SLAL animation selection

When I installed SLAL a few years back I quickly ran into the SL animation registry limit.

Turning categories on/off quickly became tedious and limiting, so I went and modified my json files... deleting unwanted animations.

Is this normal/common practice? Or did I have better options?

Now, as I am working on my mod, I am finding that I want to insulate myself from this, so my mod accesses directly the underlying MO2 directories to search through the original json files (with ../../mods/<slal_anim_mod>/SLAnims/json/*.json).  This will off course not work with Vortex or other mod managers.

As it stands, my mod depends on SLAL animation packages but does not use SLAL to register the animations.  It uses the SLAL-provided json files, but uses a different registration process that bypasses SLAL and its feeding the SL registry.  This allows the mod to ignore the SL registry limit of 500 registered animations and frees the SL registry to service other mods.  However, the current implementation only works for MO2 users who have the exact same versions of the SLAL animation packages installed under the same name as me.  Not an acceptable situation for my eventual mod users.

6 minutes ago, pfB6cs said:

Is this normal/common practice? Or did I have better options?

Used to be semi-common, but now there's files that increase the animation limits.

This increases it to 2000 for instance.

Note that this will increase the time it takes for scenes to start, but the degree of effect varies from user to user, so it may not be an issue.

Hmm... I had searched for an LE version and not found it.  But I now see that it does exist.

Thanks for the pointer.

25 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

Note that this will increase the time it takes for scenes to start, but the degree of effect varies from user to user, so it may not be an issue.

Not an issue for my mod, since I use a different method for selecting animations that bypasses the SL registry altogether.  I just need the SLAL json files to be available and intact.