Skyrim on (discount) sale in the UK

Symon

Not sure what it means though.

I went into town today, as I am on holiday now as I am doing the Xmas cover for work. I popped into Game and saw that Skyrim was on sale.

PC, 25 sterling instead of 35.

Console, 33 sterling instead of 45.

Had a chat with the staff. The ones that bought it at release are spitting feathers. Word came down from on high to reprice it. Customers are coming in furious as well apparently.

Now whether this is the pre-xmas UK sale panic or poor after release sales, I don't know. Word is spreading that the game can be seriously problematic though, which doesn't help. Visions of Daggerfall come to me (which I declined to buy too).

reading posts around here this should not come as surprise. do keep in mind, if bethesda is losing sales because everyone is holding back and not buying the game, ultimately they will be driven only to consoles, so no more pc in the future so way to go..

Well i did buy the game at full price if it is already diminishing so rapidly This will piss off even more customer.. So buy diminishing the price so rapidly, they are admitting, the game did not do to good as they hoped..

Good points, but Beth have already moved to consoles I think. No CS release and, let's be honest here, I wouldn't bet money it'll be available in January.

The more I think of it, the more I think of Daggerfall. Lots of pre-game hype. Copies everywhere, and then the news hit that it was bugged beyond belief and the first patches weren't helping. Sales then collapsed as everyone waited for 'The Patch' before they'd commit to buy. I know that as a result, I never bought it. (Only got the game when Beth made it available for free download). I do remember seeing many copies of it everywhere, just like Skyrim this last month.

Skyrim may not be as buggy as Daggerfall was on initial release, but the patches don't seem to be helping much yet. I do wonder if there was an initial sales spike (pre-orders/firm buy ins) but that things have since not gone so well.

I'm unsure as to how much articles like: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/19/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-is-uk-christmas-number-one/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0 entail bias, but I was under the distinct impression that Skyrim was doing quite well in sales. Lowering the price during the year's largest buying spree might be a way to give it an edge on its similarly priced competitors.

While I don't contest Skyrim's buggy nature, I wouldn't expect to see this one at the 20 USD mark anytime soon.

Note: the article is pc sales only.

I'm unsure as to how much articles like: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/19/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-is-uk-christmas-number-one/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0 entail bias' date=' but I was under the distinct impression that Skyrim was doing quite well in sales.[/quote']

I think Bethesda said they have shipped 10 million copies which are very impressive numbers that very few developers can claim these days and as you mentioned, it earned the Christmas number 1 spot here in the UK.

As a Brit, it's worth mentioning that for the past few years the prices of games have been extremely volatile here due to strong competition from supermarkets and online stores, often rapidly dropping just weeks after release. It's not unknown for gamers in mainland Europe to order games from UK stores because our prices can get very low, very quickly.

With just a few days till Christmas, it wouldn't surprise me that this situation is exacerbated further as retail stores are pretty desperate to get people spending money at the minute due to financial fears.

In other words this news doesn't really shock me, it's pretty much par for the course here. :P

Archived