Liberate Hjaalmarch bug?

TomahawkChop

well I decided just now to continue the liberation quest... and I am stuck at Hjaalmarch my problem is that it only says in the quest is Liberation of Hjaalmarch but when I try to check it on the map there is no symbol that shows where it should start..

I think I was about to do this quest when I decided to finish first the quest wherein you will kill Alduin...

anyone can help me what to do?

I also tried setstage cwmission03 10 but no luck.. still not sure if the problem is galmar or the quest itself

I ran into some bugs while doing this whole series as well. I ended up killing Alduin or rather riding Oda to fight him because the game seemed buggy while I held him captive in Dragonsreach. It was like it wanted me to do get at least one of them done before progressing. 

Wiki notes this: Hjaalmarch does not need to be liberated if it was given to the Stormcloaks during Season Unending

So, perhaps that may be the problem? I'd suggest talking with Ulfric or the Legate, Captain assigned for the Season Unending stuff. I didn't get all the quest markers updated on my map either at one point and only got to progress after speaking with the Legate and heading to Windhelm to conquer it. 

Also noted on UESP: 

After completing The Battle for Fort Sungard, return to Ulfric in Windhelm and speak to him. Ulfric thanks you for liberating the reach, and then gives you your new title of "Snow-Hammer" (unless you completed Season Unending) and a leveled shield. He then tells you to go to the Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp. Head to the camp and report in to Galmar as usual, he will tell you that you have to deliver some false orders to the imperial legate in Morthal, but first you will have to get some orders to be forged. He says the inns at Rorikstead and Dragon Bridge are frequent stops for imperial couriers. This starts the next quest A False Front.

After Completing A False Front, return to Galmar at the Hjaalmarch camp and report in. He will congratulate you give you some leveled gold, he will then tell you to meet the men preparing to attack Fort Snowhawk and to take it over, this will start the quest The Battle for Fort Snowhawk.

Also noted on UESP: 

After completing The Battle for Fort Sungard, return to Ulfric in Windhelm and speak to him. Ulfric thanks you for liberating the reach, and then gives you your new title of "Snow-Hammer" (unless you completed Season Unending) and a leveled shield. He then tells you to go to the Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp. Head to the camp and report in to Galmar as usual, he will tell you that you have to deliver some false orders to the imperial legate in Morthal, but first you will have to get some orders to be forged. He says the inns at Rorikstead and Dragon Bridge are frequent stops for imperial couriers. This starts the next quest A False Front.

After Completing A False Front, return to Galmar at the Hjaalmarch camp and report in. He will congratulate you give you some leveled gold, he will then tell you to meet the men preparing to attack Fort Snowhawk and to take it over, this will start the quest The Battle for Fort Snowhawk.

ok then let me try that :o wait but galmar is in windhelm.. hmm let me check again

I did go to Hjallmarch stormcloak camp but no luck galmar is not there

No.. well galmar is in windhelm castle.. and it says in the wiki if I finish the main quest.. I can continue it.. but no luck galmar has no reporting option.. all he says is hmm.. and when I ask ulric about "How is the war?" He is always saying we should get Hjaalmarch

I did go to the storm cloak camp there near my house(windstad manor) and no luck even the guy in there has no option when talking to him...

I am sure my quest should be "A False Front" but galmar is in windhelm.. he should be in the camp... : /

All that I can suggest to you at this point is do as I did and continue on with the Alduin quest line. Until I did that mine remained in limbo for "Season Unending". Unless of course you already have slain Alduin, in which case I do not know what else I could advise. 

As I mentioned, I had bugs until I completed killing Alduin. Legate Rikke and General Tullius would not talk with me. General Tullius kept repeating he'd go to the meeting up in Hrothgar and that even bugged once and I had to use codes to push the quest forward. After defeating Alduin, I went back to Rikke and Tullius, the quest moved forward. But right at the last hold being taken, nothing updated. I spent hours trying to resolve it, even reloading and doing it twice to have the same result. Finally I went to Rikke and she said something like "Lets head out for battle" still nothing updated. However, once reaching Windhelm, Tullius was there and it continued on its own. Everything afterwards updated accordingly. 

Perhaps you are in a similar situation. Have you gone to Hjaalmarch to see if anything is there? Another question would be, are you running the official patches and unofficial patches? They fix a lot of bugs that revolved around these quests. 

Note that the only reason I listed my play through as I did was because I sided with the Imperials. If you are a Stormcloak faction character, you'll likely be reliant upon Ulfric and Galmar to continue your quest. However, during "Season Unending" I would assume there is a form of a Commanding Officer out in the field at one of the Stormcloak outposts designating orders and strategic attacks on holds currently under Imperial forces. 

Be sure you double check your quest log and ensure quests are activated even under Miscellaneous quests in case something got bugged in your list. 

well there is a bug quest in my list but not sure it is connected it is the Bring [...] to Calcemo something like that..

and I did go to solitude.. General Tillius is talking about whiterun... that the jarl doesnt want any help from the imperials.. but whiterun is already conquered by stormcloaks...

so my quest is messed up so bad now.. that I cant continue it anymore.. : /

I also noticed when I checked the maps..(strategy maps that locates the forts... white run is still in imperial but.. it is already on storm cloaks...)..

zz skyrim full of quest bugs orz

How far along are you in the Civil War? What was the previous quest you completed? 

Also, this is listed on the bugs.

Bugs
  • Sometimes you cannot say "Reporting in." to Galmar at the Stormcloak camps and therefore cannot advance the quest.
    • Simply reload a previous save. If that doesn't work, attack him until he collapses, then sheathe your weapons. This may work, although you will get a bounty.
    • Move to another location, rest/wait until the camp respawns and return.
  • Sometimes when trying to report to Ulfric Stormcloak, you are unable to talk to him and can't advance further in the quest.
    • Pc22.png Use the console to select Ulfric, disable him, then enable him again.

This next list also shows an order of quests in that sequence. If you already complete Whiterun before Hjaalmarch maybe that is an issue? Do you have a previous save to use prior?

(Displayed as each hold becomes the new target)

Objective 102: Liberate Haafingar
Objective 202: Liberate the Reach
Objective 302: Liberate Hjaalmarch
Objective 402: Liberate Whiterun Hold
Objective 502: Liberate Falkreath Hold
Objective 602: Liberate the Pale
Objective 702: Liberate Winterhold Hold
Objective 902: Liberate the Rift

Did you try the bug fixes I listed? Did you try smacking Galmar with your boom stick? Attack him once then see what he says. Or go sleep in Windhelm somewhere and then go back to him. Otherwise, I haven't found anything else around your exact bug. Most people say Galmar won't even speak to them. 

Well, I am sure that my quest should start at the camp but galmar is in the castle...

I did try attacking him.. and yet I dun get any bounty.. though attacking him 20x made me get 40 bounty but after that still the same.. no reporting in..

I did summon all types of galmar and yet still no luck...

I did check the player.sqs cwmission03 all stage are 0 even if I setstage cwmission03 nothing happens...

and.. ok gonna try that sleep in windhelm... :/

Sorry you are having so much trouble with it and nothing seems to work that was recommended. In order to setstage to a segment of the quest I believe you have to put something like "setstage cwmission03 to 500" or something. I don't know what next code you need though. 

I still find it very strange that you have liberated Whiterun before you liberated Hjaalmarch. The wiki says Hjaalmarch is supposed to be first and Whiterun isn't until after the Pale and The Rift. List out what quests you do have in your quest log for me. Doesn't need to be every quest, just list out those that may have significance to the civil war. 

Van

That sounds like a mod issue. I have no idea what your setup is, what mod utility you are using so I can't much help with that. You may want to post a new topic in the Tech support forum and list your entire load order and what mod utility you are using. I can certainly try to help. If you are using a separate profile preset, as in MO you may not have all of the hair and eye mods ticked. 

Archived