Oblivion TESedit, WyreBash, CK, version advised

Hello People in the Oblivion Realm

An alien is requesting some advice on the advised TESedit version that is advised to use while visiting the realm of Oblivion. :)

I am setting up my Steam game and want to make sure I have all the tools needed to get the job done. Any advise on the current Wyre Bash version and anything with CK setup version etc is also appreciated.

My goal is to have the needed tools to be able to do light modding and basic records changes as needed for personal changes (at first). Changing records, fixing minor issues, cleaning mods. You get the idea. :exclamation:

EDIT:

What has been added since.

OBMM 1.1.12 Manual

OBSE v0020

TES Construction Set 1.2.4.4

TES4Edit

Oblivion Construction Set Extender 62.

Nexus is down again but you need the TES4edit version for oblivion TES5edit is for skyrim. For mod manager download the OBMM (oblivion mod manager) which is also found on the nexus. Oblivion doesn't use CK (creation kit)that is for skyrim oblivion has the CS (creation set)

Thanks for the quick replay and a thank you has been given :angel: . lol

Sometime in the past someone stated that I was to change something for the TESedit5 to make it work for the Oblivion. Oh well It is probably better that I use the one created for it to start with.

I will have OBMM installed as well. Need it to install some of the scripted mods. Even if it is just to prep the mods for use with other managers. ;) (WyreBash, MO etc)

Thanks for the clarification on the CK vs CS. I guess I got those confused. :blush: Would have taken me a lot of time searching for the wrong thing.

Your welcome.

If you plan on using any of the lovers mods the LAPF is the framework there is a list/thread that lists all mods that are not compatible with it. Oblivion has the same mod limit as the other ones you can get past some of them if you do like I do.

I no longer install armor/outfit mods I made myself a .esp with the CS and then added a chest in a house made it usable by me so that I don't get in trouble for stealing my own stuff. Then whenever I find a armor/outfit mod I unzip it throw away the .esp drop the meshes and textures into the data folder then add the parts of the outfits I want to the armor list in CS and then drop them into my chest after I have added all of the ones I wanted to the chest I hit ok and then save so that everything gets saved to the .esp. Atm I have around 47.8 GB in my oblivion folder half of which is armors and outfits.

For bodies there is a mod called set body reloaded which has almost all bodies out there in it and all you have to do is cast a spell to change your players body size. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13908-gerra-and-movomos-setbody-reloaded/?hl=%20set%20%20body%20%20reloaded

I will likely want to learn how to add the armors and stuff that I want to chest etc as I desire in the future myself. I hear it is easy enough to do. Perhaps even later learn how to convert body armors and such to the body of choice (for myself) It might take some work but a good learning experience. Of course this is all depending on time. this time I am taking a lot of time to set things up properly with backups and such so that I can continue and make the best use of my time gaming and a little customizing

I have used Lovers mods before and did have it working for a brief time. Like those new to Oblvion and those mods and requirements somewhere along the way I installed a mod or two that just caused the game to go crazy. The more I tried to fix it the more crazy and troublesome it became. In Fallout I am good enough to find out the culprit and fix most any problems I have encountered without much fuss. Oblivon is different (not mechanics but mod wise) from FNV so It will be a learning curve to gather the info needed to be sufficient in working with the CS. Same with the CK and Skyrim.

I am also going to likely need to watch Gofers tutorials on cleaning as well. I hear there is a lot of cleaning needed to be done to some of the mods and even stuff that was part of the original game as well to get the stability I need.

The reason I asked for the version is this:

Gopher's first video

covers important cleaning aspects of TES5Edit and I look forward to more helful videos from him.

Rename to TES4Edit.exe to work with Oblivion.
Rename to FO3Edit.exe to work with Fallout3.
Rename to FNVEdit.exe to work with New Vegas.

Fallout3 Training Manual for FO3Edit (applies to all game versions)

This lead me to believe that the newest version (as I had read somewhere before) was the version needed to use just renaming the .exe to the proper version would work. The data file that is included (the one that is told not to rename and to leave alone) was the file that held the proper info on what is running and what should/ shouldn't be edited etc. The framework of the edit program.

Yeah I think I read that on one of his pages before I just always just downloaded FNVedit TES4edit TES5edit from the nexus.

Yeah all of the DLC's for oblivion are dirty *except* for the shiver isle DLC that one is fine the rest Beth was lazy on. Some mods like the Hentiamania series are also very dirty.

There is this cool tool by gerra6 that can help with converting armors and it doesn't need any type of 3d tool like blender or 3Dmax http://www.loverslab.com/topic/27557-new-clothing-body-type-converter-beta40-3-12-2014/

There is this cool tool by gerra6 that can help with converting armors and it doesn't need any type of 3d tool like blender or 3Dmax http://www.loverslab...ta40-3-12-2014/

Thanks! I am quite aware of that tool however not aware of anything related to the program used. I haven't even begin to load the program much less understand the functionality of the tool. Depending on which armors I wish to change over the results can vary (currently). It currently works best with similar armors from the same game even though the tool should function with other games and such. (so I have read could be wrong) The setting up the rigging and such is a bit to much for me to work  on now.

Mostly I will start with setting up a basic game, editors, and some advanced tools like what you have done adding textures to a chest etc. Cleaning the mods, or at least being aware of the records in question, Perhaps combining appropriate mods (armors, body beautification, etc. not script based.)

I have finished loading the XXXedit tools into my various game folders and backed up the Steam folder. Have the script extenders. Tomorrow I will try to get some time to add the editors (CS, GECK, CK etc) and the necessary tools (GECKPU) set up etc. Perhaps the mod managers, OBMM, WyreBash, Mod Manager, and FOMM (FOMM is already installed but not set up and ready. Mod folders locations etc)

Slow process and lots of testing for the base game folder. Hopefully this will help me from the horrible melt down I had with the tools and conflicts a month ago. Could then restore the Steam and tools back to the drive and continue. Even if I had to reload the tools and such I can just then copy over the files (settings etc) back over the clean install and continue again. (for the most part)

I am slowly getting there.

Hello,

I am not using the latest version of Wrye Bash for various reasons. This is the one which has my preference :

https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash/releases/tag/v295.5

It has some tiny quirks, like having to manually fix the URLs in your browser each time you want to visit the source of a mod (or setting up a local proxy I guess), but on the other hand it has never disappointed me over stability or performance.

The latest version of TES4edit I am using is 3_0_31 :

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/11536

Also, please be aware that the toolset now has a very powerful extender, thanks to ShadeMe and OBSE (v21) :

http://obse.silverlock.org

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/36370

I would elaborate some more, but it's getting awefully late here, and work, yeah, well, it just wouldn't be serious. I will try to reply tomorrow if you have any further questions.

Hello,

I am not using the latest version of Wrye Bash for various reasons. This is the one which has my preference :

https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash/releases/tag/v295.5

Agree 100%.  Versions beyond this of Wyre have more broken shit than you can shake a stick at.  For Oblivion you really should stick with this version.

And I 2nd that, same one I've used for years now.

I'm still using TES4Edit (ver. 3.0.15) to do my cleaning of MODs. Works well enough see no compelling reasons to upgrade.

For Oblivion and Construction Set, I'd also recommend CSE, Construction Set Extender. Can be found on Nexus.

I recently tried 6.2 and didn't care for some of the non-sizeable windows; affects my workflow. So I went back to 5.1

One other tool I use on rare occasions is TES4Gecko (ver. 15.2). Was slightly challenging to get setup (requires Java) but now that it is, among other things I use it to remove or reorder masters from ESPs, when Wrye complains about it. Lots of other useful features.

I installed the Creation Kit Extender and it gave me an DX error. I have the correct DX installed however it is DX11. It seemed to work afterwards however. Will this be an issue going forward? If so what solution is needed.

Win7x64 is used. Game ran through steam.

Edit

Creation Set Extender :blush: Lord help me. Asking for help and I can't even give the correct name of the program... :dodgy:

The DX error has dropped and no longer showing up when starting the CS extender. Yea

I do still get an repeatable error with the Knights set as active

Are errors like that something to worry about? Got to ask since I am setting up my system and going to back up all the games for future repair. Don't want some simple errors to creep in.

Edit

Creation Set Extender :blush: Lord help me. Asking for help and I can't even give the correct name of the program... :dodgy:

For Oblivion I've actually seen it labeled both Construction Set Extender and Construction Set Extended.

I use CS/CSE to denote the combined use of both the original Construction Set and Construction Set Extended add-on, and makes it much easier to add it to posts.

Skyrim may use some other label, no idea since I don't have it yet.

Hi, I was wondering about Wrye Bash version 295.5. I am currently in the process of attempting to mod Oblivion, but do I have to download Wrye Bash Python in order to continue? It does not seem like Wrye Bash Launcher works at the moment.

I haven't looked at that version but I believe it has what it needs inside it. I think the older versions somewhere around 280s had to have python installed to get it to work. could be wrong. Still working on my folders before moving to mods. In the end I will add the resources I am using from the kind guidance the posters here have given me so that others can see what is used and be able to find and install what they want. If 295 needs python I really need to know that..

Edit:

There seems to be a python version and an nonpython version... now I am confused.

You should be navigating to this source for Wrye Bash 295.5

You can also read there that there are two distinct versions, stand-alone (WBSA) and Python. For 99.999% of users the stand-alone version is the one to go with as it is the least technically challenging to install and get up and running.

Requirements and Installation

-----------------------------

Short version: just use the installer and install to the Oblivion folder! When you install dependencies, just install them to their default locations.

Long version: There are two versions available: the Python version and the Standalone version. They are functionally equivalent. Most people should run the Standalone version since it is slightly simpler (no external Python components to install). You should to install the Python version, however, if you want to be more involved with development or if you already have Python installed on your system for other reasons.

If you're using the Standalone version, the only thing you need to install manually is the MSVC++ 2008 redistributable at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyid=ba9257ca-337f-4b40-8c14-157cfdffee4e&displaylang=en

If you are using the Python version, dependency installation will be handled automatically by the installer. However, if you want or need to do things manually, the dependencies are:

- Python 2.7.3: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi

- wxPython 2.8.12.1 unicode for Python 2.7: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/files/wxPython/2.8.12.1/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.12.1-py27.exe

- comtypes 0.6.2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/comtypes/files/comtypes/0.6.2/comtypes-0.6.2.win32.exe/download

- PyWin32 for Python 2.7: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20218/pywin32-218.win32-py2.7.exe/download

Note that Python 3.x is explicitly NOT supported due to wxPython not having a Python 3.x version. Note also that the 32-bit versions are required even if you are on a 64-bit operating system.

For manual installations of either the Standalone or Python versions, extract the archive in your Oblivion game folder so that the Mopy directory appears in the Oblivion directory

- For Python versions, run by double-clicking on Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw

- For WBSA (Wrye Bash StandAlone), run by double-clicking on Wrye Bash.exe

Remember! In Windows Vista and up, don't install Oblivion in the Program Files folder due to User Access Controls!
Source: README, updated 2012-11-12

Archived