Rewatching Altered Carbon (netfix) gave me an idea

The idea introduced in the series is that body and mind can be separated by means of removing a chip from the head on which the mind is stored.

Examples of this in this series are:

Prisoners doing time outside their body (or "sleeve"), the chip is stored for the duration of the punishment, the body is re-used for someone else.

Victims of fatal accidents getting a new body when the chip can be saved.

A grandmother being chipped in the body of a male so that she can partake in holiday festivities with the family ("hey kids, I'm pissing standing up!!") (later on she got a bit drunk and used soft-drugs).

Criminals buying up bodies which their price fighters can use for fights to the "death".

The rich getting the most healthy- and in shape body, the poor getting the aged bodies with sometimes addictions (sad example in the series of a young girl waking up after an accident in an elderly woman's body).

The rich being able to save their mind in the cloud.

Of course, when you destroy the chip you destroy the person.

Memories are stored on the chip as well.

In CP2077 it could be a nice way to make saving a game more in character or to change gender when you want to.

Not every npc should have a chip installed though, only those who are rich enough, just to make this more exclusive.

• 4 months later...

I thought that was the whole idea behind the relic in the main story. The relic is still just a prototype in CP2077 but I figured this was something they were clearly stating would be common tech in the coming years since celebrities and the super rich have access to a basic version of the relic. The relic Johnny is on is exactly like Altered Carbon. The relic is him and having it inserted in us(V), the relic is rewriting our DNA to make our body fit the soul on the relic. It was intended to be used only by the owner of Arasaka in someone who was effectively dead. I imagine that the next game will have the relic tech be just common.