I need a guide to help me set up SE/AE and I don't mean STEP

After repeated failure of trying to get my old LE setup to work, I caved, I bought SE (apparently AE now) and have been attempting to follow STEP to set it up. Only now do I discover that SE is a thousand times more technically complex. I barely understand the guide. to top it all off, my still unmodded and freshly purchased AE/SE is having CTD in the first mission. Isn't this thing supposed to be "more stable"?

So I've learned I need to downgrade from AE to SE or most mods won't work.

Several mods also require this Address Library mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32444) which I simply do not understand.

So many things involved with SE I do not understand.

What I'm asking for is if, one person would be so kind, as to get on a discord with my friend and walk him through setting this up for me sometime next weekend.

Alternatively if someone could give me a detailed step by step guide in plain english and with minimal technical jargon. As soon as it is required for me to type any sort of programming language, my brain is dead. I can install tools, I can run tools. I can install mods. I can run mods. I know a tiny bit about .ini editing. I cannot do all this fancy editing of .xml files, or typing specific commands into tools without someone to almost literally hold my end and guide me through click by click. I know absolute 0 things about programming.

I'm getting very depressed about how little I'm able to get things working again. I just want to go back to playing skyrim and having fun. I can't even get vanilla SE to run apparently.

10 minutes ago, Aki K said:

So I've learned I need to downgrade from AE to SE or most mods won't work.

Not really. You're only downgrading the executable version. AE and SE are inaccurate terms to refer to it (basically it's the same game and files but in different patch versions). But it always help to be certain of which executable version you have installed to get compatible SKSE and SKSE related mods versions. And honestly that's the start and end of all the SE technical complexities. You learn to check the version of your exe, you keep that number in mind and refer to it whenever you find a mod with a dll. Tools, mods, loadorder and such are pretty much the same (except that SE has light-plugins so you can go above the 255 plugin limit from LE).

Several mods also require this Address Library mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32444) which I simply do not understand.

It's a requirement, if you don't want to get technical, don't. You install it. Mods use it. You don't have to do anything else nor understand how.

There are a few guides already in the pinned thread for guides (mine included, which covers the basics to get the SL framework working using MO2).

I'm getting very depressed about how little I'm able to get things working again. I just want to go back to playing skyrim and having fun. I can't even get vanilla SE to run apparently.

How? Leaving out the details about your issue isn't conductive to a solution.

Edited by Just Don't
30 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

How? Leaving out the details about your issue isn't conductive to a solution.

Allow me to give the background to explain:

I had LE working perfectly. But my computer fans died. Got them replaced but it tripped bitlocker and everything was reformatted. I tried to install LE again, I wanted to do everything exactly the same. But kept getting CTD despite it being the exact same hardware (new fans aside) and exact same mods. I was not able to get reliable help or figure out the cause of the CTD. Some people tried but not enough people stuck with me and so I ended up getting conflicting responses, and the most common response was "get SE."

I have just purchased SE. Downloaded SE from Steam. Unmodded entirely, no tools, no file alteration, literally nothing but having the game on steam. I ran it, and about halfway through the unbound mission...CTD. And I'm told this version is "more stable"? I don't even have anyway to diagnose a CTD on an unmodded game as far as I know.

30 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Not really. You're only downgrading the executable version.

I don't know what this means nor how to do it.

There are a few guides already in the pinned thread for guides (mine included, which covers the basics to get the SL framework working using MO2).

I'm not even up to SL framework yet. Game is still unmodded. I need to get things stable and then stable with the standard mods (Skyui, SKSE, FNIS or equivalent, etc)  Only after that will I be ready to start implementing SL framework. I haven't even been able to start though as explained above.

Edited by Aki K

Unmodded game so has the expected bugs. Get the unofficial patch at least. If you're playing above 60 FPS you'll likely crash or break the intro because the game engine isn't prepared to handle physics above that 60 FPS. There are mods to fix this (like SSE Display Tweaks), but a good practice like locking your FPS is already a better start than doing nothing. "More stable", yes, or maybe, not really. Depends on your system and how well you know your hardware. Make sure your pc meets the system requirements and if you really want to see what's going on with your game as you play get a 3rd party software to monitor resource usage while you play. Maybe you're too tight on RAM, or your CPU is reaching high temps, or whatever. You didn't mention system specs so can't say much.

34 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Some people tried but not enough people stuck with me and so I ended up getting conflicting responses, and the most common response was "get SE."

Your game, your time. I would never expect others to put up with my mess really. You can always ask for help and most of the times get some info, but how you act on that it's entirely up to you.

34 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I don't know what this means nor how to do it.

If you google "how to downgrade skyrim se" you should get an idea. If you still don't know what it means then maybe don't do it. Like I said it's not necessary, especially if you're starting from scratch and can't even get the game itself to run.

Edited by Just Don't
33 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Unmodded game so has the expected bugs. Get the unofficial patch at least. If you're playing above 60 FPS you'll likely crash or break the intro because the game engine isn't prepared to handle physics above that 60 FPS. There are mods to fix this (like SSE Display Tweaks), but a good practice like locking your FPS is already a better start than doing nothing. "More stable", yes, or maybe, not really. Depends on your system and how well you know your hardware. Make sure your pc meets the system requirements and if you really want to see what's going on with your game as you play get a 3rd party software to monitor resource usage while you play. Maybe you're too tight on RAM, or your CPU is reaching high temps, or whatever. You didn't mention system specs so can't say much.

If you google "how to downgrade skyrim se" you should get an idea. If you still don't know what it means then maybe don't do it. Like I said it's not necessary, especially if you're starting from scratch and can't even get the game itself to run.

Ram should be more or less open and available because this is a fresh install. Few programs to take up ram. Fans are freshly replaced so definetly not heating issues. Coolest this computer has ever been.

33 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Your game, your time. I would never expect others to put up with my mess really. You can always ask for help and most of the times get some info, but how you act on that it's entirely up to you.

Really I just need some consistent help from someone. A big problem is that a lot of people give me conflicting views on how certain things are done. Someone gave me the impression that a downgrade was necessary, you are suggesting to me it is not.

How do I lock FPS? Is that locking it in the Nvidia control panel for example?

EDIT: Used VRamsizertest DX9: It says I have 8256 (Mb). That's with brave running in the background (if that makes a difference).

The DX11 version said 58080 Mb.

I'm not sure which of the two versions to use for modding/enb purposes.

Edited by Aki K
14 minutes ago, Fotogen said:

It says to download something directly but there is no link, I don't know what I'm looking for, nor how to install it. This just talks about strings of numbers and I don't know what it means. Ex: "Nvm, 48930 was just missing an 8! (489830)"

I have stated many times, my tech skills are low.

Most of what I'm seeing here (if I am reading this correctly) appears to be suggesting piracy of the old SE to be the option. I'm not willing to do that.

41 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Really I just need some consistent help from someone. A big problem is that a lot of people give me conflicting views on how certain things are done. Someone gave me the impression that a downgrade was necessary, you are suggesting to me it is not.

Downgrade depends on what mods you are intending to install, all you need to do is make sure that they are for 1.6.1170 and you should be good, at present there are only a few that have not been updated for it.

As for nvida, you should be able to start nvidia control panel, from there select manage 3d settings, select the tab program settings, then select skyrim, though for me it tends to be buggy as hell if it even shows skyrim, but you can also choose to add, it will then pop up a in effect browser, where you can scroll down till you find skyrim, if you hover over the icon it will show the path, pick the right one, you can sometimes find multiples of the same one present, from there scroll down the specify settings for this program till you find the max frame rate, chances are it will be set to use global settings, hit the drop down option next to it, and it should then give three radio buttons, one will be use global settings, off or on, with a slider bar to set the value and a box at the end which you should be able to enter a value straight into, set it at 58 or 60 whichever you prefer, then hit ok, that should then do it.  Not sure if you would need ini file edits doing this or not though.

Edited by Varithina
42 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Ram should be more or less open and available because this is a fresh install. Few programs to take up ram. Fans are freshly replaced so definetly not heating issues. Coolest this computer has ever been.

Without actually checking the numbers you can only guess. If you want to keep going without checking that's up to you. From the numbers you mention later I think your pc is fine, but only you really know.

Because this is mostly personal preference. For some people it's needed or desirable to get an old version of the game and mod that. My recommendation for someone entirely new to SE is to not downgrade, but still prevent automatic updates. Problem is most people can't tell apart preferences from recommended modding practices or directly repeat misinformation.

Like I said, the info is already out there (in pinned threads, plenty of guides). I don't think sitting here and repeating the same info one question at a time is going to be helpful for either part involved.

That is an option yes. I think the settings menu you get by using the SkyrimSELauncher.exe also has an option to cap your FPS.

Edited by Just Don't

Careful guys, Aki K is either lying or was lied to: BitLocker does not lock you out because of a fan change, nor will it format your hdd. BitLocker also has a recovery key feature which Aki K (as the supposed owner of this computer) would be aware of. Its somewhat likely this is a stolen computer.

50 minutes ago, Fotogen said:

Press Win+R,

paste: steam://nav/console

press Enter

you are now in Steam console.

do that: download_depot ....

In Steam console, you can install older versions.  Its not piracy. Its legit Steam.

That is so cool.

9 minutes ago, traison said:

Careful guys, Aki K is either lying or was lied to: BitLocker does not lock you out because of a fan change, nor will it format your hdd. BitLocker also has a recovery key feature which Aki K (as the supposed owner of this computer) would be aware of. Its somewhat likely this is a stolen computer.

Key was lost lol. It was a laptop and I was told by the repair shop (owned by a trusted friend) that sometimes with laptops, hardware changes can setoff bitlocker because of how laptops are designed. The key was lost. It was supposed to be on my mac, but I couldn't find it. Now it could be the rapair shop employee tried to do some shit he wasn't supposed to do and that's what triggered it and he was just telling me the fan replacement caused it.

Computer is not stolen. I don't know what else to say in that regard. I had the key at one time, probably deleted it after a few years and forgetting what bitlocker was. I have mentioned several times I am not a tech person. Seeing a little icon on my desktop that says bitlocker and me never using it for anything tends to make me think I don't need it. Then I find out when it is too late. So most likely scenario is the repair shop guy lied and did something he wasn't supposed to. Because as I have mentioned, this is the exact same computer I used to make my Aki Tats mods. The exact same computer I was using as recently as last november to make all of the slavetat mods mentioned in my signature.

Edited by Aki K
45 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Like I said, the info is already out there (in pinned threads, plenty of guides). I don't think sitting here and repeating the same info one question at a time is going to be helpful for either part involved.

A lot of times I don't understand the guides. Kind of why I'm seeking more direct help. Someone to maybe discord with my friend (who is slightly better at the technical aspects than I am) at some point and guide. I also understand that's a longshot though.

Ok. Gonna give a new plan a try.

I'm going to attempt to mod BOTH LE and SE at the same time. And whichever one works out better, I'll use. I'll just give it my best I guess.

Starting from scratch on both seems like the way to go. Follow STEP as much as I can. Hopefully at least one of them will work.

Vor 2 Stunden sagte Aki K:

OK. Ich werde einen neuen Plan ausprobieren.

Ich werde versuchen, SOWOHL LE als auch SE gleichzeitig zu modifizieren. Und je nachdem, welches besser funktioniert, werde ich verwenden. Ich werde einfach mein Bestes geben, denke ich.

Bei beiden von vorne anzufangen scheint der richtige Weg zu sein. Befolgen Sie STEP so weit ich kann. Hoffentlich funktioniert mindestens einer davon.

Well - it's your decision... I myself said goodbye to LE a long time ago and switched to it practically the day the SE version was released.

Why haven't I switched to AE by now?

Essentially because a year ago I was faced with the question - which version would I like to update my blog history with - the "old" SE or the "newer" AE

Since not all of the mods I planned worked properly on AE at the time, I stuck with the SE version.

If I were faced with this decision today... well I would choose the AE version.

But that's just ME... I can now assess my abilities in using mods quite well

AND

Now 61 years old, I know my "learning curve"... I have to look for ways to help me avoid unnecessary difficulties.

---

All I can read from your posts so far... is your impatience to reach your goal.

From my point of view, you don't really make progress with this - your own frustration is counter-productive to progress

I didn't intentionally link to this "step-by-step" guide for you.

If you want to get serious about it, it will definitely take a beginner a few weeks to achieve good results.

You should keep in mind that many mod users go their own way - there are often several paths that lead to the goal... there are tens of thousands of mods - which result in a ridiculous number of combinations.

You have to ask yourself the question - what do you actually want to achieve by modifying your game?

And can this goal or desire to achieve this goal even generate motivation to spend weeks and months on the necessary learning process?

3 hours ago, Miauzi said:

Well - it's your decision... I myself said goodbye to LE a long time ago and switched to it practically the day the SE version was released.

Why haven't I switched to AE by now?

Essentially because a year ago I was faced with the question - which version would I like to update my blog history with - the "old" SE or the "newer" AE

Since not all of the mods I planned worked properly on AE at the time, I stuck with the SE version.

If I were faced with this decision today... well I would choose the AE version.

But that's just ME... I can now assess my abilities in using mods quite well

AND

Now 61 years old, I know my "learning curve"... I have to look for ways to help me avoid unnecessary difficulties.

---

All I can read from your posts so far... is your impatience to reach your goal.

From my point of view, you don't really make progress with this - your own frustration is counter-productive to progress

I didn't intentionally link to this "step-by-step" guide for you.

If you want to get serious about it, it will definitely take a beginner a few weeks to achieve good results.

You should keep in mind that many mod users go their own way - there are often several paths that lead to the goal... there are tens of thousands of mods - which result in a ridiculous number of combinations.

You have to ask yourself the question - what do you actually want to achieve by modifying your game?

And can this goal or desire to achieve this goal even generate motivation to spend weeks and months on the necessary learning process?

You are right. Being frustrated isn't helping me. It is just difficult dealing with literal weeks of failures when I tried to remod LE. I had hoped switching to SE would have the same process as LE just different versions of things. And I think the mix of different people's conflicting advice (among other things) plus just a general build up of other stressors has been getting to me.

I think taking a step back and trying to approach SE with a bit more patience is really very good advice that I needed to hear. My only concern is that even if I want to put weeks/months into it, that is...not realistic with my work schedule. It more likely will be years given my schedule.

As for what my goal is? I'm just trying to get my set up back to where it was before the computer was reformatted. With regards to SE/AE that would have the unfortunate issue of needing to convert some mods that don't exist anymore or were just never converted. But I'll cross that bridge when i get there I suppose.

So here is my current plan. I'm going to mod both LE and AE, from scratch. And whichever one ends up being closer to what I want and more functional, that's the one I'll use. AE/SE is the superior version but LE is what I know. At the very least I might get a working LE while I learn SE/AE for the future, and maybe by the time I'm properly modding AE all of the mods will have caught up and things will be more clear to me.

Anyway, thank you. I appreciate your advice.

9 hours ago, Aki K said:

It more likely will be years given my schedule.

10 years in my case. You're playing Skyrim wrong if you're not spending 90% of your time modding and the remaining 10 coming up with more reasons to mod.

I admit I haven't read the thread, but if that CTD with an unmodded install is still an issue then my suggestion is to install SKSE and Crash Logger regardless. Post the log it creates here, and I'll tell you why its crashing.

11 hours ago, traison said:

10 years in my case. You're playing Skyrim wrong if you're not spending 90% of your time modding and the remaining 10 coming up with more reasons to mod.

I admit I haven't read the thread, but if that CTD with an unmodded install is still an issue then my suggestion is to install SKSE and Crash Logger regardless. Post the log it creates here, and I'll tell you why its crashing.

Back when I had LE working I spent nearly all of my time modding, but I was also unemployed at the time. The reformat couldn't have happened at a worse time lol.

I'll look into installing crash logger and its requirements to figure out why SE is being such a pain.