Can't get script extender to work? Getting an error

I'm using MO2 to manage my mods. When I attempt to install the script extender into MO2, it says "the content of <data> does not look valid" and won't let me run the mod. I tried installing and running the F4SEloader.exe manually, but then it can't locate any mods of course. If I try and set MO2 to use the loader.exe as the starting file, it says that SE still isn't installed. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

25 minutes ago, DXCinereus said:

Hi! To get started, watch this video. Perhaps it will help you understand what you did wrong.

I might have not been clear in my original post, but I already set F4SELoader as my binary Executable file, and it does not work, so I need help beyond this video, thank you.

To clarify, when I run the F4SE exe through MO2, none of the mods are active. If I launch the loader directly from the FO4 file, it says SE is working, but that it can't find any mods (because they aren't in the mods folder, of course)

Edited by Nemenia

Have you done everything as shown in the video? Are all F4SE files in the specified locations? Is it possible to link F4SE to start a game in MO2? Or did you link it and launch the game, but you get a message that no plugins were found?

Explain more precisely. If there are problems during installation, the video should show everything step by step. The main cause of errors can only be incorrect installation, so the program cannot find plugins in the assigned path.

While I was writing, you added to your message, but this does not change anything. After installing F4SE, did you install the mods in the requirements for which it is specified? Is the "Plugins" folder exactly in the right place?

28 minutes ago, DXCinereus said:

Have you done everything as shown in the video? Are all F4SE files in the specified locations? Is it possible to link F4SE to start a game in MO2? Or did you link it and launch the game, but you get a message that no plugins were found?

Explain more precisely. If there are problems during installation, the video should show everything step by step. The main cause of errors can only be incorrect installation, so the program cannot find plugins in the assigned path.

While I was writing, you added to your message, but this does not change anything. After installing F4SE, did you install the mods in the requirements for which it is specified? Is the "Plugins" folder exactly in the right place?

I apologize, I'll try and be as clear as possible. I followed all the instructions in the video. F4SE is in the right location, and I did the manual approach he showed in the video to create an executable launch for F4SE using the Gear icon. When I launch the game, it says that F4SE is not present in an error message, and the game runs vanilla. I'm not sure what you mean by plugins folder being in the right place, as thats not mentioned in the video, but all my plugins are activate and loaded in the right order with LOOT (at least as far as I know). I hope that helps!

EDIT: I should add, when I launch the game, sometimes it will also get stuck on the loading screen and I'll be forced to tab out or restart as well.

Edited by Nemenia

Quite strange. Based on your words, you have installed and even run the game through F4SE but the game says you don't have it..... very strange. The program is there, but it is not. 

Can you make a screenshot showing the folder where you have the F4SE itself? 

What I mean by "plugins" folder?! I'll try to show you with an example of a "Mod Configuration Menu". The strict requirement for it is F4SE. 

Everything this plugin consists of.

444.jpg

Edited by DXCinereus

I found this information.

And try to read the comments under this plugin. If you try to use it, rollback the files you replace. The plugin is from 2017 and I don't know if there will be problems because of this now.

p.s. If you managed to solve the problem, please post here how you solved it. In case other users have a similar situation.

Edited by DXCinereus

I doubt you need to reinstall all mods. This is unlikely to improve the launch situation. You can look at the Steam launcher shortcut? Is it set to run as an administrator? Try changing this once and start the game. I don’t know if this is true or not, but we won’t lose anything by trying it.

The other solutions that are proposed look just as stupid. Checking compatibility on f4se_loader.exe, as well as changing the granting of access to all game applications in the firewall. =/

Edited by DXCinereus
6 hours ago, Nemenia said:

No luck. I get "No F4SE" in a popup, and the game is vanilla. Running it and MO2 as Admin.

It sounds like you need some specific instructions on how to run f4se_loader.exe through MO2. Don't bother reinstalling everything that is not the answer.

I have never used mo2 cause it seems weird to me. Maybe try this thread:

RohZima, It seems to me that you yourself didn’t even read what you proposed. I couldn’t find any specific advice or solutions there that could be applied to this situation. )))

A game update or a problem with a specific mod is clearly not the cause here. Nemenia is just starting to install mods. And in general, a topic with almost zero popularity, which does not imply any specific solutions. Its author practically solved his problem himself, without giving specific descriptions of his actions.

Basically, izzyknows' post should solve the problem by more than 90%. Although the advice is one of the main ones when modifying games, I personally managed to skip this point, focusing on the problem with FOSE, and not on launching mods.

However, thank you for your participation and trying to help! 🙂

20 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Did you even enable mods in the ini files?

Fallout4Prefs.ini:

[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1

Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

I'm about to try this, if this was it I'm going to actually cry. Will report back

Unfortunately, no. Adding the info to the .ini didn't seem to help anything. Also I did a complete reinstall of the game and the mods. It is no longer displaying "No F4SE" when the game launches, however, mods still aren't active. They appear in the "Mods" button in the menu, but they aren't in the MCM, and none of them appear to be working, game is still vanilla, despite claiming the mods are installed.

I have set everything involved to run as Admin as well.

53 minutes ago, Nemenia said:

I'm about to try this, if this was it I'm going to actually cry. Will report back

Actually that is your issue, but you're using MO2.. with is something you need to learn how to use. MO2 & Vortex are waaaaay over complicated for something that is extremely simple.

Gamer Poets tutorials are generally pretty good.  While these two videos are for the new user and you may think you're past them, it's probably some small, simple detail you've overlooked that's causing your issue.  Give them a look:

Installing MO2

and

Installing F4SE

In my own experience, I don't think MO2 is that complicated and I think it's a powerful tool.  That's why it's probably something small and insignificant seeming that you're missing.

11 hours ago, Nemenia said:

Unfortunately, no. Adding the info to the .ini didn't seem to help anything. Also I did a complete reinstall of the game and the mods. It is no longer displaying "No F4SE" when the game launches, however, mods still aren't active. They appear in the "Mods" button in the menu, but they aren't in the MCM, and none of them appear to be working, game is still vanilla, despite claiming the mods are installed.

I have set everything involved to run as Admin as well.

That does need to be added to the ini files.  Are you  using the built in ini editor in MO2, or editing from your Documents folder?  You preferably want to do it from inside MO2.

fo4 saves the ini in a couple different spots. i dont use mo2 as its convoluted and i have my own methods.

when you edit the ini there *should* be a copy in the fo4 directory, one in documents/my games/ and wherever mo2 keeps its shadow copies.

if you are just getting into modding as a whole, id reccomend you use vortex. ppl are gonna cry about it, but it is a good manager and its alot more user friendly than mo2.

moving forward from this point its literally only gonna get harder so try not to over complicate things till you get your feet under you.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:03 PM, travelmedic said:

That does need to be added to the ini files.  Are you  using the built in ini editor in MO2, or editing from your Documents folder?  You preferably want to do it from inside MO2.

How would I do that? I haven't seen any guides mention editing .ini files through MO2

39 minutes ago, Nemenia said:

How would I do that? I haven't seen any guides mention editing .ini files through MO2

On 1/26/2024 at 9:19 PM, DXCinereus said:

Then try these recommendations.

Have you watched this? Even if these are not full-fledged guides, they are still at least some tips for setting up MO2 ini.

78996.jpg

8 hours ago, Nemenia said:

This is from my Starfield instance of MO2, but it will still be the same for Skyrim/Fallout/whatever.

(PS - As far as the age old MO2 vs Vortex debate, either one of them will serve you well, and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Whichever you use, invest the time to really learn it)

ini editor.jpg