Fluent Encounters (FLEN) - ALPHA - One Encounter at a time

If I may suggest Babo Dialogue and Sexlab Approach Redux, both by Bakafactory?

I've noticed that there is a habit of initiating a dialogue when in the middle of a sex scene. Tabbing to remove the dialogue can break the approacher leaving them to follow you around everywhere. If you use the dialogue to tell them to go away, it can prematurely (pun intended) end the sex scene.

I think it is approach doing this, but could be possibly Dialogue does this as well.

I am unlikely to continue this project, but if someone wants to, I share files for some of the projects, together with the `blaze` tool I made for patch management.

The readme in the project files should explain most of it, but the gist is that making patches is error-prone. I wanted to publish only the changed script files, and to track all that I made the blaze tool, which can compare changes to the script files in the mod, and then pack everything in FOMOD format, where user can pick the mod version they are using when installing the mod. If the mod releases an update, you can add updated scripts in a new folder inside Ref, and if the blaze tool finds no differences it will re-apply previously made changes automatically. More in the project's READMEs.

Blaze 0.1.3.7z FLEN Project - DeviousInterests.7z FLEN Project - DeviousDevices NG.7z FLEN Project - Fill Her Up Baka Edition.7z FLEN Project - EggFactory38-64bit.7z FLEN Project - Deviously Helpless SE.7z FLEN Project - SexLab Aroused Creatures SE.7z

Just seeking some education here regarding my mod SLSF Fame Comments. I've got a little script running that checks if the PC is in any dialogue menu and sets a variable that is then used to condition my mod's dialogue that calls Sexlab. I also condition such dialogue on the player not being in the SexlabAnimatingFaction. And, I set (and release) a flag internal to my mod so my own (random) Hello/Idle dialogue that calls Sexlab doesn't fire while my other own such dialogue is displayed. This all seems to work reasonably well.  Of course, my mod is random dialogue, so if something gets skipped, no big deal. I can see how the conflict would be a bigger deal for other mods that are putting the Sexlab animation in the context of a larger scene.

My next thought is that it seems a lot of mods aren't checking if the PC is already in the SexLabAnimatingFaction before calling their own animation or before initiating other events (PW's guard teleport to Jarl comes to mind). I recognize that this faction check is not a perfect control, because there's a slight delay after the Sexlab call before the PC is put into the SexlabAnimatingFaction. But this would still help a lot.

So I guess my question is: Am I right in assuming that there's no need for me to integrate something like FLEN in SLSF Fame Comments, at least for the random dialogue, which is 95% of the mod? My mod doesn't need to "claim" any encounters, and is happy to be pushed aside by other mods. Also, if another mod did call Sexlab in the middle of a Sexlab animation started by my mod, wouldn't Sexlab's threading system handle it just fine? Also, none of my "approaches" use forcegreets or follow packages like some other mods, so there's no problem with interrupting the animation. All the Sexlab calls in SLSF Fame Comments are "fire and forget".

Edited by Gristle
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, Gristle said:

My next thought is that it seems a lot of mods aren't checking if the PC is already in the SexLabAnimatingFaction before calling their own animation or before initiating other events (PW's guard teleport to Jarl comes to mind). I recognize that this faction check is not a perfect control, because there's a slight delay after the Sexlab call before the PC is put into the SexlabAnimatingFaction. But this would still help a lot.

Yes, relying on variable checks is prone to race conditions. That's why the "claim" in FLEN does two things: it both checks if your mod can run, and if it can, it sets the variable. If the PW also had similar integration, it would "just work". The PW was not on my priority list when making initial patches because frankly the mod felt very complicated to test, and I don't even know all the events that could happen.

However, I suppose the FLEN is a goner now.
I am really sorry to fail with FLEN like this, I've spend quite a bit of time on it and it's sad to abandon the initial work.

7 hours ago, dagersand said:

Yes, relying on variable checks is prone to race conditions. That's why the "claim" in FLEN does two things: it both checks if your mod can run, and if it can, it sets the variable. If the PW also had similar integration, it would "just work". The PW was not on my priority list when making initial patches because frankly the mod felt very complicated to test, and I don't even know all the events that could happen.

I am really sorry to fail with FLEN like this, I've spend quite a bit of time on it and it's sad to abandon the initial work.

I appreciate the work you put in, and even if you can't continue development, having the patching tool is very useful. Thanks! Plus you never know, someone may continue where you left off or take inspiration and start a similar project. More ideas being thrown at the wall makes for a healthier modding community.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 10:43 PM, dagersand said:

Thanks for the hard work you have done.