Fluent Encounters (FLEN) - ALPHA - One Encounter at a time

Fluent Encounters (FLEN) - ALPHA - One Encounter at a time

View File

This mod keeps track of the current event and tells the mods to delay any new random events, to make sure only one event is happening at the same time.

It's unfeasible for all mods to have integrations with any other mod to check that they don't interfere. But it's possible to integrate with optional simple mod like this and get most of it sorted out.

Therefore by itself, this mod does nothing and runs no updates. For it to work, it requires other mods to add integrations with it.

Multiple mods triggering at the same time can result in some serious jank, where they try to start different animations, take away and not return player controls, or even break the save. It annoyed me enough to put forward this solution.

It's a bit rough start, because it makes no sense for mod authors to add integration with this mod if no other mod has integration with this mod. The value of this mod comes from multiple mods supporting it. It's unfortunate, but to get started, I have turned into making patches to the mods that would benefit the most.

This also helped me to test the solution and make sure the API is solid. So far there are patches for the following mods:

- SexLab Aroused Creatures SE version v04.12 - very simple integration, aroused creatures won't start pursuit if you are in the middle of other trouble
- DeviousDevices SE-AE-VR/NG - very simple check for slot events, the "moan", "struggle" and other animations won't trigger if you are in other trouble
- Fill Her Up Baka Edition - a simple check, deflate won't trigger if you have other "encounter"
- SexLab Pheromones - this patch is not uninstallable because it changes the update loop. the attack will get canceled if you are involved in other things
- EggFactory38-64bit - very simple check before egg push, starts whole push animation as soon as other events end

- Devious interests - although this is for LE, it still works for SE version. Added checks before masturbate/free use events

- Deviously Helpless SE - helpless "encounters" won't conflict with any other "encounters"

All these patches are a bit risky without a new game. If patching an old save, test the mod if it works after the patching. The save should not be in the middle of any of these events.

IF YOU USE THE PROVIDED PATCHES DO NOT BOTHER THE ORIGINAL MOD AUTHORS ABOUT BUGS

Compatibility

- I only support official mod releases. If the original mod does not support something (like SexLab P+), my patch won't support it either.

- Likewise, it's a patch. It should be the only patch for the mod.

Requirements

Installation

- The base mod, "Download File" link. ESP marked as ESL can be anywhere in the load order.

- Patch for your particular mod. To be safe, the mod version specified in patch should match the mod, obviously. Make sure the patch overwrites the original mod files.

More details

The mod keeps track of a single thing: the name of an encounter that is currently happening.

Say, a mod wants to trigger a random event that will take away player controls, fade out screen or run some animation.

Before doing that, it should first claim the encounter. If the claim succeeds, then the mod can be assured that no other mod can run their encounters while the current encounter is happening. If the claim fails, the mod should retry again later.

When done, mod should release the claim to allow other mods to claim their encounters.

How to use it from another mod? SHOW ME THE CODES

The included readme goes into more detail, but a short version is this. To claim the encounter:

bool encounterAllowed = true ; by default it's allowed
if Game.GetModbyName("FluentEncounters.esp") != 255 ; FLEN exists
  encounterAllowed = (Quest.GetQuest("Flen_Core") as Flen_Core).Claim("<Your Mod Event Name Here>")
endif
if encounterAllowed ; FLEN
  ; random event here
endif ; FLEN

To release the claim:

(Quest.GetQuest("Flen_Core") as Flen_Core).Release("<Your Mod Event Name Here>")
endif

Future plans

- mod will never have more dependencies

- listen to feedback and do my best to improve the mod

- accept help from more experienced modders

The development and support of patches

I don't check LL often, the best place to talk about development is my Discord. I've shared a tool that creates these patches based on changes I make to files. Drop a message if you are interested in contributing, and I can help you get started.

LICENSE

WTFPL - Do what the **** you want public license.

Changelog

Spoiler

- Devious Interests 1.2 - Fix for encounter ending before sex in free use scenario
- Pheromones patch 1.3 - Add support for installing on existing save (1.2 version was always breaking whole pheromones mod if installed on existing save)

IF YOU USE THE PROVIDED PATCHES DO NOT BOTHER THE ORIGINAL MOD AUTHORS ABOUT BUGS

FLEN_DeviousDevicesNG_0.2.7_1.0.7z FLEN_DeviousDevicesSEAEVR_5.2_1.1.7z FLEN_EggFactory38-64bit_3.8.0_1.1.7z FLEN_FHU_BakaEdition_1.96V_1.1.7z FLEN_SexLabArousedCreaturesSE_v04.12_1.1.7z

FLEN_SexLabPheromones_v1.3.3_1.3.7z

FLEN_DeviousInterests_v0.922_1.2.7z FLEN_DeviouslyHelplessSE_v1.17a.001_1.1.7z

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/28/2023
  • Category
  • Requires
    SKSE, SkyUI, MCM
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

- Patches are only allowed to be used with specified original mod versions.
- If you use the patch, you loose the right to complain about bugs in original mod support thread. Uninstall the patch, reproduce the bug without it.

- If you are a mod author, and your mod starts random events, consider adding integration with this - this way you can ensure that your event won't be interrupted by any of the supported mods

Edited by Delever
6 hours ago, ebbluminous said:

If you have DD NG, do you need just that patch or that and the normal DD patch as well?

Both patches change the same file and the contents are identical. I am just keeping them separate to avoid confusion in future if something changes.

Sorely needed, thank you for making this, hopefully authors adopt this as standard going forward!

I'm a bit curious about the Deviously Helpless SE patch, as DH doesn't seem to like Sexlab p+ (or more accurately, p+ doesn't like DH's code). There's a crude patch using legacy code on the DH SE thread to work around it, however it's incompatible with your FLEN x DH patch, as they both modify WD_Util.pex
Just wondering if some combination of the two would be possible? I'd do it myself (in the same, imperfect manner) but my dying PC has recently decided that it hates the compiler :))

2 hours ago, alfgui said:

I presume this is not compatible with sexlab p+ since i got  a ctd everytime a sexlab scene kicked in, right?.

Core mod has no SexLab dependency. First of all, I would check if the mods work without FLEN. It's hard to identify the issue otherwise.

Edited by dagersand
5 hours ago, walok said:

Hello

Got a little problem. After installing i always get "Error loading config" in the MCM menu. CLicking on it brings up "invalid key: $schema". What could could be the problem ?

Thanks

A guess, have you installed MCM helper dependency?

5 hours ago, Zelathi said:

Sorely needed, thank you for making this, hopefully authors adopt this as standard going forward!

I'm a bit curious about the Deviously Helpless SE patch, as DH doesn't seem to like Sexlab p+ (or more accurately, p+ doesn't like DH's code). There's a crude patch using legacy code on the DH SE thread to work around it, however it's incompatible with your FLEN x DH patch, as they both modify WD_Util.pex
Just wondering if some combination of the two would be possible? I'd do it myself (in the same, imperfect manner) but my dying PC has recently decided that it hates the compiler :))

In strive for perfection, I have to pick my battles - realistically, I can't patch everything. In my patches, I usually mark all the places that I have changed with "; FLEN" comment, and my change is fairly simple addition of few ClaimEncounter and ReleaseEncounter in strategic places (it just took a bit of time to find the right places). I can also share my project files with vscode workspace that would help you to take care of the patch going forward (well that's what I am doing to make it possible).

All that said, given that p+ startup time is so much better, I will give it a try at some point. Right now it's not stable and I don't recommend it if you want compatibility.

Edited by dagersand
20 minutes ago, dagersand said:

A guess, have you installed MCM helper dependency?

Thanks

Actually i have it installed but that message about $schema prevented the other message that said my mcm helper is outdated from apppearing. Updated MCM helkper and it works.

41 minutes ago, dagersand said:

In strive for perfection, I have to pick my battles - realistically, I can't patch everything. In my patches, I usually mark all the places that I have changed with "; FLEN" comment, and my change is fairly simple addition of few ClaimEncounter and ReleaseEncounter in strategic places (it just took a bit of time to find the right places). I can also share my project files with vscode workspace that would help you to take care of the patch going forward (well that's what I am doing to make it possible).

All that said, given that p+ startup time is so much better, I will give it a try at some point. Right now it's not stable and I don't recommend it if you want compatibility.

Very much understandable to have to pick your battles with so many mods/iterations of mods out there, thanks for the info on the sorts of changes you're making within the patches. Once I get a new PC I'll probably throw together a crude temporary patch if there's still a need by then.

3 hours ago, dagersand said:

Core mod has no SexLab dependency. First of all, I would check if the mods work without FLEN. It's hard to identify the issue otherwise.

Maybe it's Sexlab solutions revisited the mod that has compatibility problems with p+,  because after removing your mod nothing happens (instead of a ctd)

I tried to integrate FLEN to SL Parasites. I identified the birth event, which is this function:

Spoiler

Function triggerEstrusChaurusBirth( Actor kActor, String  sParasite, Int iBirthItemCount  )

ObjectReference PlayerRef = Game.GetPlayer()
      Actor PlayerActor = PlayerRef as Actor
      Form fBirthItem = None

if (kActor == None)
          kActor = PlayerActor
      endIf

If (fctDevious.ActorHasKeywordByString( kActor, "Belt"  ))
        Debug.MessageBox("The cramps are in vain as your body tries to expel the parasites in spite of the material covering your holes.")
        Debug.Trace("[SLP]    Already wearing a belt - Aborting")
        Debug.SendAnimationEvent(PlayerRef, "bleedOutStart")
        utility.wait(4)
        Debug.SendAnimationEvent(PlayerRef, "IdleForceDefaultState")
        Return 
    Endif

If (sParasite == "SpiderEgg")
        fBirthItem = SmallSpiderEgg as Form

ElseIf (sParasite == "ChaurusEgg")
        fBirthItem = ChaurusEgg as Form

ElseIf (sParasite == "ChaurusWorm")
        fBirthItem = IngredientChaurusWorm as Form

ElseIf (sParasite == "ChaurusWormVag")

ElseIf (sParasite == "Barnacles")
        fBirthItem = BarnaclesCluster as Form

Endif

Debug.Trace("[SLP] triggerEstrusChaurusBirth - Actor: " + kActor)
    Debug.Trace("[SLP]         sParasite: " + sParasite)
    Debug.Trace("[SLP]         fBirthItem: " + fBirthItem)
    Debug.Trace("[SLP]         iBirthItemCount: " + iBirthItemCount)

If (fBirthItem != None)
        ; Testing EC birth event
        ;To call an EC Birth event use the following code:
        ;

int ECBirth = ModEvent.Create("ECGiveBirth") ; Int          Int does not have to be named "ECBirth" any name would do
        if (ECBirth) && (!(fctUtils.isPregnantByEstrusChaurus( kActor)))
            Debug.Trace("[SLP]         EC event detected - ECBirth")
            ModEvent.PushForm(ECBirth, self)         ; Form         Pass the calling form to the event

ModEvent.PushForm(ECBirth, kActor)      ; Form         The Actor to give birth
            ModEvent.PushForm(ECBirth, fBirthItem) ; Form    The Item to give birth to - if push None births Chaurus eg
            ModEvent.PushInt(ECBirth, iBirthItemCount)            ; Int    The number of Items to give birth too
            ModEvent.Send(ECBirth)
        else
            Debug.Trace("[SLP]         Fallback animation")
            ;EC is not installed
            utility.wait(4)
            PlayerRef.PlaceAtMe(fBirthItem, iBirthItemCount)
        endIf
        ;
        ;   **NB** The birth event will not fire if the actor is already infected with the Chaurus Parasite effect
        ;               This birth event is unaware of calling mods effects on Breast/Belly/Butt nodes - Any changes to
        ;               inflation of these nodes at birth must be handled by the calling mod.

Endif

EndFunction

I added FLEN in this way (I underlined the modified parts):

Spoiler

Function triggerEstrusChaurusBirth( Actor kActor, String  sParasite, Int iBirthItemCount  )

Form fBirthItem = None
      bool encounterAllowed = true

if (kActor == None)
          kActor = PlayerActor
      endIf

if Game.GetModbyName("FluentEncounters.esp") != 255  ; FLEN exists
        encounterAllowed = (Quest.GetQuest("Flen_Core") as Flen_Core).Claim("Parasite Birth")
    endif    

Debug.MessageBox("The cramps are in vain as your body tries to expel the parasites in spite of the material covering your holes.")
            utility.wait(4)

(Quest.GetQuest("Flen_Core") as Flen_Core).Release("Parasite Birth")
            endif

Return 
        Endif

Endif

If (fBirthItem != None)
            ; Testing EC birth event
            ;

int ECBirth = ModEvent.Create("ECGiveBirth") ; Int          Int does not have to be named "ECBirth" any name would do

ModEvent.PushForm(ECBirth, self)         ; Form         Pass the calling form to the event

ModEvent.PushForm(ECBirth, fBirthItem) ; Form    The Item to give birth to - if push None births Chaurus eg
                ModEvent.PushInt(ECBirth, iBirthItemCount)            ; Int    The number of Items to give birth too
                ModEvent.Send(ECBirth)
            else
                ;EC is not installed
                utility.wait(4)
            endIf
            ;
            ;   **NB** The birth event will not fire if the actor is already infected with the Chaurus Parasite effect
            ;               This birth event is unaware of calling mods effects on Breast/Belly/Butt nodes - Any changes to
            ;               inflation of these nodes at birth must be handled by the calling mod.

Endif

endif

endif ; FLEN

EndFunction

I think it should work, I don't added FLEN on my current save in fear to screwed up so I can't test it.

Edited by furel
9 hours ago, furel said:

I tried to integrate FLEN to SL Parasites. I identified the birth event, which is this function:

Hide contents

Form fBirthItem = None

if (kActor == None)
          kActor = PlayerActor
      endIf

utility.wait(4)
        Return 
    Endif

Endif

If (fBirthItem != None)
        ; Testing EC birth event
        ;

ModEvent.Send(ECBirth)
        else
            ;EC is not installed
            utility.wait(4)
        endIf
        ;

Endif

EndFunction

I added FLEN in this way (I underlined the modified parts):

Hide contents

Form fBirthItem = None
      bool encounterAllowed = true

if (kActor == None)
          kActor = PlayerActor
      endIf

if Game.GetModbyName("FluentEncounters.esp") != 255  ; FLEN exists
        encounterAllowed = (Quest.GetQuest("Flen_Core") as Flen_Core).Claim("Parasite Birth")
    endif    

utility.wait(4)

endif

Return 
        Endif

Endif

If (fBirthItem != None)
            ; Testing EC birth event
            ;

ModEvent.Send(ECBirth)
            else
                ;EC is not installed
                utility.wait(4)
            endIf
            ;

Endif

endif

endif ; FLEN

EndFunction

I think it should work, I don't added FLEN on my current save in fear to screwed up so I can't test it.

Tricky part when writing these integrations is ensuring that event does not simply fail, but is delayed. I may look into this mod later. A more annoying event in that mod is not birth, but living armor attack, which can be quite frequent.

1 hour ago, dagersand said:

Tricky part when writing these integrations is ensuring that event does not simply fail, but is delayed. I may look into this mod later. A more annoying event in that mod is not birth, but living armor attack, which can be quite frequent.

I see. The changes I made prevents the event from happening but that doesn't mean that the function would be called again until it can be done.

Not a big approach mod user but this is a great idea - congrats on the release! We can probably integrate the FLEN stuff for DD NG directly into our codebase to prevent any issues with future releases if you're open to that.

An admittedly ambitious suggestion (maybe out of scope for what you're doing) is allowing players to define config files to lock and unlock events according to certain conditions. For example, if I'm thane of a given hold or wearing heavy armor, it stands to reason random civilians would be too intimidated to try something. Same thing for faction allegiances (disabling encounters in Whiterun when you're a Companion), civil war quest lines (whichever side you pick won't harass you), and so on.

5 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

Not a big approach mod user but this is a great idea - congrats on the release! We can probably integrate the FLEN stuff for DD NG directly into our codebase to prevent any issues with future releases if you're open to that.

An admittedly ambitious suggestion (maybe out of scope for what you're doing) is allowing players to define config files to lock and unlock events according to certain conditions. For example, if I'm thane of a given hold or wearing heavy armor, it stands to reason random civilians would be too intimidated to try something. Same thing for faction allegiances (disabling encounters in Whiterun when you're a Companion), civil war quest lines (whichever side you pick won't harass you), and so on.

Hey, I am very open to that! Maintaining patches is messy business, so if having it in you code is not a big issue it would be great.

And for your ambitious suggestions, I have mixed feelings. It would be cool to define filters with rules, but then if the rule contains mod name, then surely that original mod should take into account if you are thane or have some faction allegiances, or whatever else that makes sense for the mod.
I will start simpler, I already have a checkbox to not trigger in dialogue, another one I have in mind is to prevent trigger while underwater.

20 minutes ago, dagersand said:

And for your ambitious suggestions, I have mixed feelings. It would be cool to define filters with rules, but then if the rule contains mod name, then surely that original mod should take into account if you are thane or have some faction allegiances, or whatever else that makes sense for the mod.
I will start simpler, I already have a checkbox to not trigger in dialogue, another one I have in mind is to prevent trigger while underwater.

Focusing on simpler conditions to start makes sense. I'm thinking more in terms of global toggling rather than individual mods. Most don't have these sorts of fine-grained conditions and it they do they may be inconsistent.

• 1 month later...

This mod is sorely needed, I hope the big random encounter mod authors get on this soon.  
I’ve suggested it to Pamatronic from Prison Alternative fame, but if I understand correctly the mod authors themselves need to make patches for this platform and not that you will be making patches moving forward?