A guide on how to modify hairs?

Skyrimfloo

Hi there! I start this thread to ask for some guidance on something I've been trying without much success lately.

There are many hairstyles I love from Oblivion hairs, Apachii, SG, etc, but I always find the same problem in them: the ones I would tipically use, either have parts hovering far from her breasts (which I don't know what's going on here, since mu character's boobs are already the size of her head, seriously people use bigger ones by default? <_<) or have very bad weighting.

I'm no 3D expert, but I've been doing my things in Outfit Studio, and I've tried fixing these things by myself using the program. I also tried adding some extra weighting, for example to make long bangs to move with breasts and such. While I manage to fix the meshes properly, I always end with the same problem in the game: the modified mesh appears translucent, while there's still an "opaque" mesh with the original shape that doesn't reflect any change at all.

I suppose that the problem lies with the .tri files, but I have no idea about how to rebuild those files. I tried once using a program with a funny name from the Oblivion nexus page, but that didn't work either, so I'm at loss here, I don't know how to use it properly.

So, anybody could give me any pointers on how to do this?

Most the common hair mods use what appears to be a blank tri file if the 1kb file size is any indication. A quick guess would be that you're only replacing the hair mesh and not the hairline mesh. Skyrim has a problem with gradated alphas causing parts to become invisible when two overlap so people use a second alpha setting on the hairline. Another problem might be your alpha and bslightingshader properties most exporters botch these up so you need to use nifskope to replace them with ones from the original.  

Archived