Dungeons and Dovah

Chapter 1 is out.

This thread can be considered closed for the time being - post anything related in the linked thread.

Voting is closed.

Final winner was Rona, with 27.8% of the votes. A new thread will be posted and linked when I finish the first chapter.

Original post:

The Pointless Rambling:

This intro is probably going to seem a bit rushed because this is basically the third time I’ve written it, though none of the previous incarnations have seen the light of day. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

So, I tried to do something sorta like this a few months back. It was basically an LP done through text and images and was probably a lot less funny than I thought it was. Unfortunately (or maybe not), my hard drive completely died about six or seven chapters in. My saves were safely backed up onto an external drive, but all of my screenshots, mods, and writing were not so lucky. It was a week before I got a replacement drive in, and another month before I had finally repaired my Skyrim installation and pieced my load order back together. At that point the thread was long dead, and I figured it was better left that way.

Instead, I tried to start again with a new character. The fact that a thread for this character doesn’t exist should be evidence enough that things didn’t go as planned. Due to a slight misunderstanding about the way the profile system works in MO, I accidentally deleted a massive portion of my load order about twenty hours into the playthrough. Whoops.

Third time around, nothing actually went wrong. I still have the load order saved and a few chapters written and everything. I just kinda got bored with it. (For those curious, it was about an aspiring Argonian mage by the name of Lizardy Herbert. I was chronicling his ascension into Wizardy Herbert. Be glad that the idea was as short-lived as it was.)

The Real(er) Intro:

So, this time I figured we could do something a bit different. Around the time that Dragonborn came out, I saw a thread on RPGnet along the lines of “Skyrim D&D” (couldn’t track down the link, but I’ll keep looking EDIT: Told you I'd keep looking - here's the original link and here's the start of the story proper). The title was slightly misleading, but pleasantly so – it was actually more like D&D in Skyrim, with readers voting to select one of a number of prefab characters, and then communally deciding after every chapter or two what steps the character would take next.

Alas, like most serialized works of fiction, it was abruptly cancelled. So, in keeping with my main talent, I’ve decided to shamelessly steal the concept (but I call it “inspiration” because it sounds nobler). So, who’s ready for some Dungeons & Dragon(born)s?

The Setup:

While my mod list is far too extensive to explain in-depth, the most important ones for our purposes (at least for now) are Skyrim Redone, Character Creation Overhaul, and Live Another Life. SkyRe is a general rebalancing of just about everything in the game; CCO allows for selection of birthsigns and chosen skill bonuses at character creation (a la previous Elder Scrolls titles); and Live Another Life will give us a bit of premade backstory (as well as letting us skip the intro we’ve all seen about a thousand times before). Any other mod will be explained a bit more thoroughly whenever it becomes relevant.

As far as actual rules go – basically, each potential character will have their own limitations, both from a personality standpoint as well as actual gameplay. For instance, a Vigilant of Stendarr would never do anything for a Daedric Prince; similarly, they wouldn’t be allowed the use of certain Conjuration spells, namely those that summon undead or daedra. Any such limits should be made clear in each character’s bio.

Other than that, nothing particularly out of the ordinary – no fast travel, no savescumming, no accidentally fucking up my load order again.

So, without further ado...

The Players:

Nix, Breton Summoner

I’m going to need a large sack and an alibi. Whiterun City is about to find itself on the receiving end of the greatest sweetroll heist of all time.

Skills: Major - Conjuration, Illusion, Alchemy; Minor - Sneak, Fingersmithing, Destruction

Birthsign: The Ritual (300% summon duration; other spells are weaker and cost more magicka)

Alternate Start: Necromancer or Outlaw

Racial Bonuses: +15% magic resist; Twin Blood Summoning/Eruption (long cast spells which remove the summoning cap, and double spell magnitude while halving cost, respectively)

Limitations: Weapons limited to daggers; armor limited to robes; no restoration magic.

Wanted for 17 counts of necromancy, 68 counts of petty theft, and 145 counts of general douchebaggery, Nix prefers to think of herself as “morally challenged”. Others like to think of her as an asshole. Of course, it’s a mantle that should be easy to adopt, but she has yet to accomplish any meaningful acts of villainy - something that she plans to remedy (without discontinuing her casual acts of villainy, of course).

Strategy: Summon things. Use those things to kill other things. Raise the bodies of the other things to kill more things. Throw fire at anything that’s left.

Noire, Dunmer Warlock

I’m sure you’re all wondering why I’ve gathered you here. If you’ll just direct your attention to the highly flammable material beneath your feet, I’m sure you’ll understand.

Skills: Major – Destruction, Illusion, Sneak; Minor – Alteration, Alchemy, Light Armor

Birthsign: The Serpent (+50% sneak attack damage; -20% non-sneak attack damage)

Alternate Start: Random (excluding vampire or property starts)

Racial Bonuses: +50% fire resist; Ancestor’s Wrath (whenever health drops below 50%, gain 15% dodge and +50% damage to fire spells); Ancestor’s Fury (once per day, when health drops below 30%, summon two Dunmer ancestors to aid you)

Limitations: Weapons limited to pointy things; armor limited to light armor or robes; may only use fire-type elemental spells.

From a young age, Noire found he was proficient in two areas: getting into trouble, and silencing the witnesses. Proficient, yes, but not perfect, and after a contract gone wrong he’s fled to Skyrim. Supposedly, the last remnants of the Dark Brotherhood exist somewhere in this frozen wasteland, and he could certainly use a refuge. And a bit of cash.

Strategy: Be vewy, vewy quiet… then roast them alive and hope the screaming doesn’t wake the others. Though, if it does, all the better.

Annalei, Imperial (Child) Vampire

Oh, please, do come inside for a spell. I believe supper has just arrived.

Skills: Major – Light Weaponry, Destruction, Speechcraft; Minor – Illusion, Light Armor, Alchemy

Birthsign: The Apprentice (+25 magicka, +50% magicka regeneration; -25% magic resist)

Alternate Start: Vampire

Racial Bonuses: +25% selling and -25% buying prices; +20% movement speed

Limitations: Weapons limited to any bladed weapon, or daggers only if dual-wielding; armor limited to light armor/robes.

You thought little Babette was the only child among the unliving? Oh, my, how very precious. No, dear, I’m afraid she is not quite so unique. She certainly does have it easy, I’ll grant… getting paid for nothing more than finishing her meals, the brat. Bitter, you say? No, I’m far above such petty emotions. Besides, I have my sights set on greater things. Things far more… interesting.

Strategy: Oh, my, wouldn’t you like to know? Rest assured that I always have a plan, dear – it’s just that I so rarely follow it. We’ll just do whatever looks fun.

Do’Zha, Khajiit Monk

There is more to being a monk than hitting people into submission… but it is the part that this one likes the best.

Skills: Major – Light Weaponry, Wayfarer, Light Armor; Minor – Fingersmithing, Sneak, Speechcraft

Birthsign: The Lady (+50% health and stamina regen; -50% magicka regen)

Alternate Start: Random (excluding vampire start)

Racial Bonuses: +1 damage to unarmed per 10 remaining stamina; +20% movement speed, increased jump height, reduced fall damage; Night Eye (night vision); Survival Instinct (once per day, when health drops below 25%, gain +25% movement and attack speed)

Limitations: No weapons, except perhaps temporary use of anything we steal via an unarmed perk; armor limited to light armor; no crafting.

Abandoned there at birth, Do’Zha never really felt like he belonged at the monastery. He always imagined he had a little Nordic blood in him, excelling at the intense physical training of the Whispering Fang monks but failing in even the simplest attempts at meditation or scholarly pursuit. After (repeatedly) violating his vow of chastity, the monastery too felt that Do’Zha had no place among their ranks, and he was sent out into the world to seek wisdom (or, failing that, to get out of their fur for a while).

Strategy: Erm. Punch them? Hard?

Morn, Orsimer Vigilant

Afraid? Of a Daedra? You must be new around here.

Skills: Major – Light Weaponry, Restoration, Heavy Armor; Minor – Smithing, Alteration, Enchanting

Birthsign: The Atronach (+150 magicka, +50% spell absorption; -95% magicka regeneration)

Alternate Start: Vigilant

Racial Bonuses: +25% tempering quality; Berserker Rage (sacrifice 25% current health to deal double and take half damage for 60 seconds; potions are extremely ineffective while active)

Limitations: Weapons limited to blunt one-handers (maces, clubs); armor limited to a combination of heavy armor and robes; cannot summon undead or Daedra, nor “cavort” with them (CAVORT WITH ANY DAEDRA AND WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN)

From a young age, Morn wanted nothing more than to lead her stronghold. From an even younger age, she knew it would never be possible – orc chieftains, as a rule, were strictly male. What would have been an honorable victory and a claim to leadership from a male was simply murder in the eyes of the rest of the stronghold. Cast out and seething with anger, she called upon Malacath to punish her former tribe; instead, in a cruel twist of fate, Malacath cursed her. For the crime of failing to appreciate the home she had, she was doomed to wander forever without one. Her rage has not dimmed over the years, however, and she has a new goal now – to kill a Daedric Prince…

Strategy: Whack ‘em with one hand, heal with the other. Repeat as necessary.

Rona, Redguard (Ex-)Bandit

Yeah, I’ve made some mistakes. I can see that now. But you don’t know what it’s like. Out there, it’s different. Out there, being strong is more important than being right. And it's also a hell of a lot more fun.

Skills: Major – Marksmanship, Heavy Weaponry, Wayfarer; Minor – Heavy Armor, Block, Smithing

Birthsign: The Lord (+25% magic resistance; -25% physical damage resistance)

Alternate Start: Outlaw or Left for Dead

Racial Bonuses: +50 base stamina; Sandstorm Charge (slow time by 25% while increasing movement speed by 15% for 15 seconds)

Limitations: Weapons limited to crossbows and warhammers/battleaxes; armor limited to heavy armor.

Rona wasn’t always a stereotypical wild child. At one point, she had been comfortable as the daughter of a prominent noble. But it was just. so. BORING. She stole away one night with nothing but a hunting knife and a sack of gold. She quickly realized that this was a grave mistake, one punctuated by hunger pains and frostbite. Too prideful to go back and too weak to press on, she would have died in the snow if not for the notice of a passing hunter, who carried Rona back to her camp and filled her with enough food for two grown men. This might have been a happy ending if their campfire hadn’t attracted the attention of a roving group of outlaws. Rona pleaded for their lives, and the bandits said they’d show mercy, that they had space in their camp for a servant – but only one. The hunter refused to draw her knife. Rona, to her eternal shame, barely even hesitated. And she left behind the bleeding body of her nameless savior in favor of a life among thieves and murderers.

Strategy: Use the heads of the last group as a warning to the next. Of course, they never just walk away. That’s what makes it fun.

Whew. Would you believe me if I told you that I actually spent some time trimming all that down? It’s actually quite painful for me now to realize that only one of these characters is going to grow and achieve their goals, and the rest are just going to sit here, a testament to lost dreams, to what could have been but never will be… or we can just go back and play through them one at a time or something, I dunno. That’d be a months-long undertaking though, so for now operate on the assumption that we’re going to be seeing the story of just one of them. Choose wisely.

Last but not least, one of the most important and least immersive aspects of this whole undertaking: mod selection.

Previously I mentioned that we’d be using SkyRe, CCO, and Live Another Life. I’m also going to be running Apocalypse Spell Package and Community Uncapper, as well as Frostfall, RND, and Better Vampires (the former two of which I’ll be using if we DON’T play our vampire character, the latter of which I’ll only use if we do, for the sake of script load). However, there are a few things I want your opinions on before we start – this is an interactive playthrough, after all.

Falskaar, Wyrmstooth, Interesting NPCs – these each add a fair bit of content and world-building (Interesting NPCs in particular I always run) but are, naturally, a bit less polished than the main game/DLCs. Up to you guys if we’re going to use any/all of them.

Climates of Tamriel + Immersive NPCs in the Dark – together, these would pretty significantly affect enemy AI as well as severely inhibiting my ability to fight in the dark without a Night Eye power. Sounds good in theory, but may make nighttime/dungeon screenshots harder to see. Again, up to you guys whether we’re going to use them.

Deadly Dragons, Dragonborn Ascendant, TK Dodge – every once in a while I like to go through and check out combat-tweaking mods to add on my next playthrough. These were the ones I was going to try out the next time I started a new character, which, hey, is right now! These are the biggest unknowns of the lot, so I’d appreciate any experienced opinions.

I’ll look into any other suggestions too, so long as the mod(s) in question don’t conflict with anything in my already overburdened load order.

“ARE WE DONE YET?” Yeah, I think so. I preemptively apologize for whatever I’ve forgotten, and promise to rectify it posthaste. Until then!

Oh right. Voting. Uh, we’ll say 50 votes total or 3 days til the poll closes? Unless this thread gets absurdly popular for some reason, then maybe 100 votes. We’ll just play it by ear. Okay? Okay. Bye for real now.

Poll is closed. The final results:

13401666024_5b7c6a33fd_o.png

Once I finish the initial setup and write the first chapter, I'm going to start a new post specifically for the character we're playing. Until then, here's a character preview:

13402152643_12ef78c44e_o.jpg

Fun! Sounds like what I was preparing for my Arna Horker toon, except for using a dice system to decide chances and outcomes and 10 get-out-of-jail-for-free cards where a quickload is allowed to avoid an early boring death. The fun part is considering real-life perspectives, in example Arna is not a murderer and when starving she won't stab a group of bandits in the eye to steal their roast of goat, similar to how in real-life I wouldn't bludgeon a bum to dead just because I'm hungry and would want his hamburger. I'll probably start it as well, the more stories the merrier. Arna'd be the 18+ story, Miki the more PG friendly one. Looking forward to this. :)

Archived