Ortus - The RPG of your Dreams

JimThermic

Hmm' date=' can't say I've ever had that problem with readers/players before - probably because I usually deconstruct the story backwards from what would be considered spoilers then think of what their typical assumptions would be. Then I encourage (or at least don't discourage) thinking along the lines of these false assumptions, while still keeping true to the story lore and probability. This usually increases the shock-factor when an aspect of the plot is revealed.

But really, I probably never think as deep as that when writing. Usually I only think as deep as 'hey, this would be neat, probable and probably unexpected'. It's worked so far at least. If I constantly made the obvious the least likely, that too would become a cliche.

[/quote']

It's not necessarily a problem, it's an interest that people develop in your lore. Like some of the crackpot conspiracies people have drawn from my works (like the central antagonist isn't really real, just a figment in the mind of a disgraced soldier looking for a moment of glory). When people become invested in your world they look for hidden nuggets of knowledge or plot whenever you present a new place or character. No matter how you maintain a dynamic, they'll look at the stuff you don't explain in great detail and draw their own conclusions from this lack of information. Generally these are tiny details in the lore, which you rarely acknowledge as anything more than a bridge between a then and now.

The best thing I've learned is to let the reader be as ill-rational as they want while maintaining your stone-road of plot and character. If they happen to link two characters in this grand conspiracy of power and control, I take that as a queue. That doesn't mean it'll automatically be added, but it really allows me to pull some epic "Oh sweet Jesus Titty-Cinnamon..." moments with the reader's mind.

The screenshots are a faithful throwback to the rpgs of yore. And the conversation screenshot hints at some delicious, snide remarks. If there's anything I love being in a video game is Deadpool-inspired troll-faced smartass.

• 2 weeks later...

Last 2 days for kickstarter donations. We're currently at 17k of 20k, almost there.

Game will still be made even if the goal is not reached, but thought I should post for those interested in the rewards. :)

Will post more updates to this forum when there's some more development screenies and stuff to show.

EDIT: Made 20k! Thank you everyone! :D :D

Archived