in particular for female bodies. It doesn't actually know anything about hands or boobs. It uses the virtual "bones" which are hidden within your character. They have no physical shape, but they work similar as "regular" human bones. When a bone moves, the associated part of the mesh moves with it. Imagine a bone within each of your character's breasts. As an object approaches, HDT PE tries to keep a "minimum distance" between the tip of the breast bone and the incoming object. Notice that the system does not care about the actual mesh. It just moves the breast bone away to "avoid" the collision. If your breast mesh is bigger than the fixed minimum distance between hand and breast bone, the hand will visually clip through the surface of the boob mesh. Since the animations (i.e. sexy idles, or sex animations, or....) are fixed, all you can do is to adjust your boob size. The lower you turn it, the more likely your mesh will be small enough to fit into the minimum distance between breast bone and hand bone, thus avoiding clipping issues.

A (short version): The animation itself is a fixed movement and suitable for a given boob size only. If you want no clipping, go ahead and reduce the size of the boobs. You've got to make compromises here.

Q: I'm doing a manual HDT PE installation. In which file location do the *.dll and *.xml files go?

A: Into Skyrim/Data/SKSE/plugins.

Q: I'd like to use HDT PE with CBBE. Do I really need CHSBHC in order to make it work?

A: No. But you do need a (T)BBP compatible body (and skeleton). CHSBHC is one such body, but there are alternatives. For example, go and get Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio, run Bodyslide 2 and select "Caliente Body Advanced TBBP" as your body, do some modifications if you want and hit "Build Bodies" (or "Batch Build" if you want to build armors along with the body). That's all you need to get a TBBP-compatible CBBE mesh. Install the  XMPS Extended skeleton and you should be good to go.

Q: I'm using Nexus Mod Manager / I am doing a manual installation. What's the proper overwrite order for the required mods for HDT PE?

A: SKSE followed by Body mod (CBBE, UNP...) followed by Realistic Ragdolls and Force followed by XMPS Skeleton Extended  (always overriding all previous files) followed by actual HDT PE mod.

Q: What do all the values in the hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml do exactly and what are the consequences of modifying them?

A: Something like this... [i have no idea, i really would love to have this Question answered :shy: ]

-4.000000 0.000000 3.000000 0.0000000 <---- 1. movementlimit up - 2. movementlimit down - 3. idk - 4. mass

0.000000  1.000000 4.000000 3.0000000 <------ ......

springconstant bla bla bla....                      <----- modifies this and that...

I looked through the guides here on LL but they seem to be not complete.

Thanks for the Idea to put all the Questions together.

Knowledge bases are great :shy:

Q: I have SKSE and HDT PE installed.But the breasts do not jiggle 

- You have to start Skyrim with the SKSE launcher

- You need a TBBP compatible skeleton: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25971-xp32-maximum-skeleton-extended/

- If you use a custom race, check if the breed has its own skeleton and replace it

- You need at least a BBP Body and Armor, better TBBP

- If you use Mod Oragnizer (MO), set up MO, FNIS, SKSE must start by MO-

@ MONSTO - MO that's your specialty-I can not say much there, sorry

Q: My breasts and / or buttocks flutters . It does not stop

- Each xml is written for a specific version of the DLL

- Do not mix the xml with other dll - stick to the specification from the xml Authors

- Edit the XML with " Just For Fun " - Tool or editor of your choice.

- Use the group id 's and the collision filter.

- Check fit and calculate whether CapsuleShape to your BodySet the friction and Restutition to 0

- Find a stable value by tests. My recommendation - Breast and Butt always 0, it is enough if hands etc. have a coefficient of friction.

Q: My breasts play at Crazy SexLab - animations with a man

- The used hdt.xml was not edited

- The hdt.xml requires clean settings for group id 's and collision filter

Q: My breasts wiggle is too strong?

- Havok is a Physic software.

- Force = mass * acceleration:  Reduce the mass

Q: What do all the values in the hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml do exactly and what are the consequences of modifying them?

A: Something like this... [i have no idea, i really would love to have this Question answered :shy: ]

-4.000000 0.000000 3.000000 0.0000000 <---- 1. movementlimit up - 2. movementlimit down - 3. idk - 4. mass

0.000000  1.000000 4.000000 3.0000000 <------ ......

springconstant bla bla bla....                      <----- modifies this and that...

I looked through the guides here on LL but they seem to be not complete.

Thanks for the Idea to put all the Questions together.

Knowledge bases are great :shy:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/28435-unofficial-hdt-physics-extension-tutorials-under-construction/

Archived