A Starfield rant thread

19 minutes ago, nIn nIn nIn said:

There are issues with save bloat from playing one character extensively. All sorts of bugs begin to happen. My last time it was the inability to exit my ship via the space docker. I had to sit in the pilot seat and hold down [X] to board. All the space stations and other ships were affected.

You have 2 options.

Go through the unity - which cleans your save game and resets the game. 

Start a new character and start all over again from scratch.

NG+ is basically Bethesdas way of resetting the save file to prevent save bloat created game breaking bugs. The first time this happened to me I had reached level 72 and was in the final stages of the Crimson Fleet/UC sysdef quest when I lost all ability to interact with the key space station. apart from using the console to coc into it. I had no option except new game.

Second time, I had prepared by parking the main quest at {Masada] which allowed me to quickly advance to Unity and reset the save file without losing my levels/skills.

Then MO2 was officially released and I nuked my game for a whole swathe of cool mods and started a new game.

Basically, without Bethesda doing some sort of fix for save bloat (some means to purge the records) without having to force NG+, we are left with just these 2 options.

Excellent elaboration, NIN, thanks...however, I'm now left wondering...I do have literally over 300 save games...I've spent more than that in hours alone on Kreet renovating the Kreet Research Lab and filming.  Could it be due to the amount of assets I've added to the cell?  Is there a "quick" way to go through the Unity, and if I managed to do so without being able to pilot a ship (can't sit), will it reset the cell(s) I've been working on?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by ItsMeStackEm
Typo.

If your ship has a command console - it's in some of the habs including the captains quarters on Frontier. You can use it to fast travel your ship to orbit - which normally places you in the pilots seat. You should be able to power up the grav drive then.

Assuming you have all the artifacts including the Hunters and the Emissary's, both of which you get when completing the Masada quest stage - build the armillary first then use the command table. I don't know if using the table to fast travel into orbit around a different star system will trigger unity, haven't tried it yet myself.

edit - I have read that having a lot of files in your save folder could also cause issues. Try moving or deleting the files you don't need. I suggest zipping them up onto a different hard drive. So you can access them later if needed. But I really don't know if this will help. The save file just gets bloated with all the data from all the drops and kills and everything - which is what NG+ clears out.

Edited by nIn nIn nIn
29 minutes ago, nIn nIn nIn said:

If your ship has a command console - it's in some of the habs including the captains quarters on Frontier. You can use it to fast travel your ship to orbit - which normally places you in the pilots seat. You should be able to power up the grav drive then.

Assuming you have all the artifacts including the Hunters and the Emissary's, both of which you get when completing the Masada quest stage - build the armillary first then use the command table. I don't know if using the table to fast travel into orbit around a different star system will trigger unity, haven't tried it yet myself.

edit - I have read that having a lot of files in your save folder could also cause issues. Try moving or deleting the files you don't need. I suggest zipping them up onto a different hard drive. So you can access them later if needed. But I really don't know if this will help. The save file just gets bloated with all the data from all the drops and kills and everything - which is what NG+ clears out.

Hi NIN,

I'm very pleased to say that I have solved the problem!!  I logged back in here to share my findings in case it helps someone else.

I found that when I couldn't sit, then tried to fast travel to the ship (force cockpit entry), I was left in a position in the ship as if I was looking down at myself, like I was up in the ductwork of the ship (if such a thing exists).  I was unable to move.  I tried "tfc" in the console, and I did notice that it did register, but I was still unable to move the camera either.

After being ready to give up in despair, I decided to click on my character while in the console, and type variations of "tc", "tai", and "tfc".  Well, lo and behold, BAM - I was released from the problem and found myself in the cockpit!!  I tried traveling to other locations in the ship, saved, loaded, left and re-boarded the ship and everything seems fine now!

I have removed the excess save files from their original location and backed them up.

All is well with the world now.  I was ready to have lost a lot of work...I've hardly left Kreet, and I hear it's a big world out there!  :-)

Thanks for your advice, NIN.  Happy New Year and chat any time.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:21 AM, Mr. Otaku said:

I think we're gonna run into the problem of extreme power draw and heat build up if cards keep launching like this.

That said the official DLSS patch has alleviated the fps problem more drastically than i expected, now i'm never going under 100fps (also cause i still use a 1080p monitor like a gorilla, so that helps too lmao) but on 4K monitors too it's very solidly above 60fps, so my guess is that if future enb and reshade models take upscaling fully into account (since every big new game practically depends on upscaling these days unlike when Skyrim and Fallout 4 came out) we wouldn't need yet another top of the line card just to run it with enb or reshade on top. And from what i know (very little) things like SMP are more CPU bound so just focusing on the GPU wouldn't be enough.

Now, i'm pretty rich (I'm aware how conceited that sounds, not my intention i swear lol) so i can easily afford whatever next top of the line shit they keep releasing but i don't want to. I wanna stick with this system for a long, long time, so i really hope graphics don't get so out of hand that a 4090 becomes a "weak" card. Maybe in 2060's i can accept that but not anytime soon lmao.

Have you seen the NVIDIA A100?  :-)  That's my dream card (currently).

https://technicalustad.com/most-expensive-graphics-card/

Am 02.01.2024 um 04:10 Uhr sagte ItsMeStackEm:

Hi NIN,

I'm very pleased to say that I have solved the problem!!  I logged back in here to share my findings in case it helps someone else.

Ich stellte fest, dass ich, als ich nicht sitzen konnte und dann versuchte, schnell zum Schiff zu gelangen (Eintritt ins Cockpit erzwingen), in einer Position im Schiff zurückblieb, als würde ich auf mich selbst herabblicken, als wäre ich oben in den Leitungen von das Schiff (falls es so etwas gibt). Ich konnte mich nicht bewegen. Ich habe „tfc“ in der Konsole ausprobiert und festgestellt, dass es registriert wurde, aber ich konnte die Kamera immer noch nicht bewegen.

Nachdem ich verzweifelt aufgeben wollte, beschloss ich, in der Konsole auf meinen Charakter zu klicken und Variationen von „tc“, „tai“ und „tfc“ einzugeben. Und siehe da, BAM – ich war von dem Problem befreit und fand mich im Cockpit wieder!! Ich habe versucht, zu anderen Orten im Schiff zu reisen, habe gespeichert, geladen, das Schiff verlassen und bin wieder an Bord gegangen, und jetzt scheint alles in Ordnung zu sein!

Ich habe die überschüssigen Sicherungsdateien von ihrem ursprünglichen Speicherort entfernt und eine Sicherungskopie erstellt.

Mit der Welt ist jetzt alles in Ordnung. Ich war bereit, eine Menge Arbeit zu verlieren ... Ich habe Kreet kaum verlassen und ich habe gehört, dass die Welt da draußen riesig ist! ?

Danke für deinen Rat, NIN. Frohes neues Jahr und chatten Sie jederzeit.

This problem has existed since "Morrowind" (and also the solution you described)... and is a general problem with the "engine" that the game studio uses

7 hours ago, Miauzi said:

This problem has existed since "Morrowind" (and also the solution you described)... and is a general problem with the "engine" that the game studio uses

Hopefully it's worked out...though I hear that they're going to use that same engine for TESVI (and I suspect FO5).