Installing Skyrim without the DLCs

Kendo 2

If you don't want to do that just disable Dawnguard under Data Files in the launcher or use Bash to disable it.

The DLC are just plugins like any other mod. Sadly you have to download it all and then remove the files.

I would just uncheck them just in guess Skyrim starts to act odd, however if you truely wish to delete them do the following.

Just go into the install location and delete these filesl:

Dawnguard.esm

Dawnguard.bsa

That should do the trick  :)

Guest Ragna_Rok

you can also go to the launcher and uncheck them. so like that ... well, its like you would turn off a mod, like that you can easily go back if you change your mind.... *cheers* :)

(skyrim launcher --> data files --> uncheck)

On my old install I tried both of those methods and the game would CDT on load.  That being said I was using the same character I had from day 1 of game release before all of the patches and DLCs.  That MIGHT have been the issue, but i got so disgusted with the game I just deleted it.  Now I'm going to give it another try.  Thank you both for the input and I'll try disabling/deleting again.   :)

Kendo2 I have disabled the DLC's when testing and playing to see what was added to the game and the changes it makes. So long as I didn't use  any character that was used during a DLC play I had no problems.  It seems that there is data added to the save r/t the DLC and most mods now... Shame. Old games FNV etc you can remove most mods and not have a problem.

You won't be able to load a existing character if you disable the expansion though. Due to the amount of content it removes, it will most likely crash.

No worries there.  I deleted EVERYTHING.  The game, my saves, the mods I made...ALL OF IT.

Kendo2 I have disabled the DLC's when testing and playing to see what was added to the game and the changes it makes. So long as I didn't use  any character that was used during a DLC play I had no problems.  It seems that there is data added to the save r/t the DLC and most mods now... Shame. Old games FNV etc you can remove most mods and not have a problem.

Yeah, Skyrim never did match up to the hype and once I started modding it I saw what was done in the game mechanics and I quickly lost interest.  I guess that is why I still like FO3 and NV.

Yeah, Skyrim never did match up to the hype and once I started modding it I saw what was done in the game mechanics and I quickly lost interest.  I guess that is why I still like FO3 and NV.

I would like F03 and FNV regardless of any mechanics or other things. The game mechanics help refresh the game plays which makes it possible to play it more than I would otherwise.

Even tho i share your oppinion, there's a big modding scene that evolved around all Bethesda games since TES III, so there are mods that make Skyrim what it should have been right from the start. it's somehow like FO:NV, with it's dull world, 2 dimensional NPCs and fake main quest/story.

So i recommend you give some mods a try, aside from the well known cosmetical mods, which add what has been missing and extend the world with new locations, landmass, quests and finally interessting NPCs. Small mods like "The Paarthurnax Dilemma" or bigger ones like "The Aldmeri Domain - Fight Against the Thalmor" or "interessting NPCs" for example.

I played some Skyrim today for the first time in over a year.  I haven't been missing anything.  The game is a joke.  Going back to the Wasteland!

It's not that bad, man. I absolutely LOVED Oblivion, FO3 and FNV.....but I think Skyrim is still a better game in many ways. I still play those older ones, too, and even have Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, FNV and Skryim all on this machine (and most of those for XBox as well. The physics and mechanics in Skyrim are far better and smoother flowing. Visually it's head and shoulders above the older engine. It's even more free roaming than it's predecessors, too. The only thing I feel it's missing (compared to Oblivion) is more room to experiment with weapon enchantments and spell making.....I miss those.

You just need to get into it and grow into it I guess. :D It really is a great game and the scope is just massive overall.

When the new Fallout is released it'll probably be on the Skyrim engine, so getting used to it now would be wise. ;) Plus the shooting mechanics will be much better than it was in the last two releases.

Archived