Detailed HDT hair physics tutorials?

DIYDeath

Hi all, I'm here to request something fairly practical:

Tutorials or a step-by-step guide on modifying existing hairs (already have a esm, meshes and so forth) to use the HDT plugin.

I am a noob at 3dsmax, I won't lie but I do catch on quickly and have some basic modding knowledge from my wc3 modding days so I need people to use small words with as few syllables as possible. :P

I know Canderer has some tutorials but they're tutorials for advanced users who know what the hell he's doing to begin with. I'm not one of those people so I find his tutorials frustrating, I need to see where he's clicking, what he's starting up and what options are being used. The moment he uses a shortcut I feel like screaming at the monitor in hopes that he'll stop and show me the long way before using the shortcuts again.

I'm not asking for anyone to do the work for me, I need to learn this. What I'm asking for is a guide to help me accomplish this specific task:

Take a mod called "my type of hair" and edit a hair style in the mod to use the HDT plugin.

If that works I'll be looking into ways to add collision to the quiver and potentially cloak to minimize clipping (I mention this because I need to get a gauge for how difficult this process will be and if its something within my grasp, I fully intend to take baby steps 1st).

Please help a noob become competent, I'm lost without help, utterly lost...

Well, hello. First of all, managing yourself with max (and also niftools) is a task that you will accomplish with time, but you can find basic tutorials online, and also bundled with 3ds. This should give you the know-how needed to at least be able to follow Candere's tutorials.

That said, I've been tampering with HDT hair for some days now, and I'm considering the creation of a step by step written tutorial for the process as soon as I get some definitive results.

On the other hand, I'm aware that there is some kind of third party software in development to ease the process of adding the HDT constrained ragdoll physics data to meshes. The long and somewhat tedious process is, however, all we have now, and that's why I'm trying to streamline the process all that's possible.

Well, hello. First of all, managing yourself with max (and also niftools) is a task that you will accomplish with time, but you can find basic tutorials online, and also bundled with 3ds. This should give you the know-how needed to at least be able to follow Candere's tutorials.

That said, I've been tampering with HDT hair for some days now, and I'm considering the creation of a step by step written tutorial for the process as soon as I get some definitive results.

On the other hand, I'm aware that there is some kind of third party software in development to ease the process of adding the HDT constrained ragdoll physics data to meshes. The long and somewhat tedious process is, however, all we have now, and that's why I'm trying to streamline the process all that's possible.

You, sir, would be amazing for this. I'm taking the time to learn the tools to do this, because rigging and such looks pretty easy. Its just the lack of knowledge on my part which comes from complete inexperience with 3dsmax.

I've also heard that custom rigs are the only way to go in terms of quality results, would your algorithm completely automate the process or would the user still have control over where the bones are placed? 

You, sir, would be amazing for this. I'm taking the time to learn the tools to do this, because rigging and such looks pretty easy. Its just the lack of knowledge on my part which comes from complete inexperience with 3dsmax.

I've also heard that custom rigs are the only way to go in terms of quality results, would your algorithm completely automate the process or would the user still have control over where the bones are placed? 

Rigging, easy? Meh..., tiresome?  YES

But I should tell you that the difficulty of rigging is based on: How it will deform, how many bones you have and the model's topology. So if you are starting, dont go crazy adding bones or your rigging will turn into a nightmare just after you press the "Edit Envelopes" button.

Anyway, back to your question, you will have to place the bones and then the script will do the tiresome part which is adding the nubs, the constraints and aligning them (for what I've seen at the moment it only covers the Ragdoll constraint) it also creates the rigid bodies (capsules) and sets their properties to any values you want. (mass, damping, limits).

So, in a few words, it will make your job easier, but you will still have to know each parameter to decide which constraint suits your needs and which values are going to be better for them.

Yeah, no magic for the rigging part, sorry ;p

But if you're starting or just are a lazy ass like me, work with envelopes, they do the job (almost) nicely. This way you can also translate your skin modifier to very similar meshes that use the same bones (like vanilla fem hair01 and hair02).

Anyway, seeing how things are progressing, I'll probably do a video to show the features of my scripts, which will be a semi-tutorial, and then I'll do the written one.

Envelopes are fine when the skeleton isn't distorted. I'd always meant to go back and edit the envelope start/endpoints so they overlap on the child/parent pivot points. The figment plugins have the envelope end at the parent and the start on the same x/y points as the parent but z has been translated away from the joint. I am going to see if I can learn enough to fix the bone scale/axis conversion the importer has, but it is likely to take a while. I'm hoping to make these xmls a separate issue so that we can import skeletons and constraints directly from the xml instead of trying to rebuild using partial data from a nif.

You could also transform all your rigid bodies into a single mesh, rig that mesh to your bones. And then, pick your original model, add a skin wrap modifier and pick the mesh you did using the rigid bodies. You will still have to do some blending, but you'll have a nice starting point.

• 4 months later...

Life became a bit busy but I'm back and I'm still looking at doing this project.

Problem is...I forgot the stuff I need to do this, lol.

I have my 3ds max

I have my scripts

I feel like I'm missing some tools though.

Can someone help me out by telling me exactly which tools I'll be needing for this, I have a feeling I can follow the tutorial a bit better now, I've been cramming on computer knowledge for the last 5 months.

Archived