Hello New Here Looking for Tips Come and read :D

Hi guys, so I finally made an account on LoversLab! I wanna make my own game obviously and I want to use RPG maker to make it in the same style as college life

Anyone here with experience and wants to be friends with me on my journey is welcome!

I have a long experience of game programming.

I am also retired.

RPG Maker is not too shabby but it is also quite limited (making complex logic is hard.)

My only small advice is to start small, very small.

Do not try to do a triple A game right away. Do a small game, and try to finish it, ask also for help around.

If you succeed in doing a small game, then you get experience and more motivation for your second game that can be a little bit bigger and better.

Best of luck for your journey.

13 hours ago, CPU said:

I have a long experience of game programming.

I am also retired.

RPG Maker is not too shabby but it is also quite limited (making complex logic is hard.)

My only small advice is to start small, very small.

Do not try to do a triple A game right away. Do a small game, and try to finish it, ask also for help around.

If you succeed in doing a small game, then you get experience and more motivation for your second game that can be a little bit bigger and better.

Best of luck for your journey.

@CPU Thanks for your reply! Do you know anyone who makes games using RPG maker? Maybe we can be friends and they show me the ropes and where to start learning! :D

If you haven't done so, get one of the RPG Maker free trial packages, then google for some tutorials and work through them.

Once you get a bit of confidence, you try a rough cut of the game you want to make. Keep it simple at first. Navigation and dialogue and combat.

You'll probably find there are loads of open source libraries for fancy menu systems and the like. Use sparingly, if at all. It's easy to dig yourself in too deep and end up with a buggy mess that you have no idea how to fix.

Oh, and good luck!

4 hours ago, TeachMEh said:

@CPU Thanks for your reply! Do you know anyone who makes games using RPG maker? Maybe we can be friends and they show me the ropes and where to start learning! :D

I think @Veniat has some experience with RPG Maker, but I can be wrong.

17 hours ago, Veniat said:

I do, I have more experience with MV at the moment, though if you've got questions about VX Ace I can help out. 

@Veniat Are you cool with us being buddies? Like sith buddies where you are the master till I learn more about the dark side and betray you?

On 5/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, DocClox said:

If you haven't done so, get one of the RPG Maker free trial packages, then google for some tutorials and work through them.

Once you get a bit of confidence, you try a rough cut of the game you want to make. Keep it simple at first. Navigation and dialogue and combat.

You'll probably find there are loads of open source libraries for fancy menu systems and the like. Use sparingly, if at all. It's easy to dig yourself in too deep and end up with a buggy mess that you have no idea how to fix.

Oh, and good luck!

Any idea where I can find these free libraries? :D

5 hours ago, TeachMEh said:

I don't know how much help I can be, to be honest. This was years ago, decades almost, and I was kicking around on a few gamedev forums. Two of them I know have shut down, the others I can't remember the names.

Google a bit see what you can find. Once you find one, they tend to link to others. There's an RPGMaker sub on Reddit that might be a good starting point.

17 hours ago, TeachMEh said:

@Veniat Are you cool with us being buddies? Like sith buddies where you are the master till I learn more about the dark side and betray you?

Sure :D

17 hours ago, TeachMEh said:

Check this out http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Main_Page it's mosty yanflys stuff, some of them are paid libraries, some free, but it also lists other MV/MZ stuff as well.