Assistance needed with placing head or facegen from one mod onto body of another.

Guest carywinton

Guest carywinton

Good Day fine LL Community folks,

I have been working in the Geck and with Nifscope for a few days now trying to take a face I like and use it on a body I like. The face comes from one mod and the body from another. I got everything set up to create a new race, ran through the procedure in Nifscope to ensure texture and mesh for the body were connected, made my *esp in the Geck for the race, etc. Everything seemed to go along just fine until I went to save the new race and it immediately reverted back to the default head. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. I have looked through ever single support topic in this forum, read several tuts on creating a new race, but have not found what I need to either export the facegen and import it for use with the new race, etc.

Guest carywinton

Better off asking this in the Fallout Section, a moderator may move it for you.

Ok Halstrom, sometimes I get confused on just where I should post.

Edit: Post successfully moved to the correct forum and topic area. Thanks to Batman, I mean BruceWayne~

• 3 weeks later...

Been half a month, dunno if still an active request.

Trying to understand the question, basically you're just looking to take the face off of a specific character and put it on your own?  Or on a new NPC?  By "custom race", how custom?  Did you just use a slightly different body/skin textures/etc. or is it more in-depth, like a moonshadow race type of mod?  If it's just a slightly-modified version of a particular race, did you use the same race as the base for your custom one as the NPC who you want to copy?

(that last is more important than it might seem.  copying, for instance, a hispanic face onto a caucasian face, or custom race built off of caucasian race, causes Really Bad morphs, from time to time.  Like, Elephant man bad).  

Exactly what you're trying to do depends on what you'd need, but it's perfectly possible.  You'll likely need FNVEdit.  There are also a few facegen exchange type of utilities that you can use to copy facegen data, either onto a save file, or onto an NPC in FNVEdit.  

Guest carywinton

Been half a month, dunno if still an active request.

Trying to understand the question, basically you're just looking to take the face off of a specific character and put it on your own?  Or on a new NPC?  By "custom race", how custom?  Did you just use a slightly different body/skin textures/etc. or is it more in-depth, like a moonshadow race type of mod?  If it's just a slightly-modified version of a particular race, did you use the same race as the base for your custom one as the NPC who you want to copy?

(that last is more important than it might seem.  copying, for instance, a hispanic face onto a caucasian face, or custom race built off of caucasian race, causes Really Bad morphs, from time to time.  Like, Elephant man bad).  

Exactly what you're trying to do depends on what you'd need, but it's perfectly possible.  You'll likely need FNVEdit.  There are also a few facegen exchange type of utilities that you can use to copy facegen data, either onto a save file, or onto an NPC in FNVEdit.  

Hey Jonas_Opines, it's really nice of you to try and help out with this, I certainly appreciate your expert knowledge and assistance. Let me see if I can answer your question and help clear up some things. I wanted to take the face of a particular race, Moonshadow is a good example you used so we can work with that. I noticed if I tried to use the "right click" option on the CGPreset and select "new" the face would become distorted, so I am guessing the facegen data "three lines of Hex Code are not transferring properly with this method. I then tried to use TESEdit to manually transfer the three lines over, this too did not work properly and the face again was distorted. I finally just used "edit" in the GECK by right clicking the race CGPreset and this held the values and the face was fine. At this point I had created a custom race with the body I wanted, but when I tried to change the "Race" field in the NPC edit window, again working in the GECK, the facegen data was lost.

The only way I found to finally get the results I wanted was to turn the body into a body suit, a piece of clothing and this worked fine, of course until something requiring the removal of said clothing, then of course the default body would be there instead.

Each time I created a custom race for the facegen I wanted, I made sure to use the same "base" race, as you stated taking a face from a Caucasian and trying to use it on a Hispanic body results in the "Elephant Man" type effect, which is probably what I experienced with trying to take the face of a custom race, in this case CWDolls and put it on another body, one I remade from another oriental mod called RCNV.

The FaceGen Utilities I found, that you noted, seem to only be for pulling the facegen data from an existing saved game "Player" character, I did not find one that would function for NPC's.

In any event I will display my results below for your inspection and critique. I really appreciate you taking the time to try and give me some ideas on how to go about this, I hope I was a bit clearer on what I was trying to do and how I went about it.

I have optimized the image for the web, taking Ashal's bandwith and storage into account, I do not know if he is hosted by IPBoard or hosts this himself, it's not like everyone sits on a Class B bank of static IP Addresses with over 20TB of storage and has multiple rack system servers like me, lol.

post-21419-0-06882500-1380642313_thumb.jpg

Guest carywinton

Make a duplicate of the race that your facegen data is built on.  Point the body mesh to the mesh for the different body type you want.  Change your NPC to that new race.  Everything should be fine.

Ok Loogie, I will give that a try and report back my results. Thank-you.

The Race that the CGPreset is built on does not seem to contain the facegen data, they look very different. So the facegen data must only be present in the CGPresets, not the race it was built on, unfortunately.

post-21419-0-15584800-1380677810_thumb.jpg

post-21419-0-75020600-1380677847_thumb.jpg

Guest carywinton

Why don't you work backwards, and just change everything in the body that you want to match the race head stuff you're using?  It seems like body meshes and textures would be a hell of a lot easier to alter than the Face data ranges for whatever custom race that you're using.

That's kind of what I ended up doing, I just turned the body I wanted in to a body suit. And put it on a new NPC with that CGPreset, anytime I tried to attach a different body (textures and meshes) to that CGPreset the face would change.

Thanks Jonas_opines for the good ideas, I think I am just missing something that I have not tried, some process or set of steps that may make it work.

• 1 month later...

Archived