Alright, I made a stupid:

It's been awhile since I looked at the code that actually governs the determination of whether the spider is hungry or not. I've both been killed after three fails but also after as many as TEN fails. Here's why:

I know for a fact that the hard number of fails to reach was at some point three. However, somewhere during one of the updates (back in 2016 or '15) this changed and I forgot to document it:

After failing three times, a CHANCE for death begins to accrue, with the chance starting off small and then accumulating with each subsequent fail. It makes it fairly forgiving but it's still there and working, just not consistently for everyone. I MAY change that to be hard three again, or maybe there will just always be a chance from the very first fail. Let me know what you guys think.

Alright, I made a stupid:

It's been awhile since I looked at the code that actually governs the determination of whether the spider is hungry or not. I've both been killed after three fails but also after as many as TEN fails. Here's why:

I know for a fact that the hard number of fails to reach was at some point three. However, somewhere during one of the updates (back in 2016 or '15) this changed and I forgot to document it:

After failing three times, a CHANCE for death begins to accrue, with the chance starting off small and then accumulating with each subsequent fail. It makes it fairly forgiving but it's still there and working, just not consistently for everyone. I MAY change that to be hard three again, or maybe there will just always be a chance from the very first fail. Let me know what you guys think.

Hmm. Well I've noticed that there must be some variable ('x') to the number 'three'. So far everything works just fine.

But when the number is reached and the message shows up (spider grabs hold of it's victim and sinks it's fangs in) nothing happens... (guess I should die there) instead the dialog window opens again where I get the options to struggle, hold still and to kick and it seems that 'x' resets to zero and the whole process starts anew.

Is there anything that I might have done wrong when setting up DA or something? Should I maybe uncheck 'essential player' ?

Ö.Ö

Hi, I'm think I am having a possible issue with the mod. If I read the description correctly the spiders are just supposed to add more webs when they hit you when your entangled, correct? If it is, I got entangled and when the spiders attacked me they were killing me. And I ran into another issue that I think might just be a bug. When I selected the unequip gear option and was dragged off, the cocoon was also unequipped.

Hi there Kayzn, 

Joining the chorus to say I also made a LL account just so I could comment for this mod, because I really super dig the idea and I'm thrilled to see that it's still being worked on :D That said, I am experiencing some of the same issues that other users have reported; I've tested this stuff with both my higher level characters (lv. 23 and 38, which this mod did NOT play nice with; bugs galore, but that's more my own fault; I understand that Skyrim can get pretty wonky when you're running 30 different mods like I do), and some lower level characters (between 1-5). All the issues I'm about to mention were tested out with the lower level characters, because the mod just super did NOT want to work with the higher level ones. 

The main problem, which someone else already mentioned: When I deliberately screw up the escape enough that the spider decides it's ready to have itself a nice khajiit dinner, I get the message saying "the spider sinks its fangs into its prey" or w/e over a blackout screen... and then nothing really happens. I just reload to hanging upside down in the lair, with the spider standing there watching me and twitching its mandibles. Unlike what the other user is experiencing, though, I don't even get the "struggle/hold still/kick" menu box back. It just stays on that scene with my character dangling and the spider standing there. Maybe I misread and this is purposeful? IDK. For what it's worth, I do not have DA installed, so maybe that's my problem?

Second issue which I believe someone else also mentioned having: When I escape the lair entirely and get placed back to close to where I was captured, if the same spider is still alive, I get caught in an infinite loop of getting webbed, getting the message that I'm losing consciousness, fading to black... but then the lair doesn't load again. It just goes right back to the spider spitting at me and the process repeats infinitely every time I fail to escape and black out. 

Third issue, though this one is more of a nitpick that I don't necessarily expect to see fixed because the animation on this stuff is wonky in the vanilla game to begin with: the tails on khajiit and argonians always show up stuck outside of the cocoon and just kind of hang out there swaying like palm fronds in a hot summer breeze. What's worse, they point up in the air instead of dangling downwards, like you might expect them to do in normal gravity, lol. It's very silly looking. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about this. (Attaching a pic for context)

post-2002591-0-56765900-1495899067_thumb.jpg

Fourth... Issue? I guess it's more of a question or a request: Struggling to escape does not work at all with the gamepad, which is kind of disappointing for me because, though I play Skyrim on PC, I like to play with my laptop hooked up to the TV with HDMI and a 360 Controller wired in so I can still play from the couch. Not sure if there's something I can fix w/ that on my end or if it's just not programmed into the mod, or if there's any chance of that support being there in the future. I'm hoping it is, because I'd like to keep this mod installed but uh... that's probably not going to be feasible if I keep just getting stuck every time I get webbed because I can't input any struggle commands.

Lastly, just asking for clarification on something that was mentioned earlier: When you successfully escape the cocoon and can move freely about the spider lair, IS IT normal for there to be no spiders lurking around inside the cave waiting to jump you? I can't quite figure out what the correct behavior of the mod is here wrt that. Sometimes nothing shows up at all and I just run for the exit free and clear, other times I'll make a break for it and the captor spider will drop from the ceiling and web me up again. I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread but I couldn't quite figure out what the final word was on that. My reading comprehension is garbage sometimes.

Anyway, great work, and keep it up :D Honestly, I love the extra peril this adds to my game experience, frostbite spiders were so non-threatening before but now I can have actual consequences for not taking them more seriously, heh. If I could just get the gamepad support to work I'd be good to go.

It's been an unusually busy week but I think I'm settled for a bit. That said, some not-so-heartening news: I'm going to be away from my modding environment for a significant length of time spanning at least three months. Little to no updates will be able to pushed out at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I used the first version of your mod for a long time, and now I'm using a new one. He works for me. But I would like some options in the menu from the old one: moving to one of the many caves, stealing things, the presence of spiders in the den near or far. That would be fun.
Sorry for my bad english.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm not sure if this is a bug with the mod or my own incompetence, but I cannot seem to get the escape to work.

I press "wasd" and "dsaw" but in any instance there is absolutely 0 indication that the webbing is loosened.

I adjusted the difficulties of escaping to check and see if I was just unlucky, but even on the easiest possible setting, the button pressing seems to do nothing.  So, I'm not sure what's going on.  :P

• 1 month later...

I really like this mod but like some people I find it really difficult.  Having to press four keys is a bit tedious, when in addition they change directions randomly, pushing you back where you started.  Beeing put to the ground by a little spider also feels odd.  As I said, the idea is great but the difficulty of V2 + the new changes from V3 would be a great combination imo :)

• 1 month later...

It's been a long five months here in reality, and while there isn't much to show for it, for better or for worse, I have pseudo-reacquired and settled back in to my modding environment. Right now I'm trying to get caught up with all I've missed, both with Skyrim and other games. Then I'll have to looking at what does and doesn't work and try to get everything set back in order. I'm still here... barely hanging on, haha

It's been a long five months here in reality, and while there isn't much to show for it, for better or for worse, I have pseudo-reacquired and settled back in to my modding environment. Right now I'm trying to get caught up with all I've missed, both with Skyrim and other games. Then I'll have to looking at what does and doesn't work and try to get everything set back in order. I'm still here... barely hanging on, haha

Good to know you're still on the web...

I'll get my coat..... :P

welcome back!

thanks to a buddy of mine I managed to get your mod to function on SE. the only problem so far was that the spider never ate me. I guess this is because oldrim mods often have issues with counters and changing values in special edition.

It'd be an honour if I could help you with somehow making this fully functional for everyone playing special edition.

P.S. yes I also got ZaZ fully functional on SE thanks to that friends conversions.

I have yet to even install the special edition for the first time mainly because I've been waiting for my core must-have mods to make it over. At the same time, I'm also half-expecting those mods to never really make it over. Once I am happy enough with SE having enough mods, then I'll look at porting over, but until then, Oldrim still has what SE currently can't offer.

One idea has come to mind though I don't know whether it is possible to carry out it technically . To add effect of capture in a web to the static web placed in vaults. For example if just to fly on that web which needs to be broken weapon or magic to pass then you will get confused in it, and weapon can drop out of hands, and only the magic is safe option. I apologize for machine English.

• 1 month later...

I've tried working around this, but it seems I can't. Is there some way you can add controller support for this mod? You can't struggle without using the keyboard and you can't use the keyboard with a controller plugged in. I've tried working around it by getting a mod that allowed both controller and keyboard input, so that I can use the keyboard to struggle, but this did not work. 

Any kind of controller support, or work-around from someone would be appreciated.