Anyone Else Fear The UI?

The user interface - or its optimisation - is the least of the problems in a space game.

Why do you think "micro-puke" bought this bug-box? To get some games for their console - the console that doesn't really sell as well as the competition from Sony.

The PC market is completely beside the point in these considerations.

When I can program in mode shift for my controller I think controllers are just fine but steam had to make setting up special controller functions entirely a new thing and there are no tutorials right now all the tuts are weeks to years old and no going back to the old method now.

I really hate ui.

I use I h u d by gopher.

Basically removes the ui until you absolutely have to have it.

I don't like exp points flashing in middle of the screen after killing something

I don't like hover health bars

I don't like hp numbers flying above heads when NPCs hurt it's crap

I prefer blood and gore to represent damage not numbers

Give me audio when hurt or visual stop being lazy.

Make arcade shit an option rather than default.

On 6/19/2023 at 10:22 AM, Darkening Demise said:

I mean it looks very controller oriented.... I could put up with every game but Skyrim default UI. Anyone else fear how it'll play with KB&M?

Character Creation

Reveal hidden contents

all-character-customization-ui-screenshots-v0-ae41iy89n8591.webp.9b3bc4d7c8032c33a79261bb099df06e.webpFVFu3GxX0AIqL5L.thumb.jpg.42764214880a2cd1ab000b1f4b0442cd.jpgall-character-customization-ui-screenshots-v0-jlwhd299n8591.thumb.png.30fb8e5255411d6de8d6e262b550ad8a.pngall-character-customization-ui-screenshots-v0-ax1wu199n8591.webp.b7e8fbffa702a3a26f183756517b2722.webpall-character-customization-ui-screenshots-v0-0nuxl599n8591.webp.000432fe7d9114c3d2dcdc3df3eb5b3b.webp

Flying

Reveal hidden contents

starfield-ship-cockpit.thumb.jpg.7ab521c84b75e5b30137d0024a82712b.jpg

Research

Reveal hidden contents

Starfield-Research-Weaponry-UI-Preview.png.88597efd69d4ff8477b3b77232c564f1.png

Ship Building

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled.jpg.e62574566dced72fbf37168e0f7a0673.jpg

If Keyboard and mouse is like it was in freespace/freespace 2 then it should be fine

Some of the older games like the wing commander series though had the mouse controlling a dot which you had to move to go up/down rather than moving the mouse up/down making you go up/down which was annoying

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

but actual stick is fun for space sim, remember those old wing commander games from the dark ages?

yeah wing commander 3/4/5 i use to play with one of these

Spoiler

image.png.48b0d03502d8575cfba3a3cc56b0e16d.png

although wasn't USB as that wasn't a thing for joysticks back then

I thought the Starfield UI in general was fine. Speaking just for my own experience, It looked readable and intuitive in all the different areas. I might want to play with different colors if possible, but the default is good enough. 

Now what I didn't like was the damn XP pop up in the middle of the screen. That was annoying. It breaks my immersion. So I'm hoping to move it or better, remove it all together.   

This is also my biggest fear.  Not so much the UI although that's also a concern.  But the actual controllability itself.   Will there be key remapping for things which controllers can't get to without a few clicks?  Will the mouse clicks actually select what you click on?    Am I going to have to traverse half a screen's worth of real estate with the mouse to pick from that ridiculously huge radial menu we saw?   Will there be any information shown on hovering over items, or do you have to click on *everything* just to have the UI show information?  I can't use controllers because they're horribly non-ergonomic and I have too many joint issues.

Skyrim was notorious for picking what you had selected, not what you clicked on -- it was that specific behavior that scuttled my first four attempts to play the game over the first three years after it was released, before I finally gave in and broke my rule of *always* playing a game through without mods first.  (And is still to this day the only game I've had to break that rule for.)   SkyUI helped, but wasn't enough until I found dialogue picker overhauls and added them to my mod list.  That *finally* allowed me to click on a choice and have it be selected reliably, which is what i needed to actually play the game.

Not sure if FO4 had the same problem(s) or not -- I own it but have been putting off playing it because I know I'll probably need to mod it first.   I'd resolved never to buy a Bethesda game again until I saw how it handled with K&M, but everything else looks so good with Starfield that it's tempting me to break that resolve as well.

So I'm really hoping they did K&M right this time... but I'm not holding my breath about it given their past track record.   Especially after we didn't see even one K&M user during Starfield Direct.

11 hours ago, Reigor said:

I thought the Starfield UI in general was fine. Speaking just for my own experience, It looked readable and intuitive in all the different areas. I might want to play with different colors if possible, but the default is good enough. 

Now what I didn't like was the damn XP pop up in the middle of the screen. That was annoying. It breaks my immersion. So I'm hoping to move it or better, remove it all together.   

The UI looks mostly reasonable and intuitive... until you realize you need to go back and forth between screens a LOT.   The fact that inventory categories aren't visible even as small icons on the individual category screens means switching categories means going back (hopefully with ESC because having to go up to click on that category header at the top of the screen with the mouse would make it even worse than I'm imaging, then you need to navigate with your mouse to find the category you want - which will almost certainly not be close to your mouse because there's no connection between the screens, and then click on that category to bring up the list for that category - which will *also* frequently involve a lot of mouse movement to get to because there's no connection between the screens.

Their UI design for those pages could have been improved immensely, without breaking up the flow or look, by the simple addition of a row of small category icons which appears on the left when your mouse moves towards the edge - hovering to see details about the category and maybe even a summary of items, and clicking to bring up that category screen... but that would require a tiny amount of consideration towards a K&M user to design it and I doubt anyone considered that at all.

UI,

It has nothing to do with controller inputs, it is just not ideal UI.

Point,  EXP is displayed in middle of screen on kill.  Bad idea, for one I dont need to know about that in real time and 2 its screen clutter.

Maybe in an MMO I might need to know the exp per kill in real time so that I can optimize my time spent farming exp but this is a single player game and even in the case of mmo I would still find UI elements to be a detraction from all the things that make the game space a sight to behold.

And there are quite a few things just like that EXP placement that bug me about UI usage.

Discover new location, blam center of screen placement of the places name.

How I even know what the place is called...?

How come the in game character did not uninstall this piece of corrupted cyberware is beyond me.

In short hopefully the devs did something great such as add menu options to remove these intrusive UI elements, but I find it more likely that modders will have to shut them down and make ESP's to distribute to improve gameplay.

Point,  EXP is displayed in middle of screen on kill.  Bad idea, for one I dont need to know about that in real time and 2 its screen clutter.

Yeah, that does seem like a bad idea. Never mind; mods that recompile scaleform to move UI elements around tend to drop early. I'm sure there'll be a fix for that pretty quickly.

And there are quite a few things just like that EXP placement that bug me about UI usage.

Discover new location, blam center of screen placement of the places name.

How I even know what the place is called...?

I think of that as a game element rather than something in-world. In -world you'd probably make up your own name for the place and enter it into the mission log. But it's easier to talk about the locations if we all have the same name for a place rather than "Shitty Mine", "Satan's Armpit" and what have you. So the game gives us the "official" name as a QoL feature as much as anything.

1 hour ago, DocClox said:

Ja, das scheint eine schlechte Idee zu sein. Egal; Mods, die Scaleform neu kompilieren, um UI-Elemente zu verschieben, werden in der Regel früh gelöscht. Ich bin mir sicher, dass es dafür ziemlich schnell eine Lösung geben wird.

Ich betrachte das als ein Spielelement und nicht als etwas in der Welt. In der Welt würden Sie sich wahrscheinlich einen eigenen Namen für den Ort ausdenken und ihn in das Missionsprotokoll eintragen. Aber es ist einfacher, über die Orte zu sprechen, wenn wir alle den gleichen Namen für einen Ort haben, statt „Shitty Mine“, „Satans Achselhöhle“ und was auch immer. Daher gibt uns das Spiel den „offiziellen“ Namen vor allem als QoL-Feature.

How does one generally know what the world in near space is called?

If the pilot doesn't know - because he didn't pay attention in astro-navigation class ... well - there is still a navigation computer.

After all, it has to make the space jump into this system - so it must have been explored before ... otherwise you might arrive in the middle of the central star or one of the gas giants.

It's not as if you have various galactic peoples here (apart from humans) - who first have to communicate with each other about how the "blue sparkle" in front of the bow of their ships is now called.