Merging KW animation mods?

I've started migrating my modding setup to Sims 3 Mod Organizer which ultimately merges all of the packages managed by it. Then I got to my KW animation mods and realized if these get merged into a giant package then how do animations get registered via KW's in-game menu? I suppose if the animations were already registered then it wouldn't matter, but I could see this being a problem when animation packs get updated, or if you're adding a new pack. So do people typically just exclude animation packs from merges?

Edited by Omicr0n

I suspect that registering packages would work just fine even if they are merged. I *think* that registering the mods actually looks for a resource inside the package with the registration string, and the actual file name doesn't matter at all.

You could easily test that out by removing one of the registrations, and then rename the two files for that animation set to something else, and try to re-register them. If it doesn't work, you can easily rename the two files back to the original names. If it does work, feel free to merge them all.

I am not familiar with that tool. I use a (really old) tool called CCMagic, which merges packages, too. I typically only put non-mod stuff (build mode, buy mode, e.g.) in there, and keep all my mods separate. There is no reason that (most) mods won't work when merged. But, for me, it makes it easier to update mods when new versions of them come out. Several of the animation packages haven't been updated in a long time, and might not ever see an update, but several of them still get regular updates, so I just keep all that stuff separate. Using that Mod Organizer might be easier to find stuff that needs to be updated than CCMagic is.

With CCMagic, I have stuff divided up into related categories. E.g., female clothing - tops, female clothing - bottoms, female clothing- body, etc. Different accessory categories, stuff for building, vehicles, and so on. Unfortunately, it is a pain to find anything in it. You can filter the exact category you are looking at, but if what you want is in a different folder, you have to look through pretty much every folder until you find it.

12 hours ago, FreakyRufus said:

I suspect that registering packages would work just fine even if they are merged. I *think* that registering the mods actually looks for a resource inside the package with the registration string, and the actual file name doesn't matter at all.

You could easily test that out by removing one of the registrations, and then rename the two files for that animation set to something else, and try to re-register them. If it doesn't work, you can easily rename the two files back to the original names. If it does work, feel free to merge them all.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Whether it's the actual filename of the package that's being given during registration or whether it's just a string from somewhere in the package. I'll have to do some experimenting and see what happens.

12 hours ago, FreakyRufus said:

I am not familiar with that tool. I use a (really old) tool called CCMagic, which merges packages, too. I typically only put non-mod stuff (build mode, buy mode, e.g.) in there, and keep all my mods separate. There is no reason that (most) mods won't work when merged. But, for me, it makes it easier to update mods when new versions of them come out. Several of the animation packages haven't been updated in a long time, and might not ever see an update, but several of them still get regular updates, so I just keep all that stuff separate. Using that Mod Organizer might be easier to find stuff that needs to be updated than CCMagic is.

With CCMagic, I have stuff divided up into related categories. E.g., female clothing - tops, female clothing - bottoms, female clothing- body, etc. Different accessory categories, stuff for building, vehicles, and so on. Unfortunately, it is a pain to find anything in it. You can filter the exact category you are looking at, but if what you want is in a different folder, you have to look through pretty much every folder until you find it.

I had never used CCMagic, or any other merging tools beyond using S3PE to merge some packages once or twice, so it was easy for me to just jump straight in with Sims 3 Mod Organizer since my mods weren't all that organized to begin with, and I was already familiar with Mod Organizer 2 from modding Skyrim and Fallout 4. From what I've heard it seems like it's a lot easier to keep your files organized and update them as necessary with S3MO compared with CCMagic.

Here's a small portion of what my mods folder looks like that's being managed by S3MO. Everything is named, but it's just sorted in alphabetical order:

Spoiler

folder.jpg.ad64c6e2e85a8456f8ffdca0f8cdfe6b.jpg

But in the actual mod organizer you can reorder everything however you want to set the load order to pick the conflict winners:

Spoiler

s3mo.thumb.jpg.a00397af7e96afef1d274c1b8b51e3d6.jpg

S3MO is far from perfect. It's definitely a bit buggy and has some quirks, but once you get used to those it seems like a nice way to manage everything, especially if you're already familiar with MO2. I'm still in the middle of migrating to it, so I haven't done much in-game testing after merging everything yet beyond just loading up my save just to see if it would actually load.

Edited by Omicr0n
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 2:27 PM, Omicr0n said:

I've started migrating my modding setup to Sims 3 Mod Organizer which ultimately merges all of the packages managed by it. Then I got to my KW animation mods and realized if these get merged into a giant package then how do animations get registered via KW's in-game menu? I suppose if the animations were already registered then it wouldn't matter, but I could see this being a problem when animation packs get updated, or if you're adding a new pack. So do people typically just exclude animation packs from merges?

FreakyRufus is correct, the key is the IID of the _XML resource normally found in the OKW package, you can do a simple test, in s3pe in Tools -> FNV Hash paste KW_Amra72_Animations into Text and calculate the FNV64 hash which is 0xBD2A3CB73182470E, if you open the OKW_Amra72_Animations.package you will see this is the IID of the _XML resource.

It is not possible to load packages dynamically from mods, all packages are loaded and validated when the game starts (the loading screen before the main menu).

I have all animations and props merged into a single package.

5 minutes ago, Denton47 said:

FreakyRufus is correct, the key is the IID of the _XML resource normally found in the OKW package, you can do a simple test, in s3pe in Tools -> FNV Hash paste KW_Amra72_Animations into Text and calculate the FNV64 hash which is 0xBD2A3CB73182470E, if you open the OKW_Amra72_Animations.package you will see this is the IID of the _XML resource.

It is not possible to load packages dynamically from mods, all packages are loaded and validated when the game starts (the loading screen before the main menu).

I have all animations and props merged into a single package.

Good to know. I did try un-registering and re-registering an animation pack that I had already merged and there didn't seem to be any issues, but this info saves me from doing any more testing to confirm.