Recent Skyrim SE Update Has Completely Broken My Game

This is literally a copy & paste from my Nexus topic but I figured I'd ask here aswell because 1 some of the modders here have been more useful than on Nexus & 2 in case it may be one of the mods from this site that's causing it but anyway here's my issue:

So thanks to Bethesda's recent (and completely pointless update) for Skyrim AE my game has completely broke. I get a crash before the main menu even loads & my crash logger is not logging what the cause is. I have the SE version but it has the AE version of skse & any mods that have an AE version I have that version installed (and it was working perfectly fine before the recent update, a few crashes but my crash logger actually logged the cause for those so I was able to figure it out) I updated all the mods I could to their most recent versions. I am at a complete loss. If anyone can help me I'd much appreciate it. 

Do yourself a favor and just google how to prevent skyrim se updates.

As for how to save your current situation you can update all  your mods with a dll (but I'm not sure if everything has been updated really), get the latest SKSE + Address Library and pray everything goes right. Or you can downgrade to the version you were using before this update (1.6.640 most likely). If you downgrade you'd also need to go back to the previous version of all the mods you've been updating, in case these are not backward compatible.

Actually I am interested in the psychology in which people, (not necessarily the OP), but a section of posters in general who don't or can't use a search engine to find an answer, (or are not willing to parse the given answers for the result they want). They obviously found this site through a certain mean, but it doesn't seem that means was through a search engine.

19 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

Actually I am interested in the psychology in which people, (not necessarily the OP), but a section of posters in general who don't or can't use a search engine to find an answer, (or are not willing to parse the given answers for the result they want). They obviously found this site through a certain mean, but it doesn't seem that means was through a search engine.

After over a year of support and another trying to ignore support topics with mixed success, I am pretty sure using google is like holy water to vampires for some people.

10 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

There's been many situations where I've had to Google* my own posts here on LL and come up with 0 results. However, if you know how to use "advanced" search terms, suddenly things can be found again. What are these "advanced" search terms you ask? Simply tell Google that you're aware that LL exists and that it should stop bs'ing you:

Wrong: "skyrim traison Recent Skyrim SE Update Has Completely Broken My Game"

Correct: "Recent Skyrim SE Update Has Completely Broken My Game +traison site:loverslab.com"

If you're on DuckDuckGo.com, append a "!safeoff" to the correct search query.

The short of it is, I'm not surprised people can't find even slightly off-level information on search engines anymore. Censorship is as bad on Google as it is in Chinese counterparts, we're just too stupid to realize it. Well maybe not as bad. I've never heard of anyone disappearing in the middle of the night after googling "big tiddys", but would it surprise me to find out this happed? Not really.

* "Google" or "Googling" in this case meaning "a search engine" or "using a search engine to search the internet" respectively. I.e. I'm using that term as the "normies" (the mainstream) would. It doesn't mean I actually used Google Search or limited my options to only Google Search.

SO, while we are here in this thread (And I am not going to post a NEW topic since I have never had this before the update), I have found a very odd issue after trying to start over, I found my character unable to move, and I cannot type anything in any MCM. I can type in the console and I was able to type my character name, but for some reason, nothing else lets me type and I have to immediately use EPC (Enable Player Controls for those who don't know) to move at all which is not normal.

However, if needed, I can repost this elsewhere, though I think it is relevant to the topic at hand.

EDIT: I THINK it may be SkyUI that broke. None of the text fields allow input and it defaults to overriding into the game's base menus. I.E. pressing E in a blank text field just closes the field, or keys like J will back me out with no text entered in the field. Though that doesn't explain the locked player controls...

Edited by Talamaeus
More information
1 hour ago, Talamaeus said:

SO, while we are here in this thread (And I am not going to post a NEW topic since I have never had this before the update), I have found a very odd issue after trying to start over, I found my character unable to move, and I cannot type anything in any MCM. I can type in the console and I was able to type my character name, but for some reason, nothing else lets me type and I have to immediately use EPC (Enable Player Controls for those who don't know) to move at all which is not normal.

However, if needed, I can repost this elsewhere, though I think it is relevant to the topic at hand.

EDIT: I THINK it may be SkyUI that broke. None of the text fields allow input and it defaults to overriding into the game's base menus. I.E. pressing E in a blank text field just closes the field, or keys like J will back me out with no text entered in the field. Though that doesn't explain the locked player controls...

Unless you're a developer, the only reasonable approach to 1130 is to "downgrade" to 640. There's too many weird issues like this going around. Also, there's going to be another patch soon, so whatever you fix now, will be broken again in a couple of weeks.

10 minutes ago, Talamaeus said:

Downgrading it won't break things that I've already updated with the patch, right?

Thats going to depend on what you updated. Obviously if you updated to something that is not backwards compatible... I mean use your imagination.

Well, it was around a dozen .dll scripts that stopped working, and all but the mods containing fiss.dll and zzestrus.dll didn't get updated (yet). However, if the controls are locking every time I try to use a SkyUI text field (including the Filter field in the inventory menu) they I might just have to wait for SkyUI to update (if that ever happens, not sure if the author is still supporting it.)

I am HOPING the script edits will be backwards compatible. Hell, I'm not even sure WHY adjusting the creation club even broke the scripts in the first place. Creation Club is a separate menu anyway, and I don't think you can access it while playing. At least, last time I looked, it was ONLY accessible from the main menu.

EDIT: WELL I'm dumber than a monkey. -_- SKSE 2.2.5 (apparently a new update) has this exact thing fixed in it's latest patch notes.

Edited by Talamaeus
22 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

Using Google is the first thing I do when I encounter an issue like this, but it never helps at all. I just get outdated results that don't apply to the current version of the game, it's the whole reason I went to the forums. 

5 hours ago, PhoenixFlyer324650 said:

I just get outdated results that don't apply to the current version of the game

There is nothing new in updates breaking a modded game. It's not even particular to Skyrim or Bethesda games. If you have a modded game you must ensure you're the only one making changes to it. The advice and information you can find in old posts for Skyrim during 2011-2013 or Skyrim SE since 2016 still applies. Avoid automatic updates. If your game updated because you weren't careful enough you must wait until everything is updated or you can downgrade your game to restore the game files to what you had before the update. There are several posts on how to do all these things and most of them were specifically written for this latest update.

My crash logger finally decided to work after about 20 attempts & I discovered that it was True Hud  & Add Item Menu (which I don't even use anymore & completely forgot about it) that broke the game. So if anyone else is having the same issue as me, it might be True Hud or Add Item Menu

Also to those saying don't update the game, I literally can't, I can't disable auto updates on Steam. I can set it to 'only update game when I launch it' but that still forces me to update it regardless. 

5 minutes ago, E. Gairhald said:

Wow, I thought it might help, I haven't actually checked, Steam actually updated my Skyrim on its own, even though I had it set to update only from its launcher. I thought it could be a solution but I see that they have everything studied.

We will continue investigating, thank you.

There are ways around but I'm kind of suspicious of them picking up on tricks people use, so I haven't been publicly posting anything. I sent the schematic to another LL user earlier today but I checked their profile before I did. Someone having 1000+ posts on LL is perhaps less likely to be a scout. Call me paranoid if you want, but I'm kinda fed up with having to fight constant attacks from mega corporations, be it Valve or Microsoft or whoever.

Vor 9 Minuten sagte E. Gairhald:

Wow, ich dachte, es könnte helfen, ich habe es nicht wirklich überprüft, Steam hat mein Skyrim tatsächlich von selbst aktualisiert, obwohl ich es so eingestellt hatte, dass es nur über den Launcher aktualisiert wird. Ich dachte, es könnte eine Lösung sein, aber ich sehe, dass sie alles untersucht haben.

Wir werden die Ermittlungen fortsetzen, vielen Dank.

For me this works like this:

"Steam" has been operating in offline mode... since the SE version was first switched to AE.

There is a complete installation of "Skyrim-SE" in a "hidden" directory - a copy of which is placed in the Steam game folder during a new installation... and modded accordingly according to my wishes.

Since I experimented a lot with mods long before the AE version was released - I often had to reinstall the game (after an "atomic option").

This may seem cumbersome now... but it has so far prevented my SE version from being updated to AE without my consent... and I have a working vanilla version - ready for modding - in less than 1 hour

3 hours ago, PhoenixFlyer324650 said:

Also to those saying don't update the game, I literally can't, I can't disable auto updates on Steam. I can set it to 'only update game when I launch it' but that still forces me to update it regardless. 

Not really. Setting it to update only when you launch it, disallowing background downloads and starting the game through SKSE loader instead of the default executables is enough to avoid automatic updates. Your game would only update if you use the default executable instead of SKSE to start the game, or if you attempt to run the game without Steam open. You can also set the app manifest as read only. You could create a completely isolated install of the game that Steam will never touch. You can do this and a lot more. All of this is in the first page of results for "how to stop skyrim se updates" in a simple google search.

Edited by Just Don't
On 12/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, Miauzi said:

For me this works like this:

"Steam" has been operating in offline mode... since the SE version was first switched to AE.

There is a complete installation of "Skyrim-SE" in a "hidden" directory - a copy of which is placed in the Steam game folder during a new installation... and modded accordingly according to my wishes.

Since I experimented a lot with mods long before the AE version was released - I often had to reinstall the game (after an "atomic option").

This may seem cumbersome now... but it has so far prevented my SE version from being updated to AE without my consent... and I have a working vanilla version - ready for modding - in less than 1 hour

This is what I did for Starfield during the patch betas. So long as your mod organizer is set to the directory of the pre-patch setup, then this should not update eith newer patches. It can be cumbersome, especially considering the size of the install (anything over 15 GB becomes a chore to redownload/install.)

But if it worked for Starfield, then it SHOULD work for older titles.