The new hub city

Presto

Just wondering what people think the new hub city will be for this game for modders. In Oblivion it was pretty obvious which city was the central hub and the market district was just primed for a number of mods to drop in chests and shops, but where will that be in Skyrim? Solitude is the capital I guess but it doesn't really feel like it. Then you have Windhelm which actually has a little more room to slap down some mod stores but again it doesn't feel right to me. Whiterun seems to be the place but it doesn't have a grand feel aside from the castle.

Pretty much what I'm getting at is I'd like to work on a modded store or two in the future and I'm trying to figure out where other people feel they run to more often in the game world. For me it's Riften but that's because I enjoy doing quests for the thieves guild.

I find myself in either Whiterun or Solitude most of the time as I like the house I bought in Solitude most and have everything in its proper place there. Whiterun is like my getaway / overflow spot. I junk up the house there with things I dont know if I'll keep or sell and I do most of my crafting there seeing how close everything is in regards to the home.

i always go to whiterun since so far thats the place i can find the smelter easily and theres 2 blacksmith people and a trader to sell my junk armor and weapons i make to. and i can also find the enchanting station easiest there too. plus my home is there so its my hub city when i want to relax/smithing/enchanting/store stuff

Hi,

Whiterun it is for me too. Aside from having the skyforge, its in the centre of the map and for some reason, when I dont know where i want to be, i'll fast travel and just aimlessly walk around the city. on a side note, I would realy love to see a mod that fix's the city up, possibly even expanding it, streatching the walls further out, adding new houses and inproving the existing ones. Basically make the city look like its growing over time, also making it so that its the player thats paying for part of the improvement would also be nice, become the jarls advisor, (over the corse of a good few ingame months ofc) but thats going off topic ^.^

One more Whiterun frequenter here.

What I have to wonder about is the fact that none of these towns have as much space as the Imperial City did, though. The holds are more like towns, about the size of one half of New Sheoth, or two districts of the Imperial City, give or take. I suppose mods could drop shops and the like in the area surrounding Whiterun?

So Whiterun appears to be the consensus. I do wish there was a little more room in the city though. The Imperial City had empty space that you could sneak a door or an entire building into but Whiterun is lacking that. I couldn't imagine an expansion like the Better Cities mod that added a second level to the IC Market but I guess I'll leave that for the more experienced modders. Maybe instead of dropping an entire structure into the city it will be better to create a "undermarket" or a cave system that will have room for multiple modded shops and locations.

I suggest some content outside of the city proper. A nord "hold" I think as the name suggests should be primarily a fortress with some neccesary services for the population inside. I imagine most people lives outside the walls (although the game dosn't really support this, one mod I would love is the addition of much more farms outside the cities).

I like solitude just because its a beautiful city.

Not sure if you can get a house there tho.

You can and I hear it's expensive. I actually wandered through a house there the other day that I believe is the house you can buy. I snuck into the back door (hey now!) but found that the other outside doors were locked and "requires a key". Not sure I need homes in several cities yet so I'll pass for now. My Whiterun home and my DB dungeon are more than enough for me.

I was just wandering through Riften considering room for expansion and I felt it had the most versatility for adding shops and the like. Of course the non walled cities can be expanded as far as your eyes can see but there is something about having a walled in space to work with that just feels right when you're figuring out a place to call home.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but whiterun...

-It's large (bigger then dawnstar, winterhold, and falkreath)

-It's central

-It has plenty of room for expansion (outside the city walls)

-It's the first major city the player gets to

-Scenery isn't bad

Only thing I could think of that would be a problem *SPOILER*

-Problems with the stormcloak quest to take the city, because from what I heard the invasion messes the place up big time, I don't know how this would clash with mods.

Despite all of this Whiterun is one of my least favorite cities... It just feels so bland compared with Solitude, Riften, and Markarth. Those are cities with character.

Hub city? Well my friends that really depends on what hub you're talking about. For Imperials, that would be Solitude. For Stormcloaks that would be Windhelm or Riften. For miners, smiths or Forsworn, it would be Markarth. For mages it would be Winterhold and for general lazy people, Whiterun. Bethesda designed Skyrim to have varying cities so each one is specialized in one way or another and no city is a central hub. Of course through modding, the surrounding farms of Whiterun could be turned into suburbs and peasant sectors.

Maybe if there is enough requests from the community, modders will support a common goal to keep the game clean. If there is no quest to give something to the community, then put it in a vendor list, or make people use additem. One of the things I hated to see, was a shit load of crappy boxes you end up disabling. I wonder what that did to my save file... lol

You know how most mods put their clothes in chests outside the arena?

It'll be like this in whiterun' date=' but outside dragonsreach or in front of the shrine of talos.

[/quote']

You know what I'd like to see? Make the new costumes craftable, and have the skills to make them added by recipies that you could buy or find or find in quests. I don't know what sort of techical issues that would pose, but I like the idea of my gal making herself a sexy costume, and not having half a hundred chests to trip over in my dragon fights would definitely be a good thing.

OK, I know... half the players will just want the costumes, and don't want to have to play the game to get them, but a man can always dream.

The alternative is a "modders mall" somewhere, where modders can add their own vendors. Have an underground complex maybe so there's no problem adding new areas, and let designers either add a vendor, or just have a big room for chests. That way we minimise the impact on Whiterun to one new doorway, and the clutter is in a separate cell.

The gripping hand, I suppose, is that no matter what schemes we might propose, the majority of modders are going to do their own thing anyway. Oh well, just a few ideas...

You know how most mods put their clothes in chests outside the arena?

It'll be like this in whiterun' date=' but outside dragonsreach or in front of the shrine of talos.

[/quote']

You know what I'd like to see? Make the new costumes craftable, and have the skills to make them added by recipies that you could buy or find or find in quests. I don't know what sort of techical issues that would pose, but I like the idea of my gal making herself a sexy costume, and not having half a hundred chests to trip over in my dragon fights would definitely be a good thing.

OK, I know... half the players will just want the costumes, and don't want to have to play the game to get them, but a man can always dream.

The alternative is a "modders mall" somewhere, where modders can add their own vendors. Have an underground complex maybe so there's no problem adding new areas, and let designers either add a vendor, or just have a big room for chests. That way we minimise the impact on Whiterun to one new doorway, and the clutter is in a separate cell.

The gripping hand, I suppose, is that no matter what schemes we might propose, the majority of modders are going to do their own thing anyway. Oh well, just a few ideas...

One such idea from the Nexus was to add an underground district to Whiterun.

Archived