weird problem with laptop and windows 7

D_ManXX2

This is really weird not sure what caused it but this laptop is an amd dual core. 64 bit machine,but somehow msconfig seem to set it to 1 core and then wndows 7 won't boot up, i go into safemode msconfig and check advanced tab and the core is thinked to 1 core, i deselect it and my pc boots up again, but what could cause the core setting to reset itself back to 1 core in msconfig ??

I never seen anything like this.

no it is correct but something had reset it back into single core in msconfig.and it wasn't me witch was what was bugging me.

And if i switch my pc off and the option resets and my pc won't boot up. could faulty batteries cause anything like this ?? i have not change batteries this laptop is now about 7 years old. and it only started to acting up now.

not always witch is what making this puzzling. like my machine has a mind of it's own. And i never seen anything like this.

One moment it is fine and the next my pc won't boot up and freezes at windows logo and forces me to go back into safe mode only to have this put back into single core.

Have you looked the number of cores in the BIOS ?

There is a *ACC* on the motherboard? maybe lost  settings...

Or one core overheats, clogged cooling system or CPU power phases are not fully working ...

There may be a lot of problems.

Not to accuse you of anything, but is your copy of windows genuine? Microsoft put a bunch of performance degrading things into it starting with Vista (or maybe it was xp?) for non-genuine versions, rather than disabling the OS, and this might be one of them. Could be some kind of malware as well.

Guest airdance

........ Could be some kind of malware as well.

It could be but it could also be a sign of a defective battery as well as faulty flash memory chip.

Some boards are manufactured with less than stellar components.  

A seven year old unit could be using the onboard battery backup of your boot up data.

These batteries look like a button or a coin. although rated for ten years many have failed in as little as two years.

Malware could act like that, but generally it sticks to more invasive things like rearranging your boot order, or forcing a link to other computers whenever you go online.

........ Could be some kind of malware as well.

It could be but it could also be a sign of a defective battery as well as faulty flash memory chip.

Some boards are manufactured with less than stellar components.  

A seven year old unit could be using the onboard battery backup of your boot up data.

These batteries look like a button or a coin. although rated for ten years many have failed in as little as two years.

All that battery does is ave CMOS/BIOS settings and keep the RTC up to date. It has nothing to do with windows boot settings. If it had failed or was failing, the clock would be set to the wrong time on every boot, and the boot order in the BIOS would change. It would not affect windows boot settings stored in the boot.ini file.

This is really weird not sure what caused it but this laptop is an amd dual core. 64 bit machine,but somehow msconfig seem to set it to 1 core and then wndows 7 won't boot up, i go into safemode msconfig and check advanced tab and the core is thinked to 1 core, i deselect it and my pc boots up again, but what could cause the core setting to reset itself back to 1 core in msconfig ??

I never seen anything like this.

Can you tell us what's the specs of your laptop?

Also, laptops do have to park their CPU cores by default to save battery power. 

Came across this days ago:

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1757442/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility-safe.html

Caveats apply.

Archived