WW settings reseting to default on its own

Sometimes at (what looks to me like random) times, my WW settings reset to the default on its own after launching the game.
It happened to me yesterday last, it still said I was currently using my usual settings profile, but the settings where set to the default regardless. I also had a look at the settings profile file in WW directory in my mod folder, and the values all seemed to correspond to my actual settings, but it still showed and behaved as default in-game.
I managed to get it back by replacing in the setting profile folder the current profile file with another that I had in backup (it uses a different name but roughly the same settings). I looked at both files and it did show the same values for most settings, however once relaunching the game the settings where all back to normal to my preferences.
Any idea what might cause that? And how to fix it?

It also appears to be affecting protocols too, as all my existing protocols disappeared and didn't apply anymore.

This could be the most annoying part actually, because if I can retrieve to settings by replacing the file it's fine it's less efforts than re-doing it all, but I haven't find the file to do the same with protocols...?

28 minutes ago, Namikan said:

Sometimes at (what looks to me like random) times, my WW settings reset to the default on its own after launching the game.
It happened to me yesterday last, it still said I was currently using my usual settings profile, but the settings where set to the default regardless. I also had a look at the settings profile file in WW directory in my mod folder, and the values all seemed to correspond to my actual settings, but it still showed and behaved as default in-game.
I managed to get it back by replacing in the setting profile folder the current profile file with another that I had in backup (it uses a different name but roughly the same settings). I looked at both files and it did show the same values for most settings, however once relaunching the game the settings where all back to normal to my preferences.
Any idea what might cause that? And how to fix it?

It also appears to be affecting protocols too, as all my existing protocols disappeared and didn't apply anymore.

This could be the most annoying part actually, because if I can retrieve to settings by replacing the file it's fine it's less efforts than re-doing it all, but I haven't find the file to do the same with protocols...?

I guess it could be because of corrupted complex data? Have you tried in a new game with a new sim and a new profile?

You can also upload the wickedwhimsinfolog.log file here (it is in sims 4 folder) and i can take a look later when i have some time or somebody else will, and see if there is something wonky going on.

2 hours ago, LittleRedSonja said:

I guess it could be because of corrupted complex data? Have you tried in a new game with a new sim and a new profile?

It doesn't happen very often, but it's been a while since it started for me (over a year), and it happened on different saves, with different settings, and on different versions of WW (this time is the first it happens for me since the setting profiles and protocols feature).

Actually, this time I did open a new save to run a test of another mod, and WW settings were set back to the default ones the next time I opened my usual save after that. Since it was just a quick test and wasn't related to WW I didn't look or touch the settings while playing the test save.

On 4/7/2023 at 4:30 PM, Namikan said:

Here's my wickedwhimsinfolog.log file

WickedWhimsInfoLog.log 1.22 MB · 2 downloads

Sorry for the late answer, i totally missed this post hidden under 100000 other posts with errors, and i do not have much time now during Easter ?.

The log looks perfectly fine, i do not see any problems there. Other possible problems causing issues with settings can be:

1- Saving before on world map, but that should be fixed if you "save as" in live mode after.

2- Using one drive or dropbox for the game or mods folder (but it does not seem you are doing it).

3- Using symbolic links or similar solutions may also cause troubles with settings.

4- Anything preventing wicked whims from reading and writing in the folder where you have mods installed and the game installed can also cause this problem, so check your folder permissions  in your op. system.

5- Using a pirate copy of the sims 4 is another reason why this could happen.

6- Very old version of some mods, for example very old versions of Nisa caused problems in ww settings in the past, but that is not the case here since you are not using other mods. 

If non of the above mentioned is the problem, one thing you can do is try exporting your current settings, then reset your setting to default, "save as" in a new save slot, exit the game, load that new save, manually tweak your setting again to your liking (do not import settings, tweak everything manually again), play for a few minutes. If it does not reset then "save as" again in a new save slot, exit the game, load the new save again and keep playing as normal. This whole process sometimes fixes it. 

If it does not maybe you are one of the unlucky people that suffer this random bug, and i do not know of any other good solution for it, sorry. Some people have reported this thing even before the new settings system, and as far as i know there is no other solution other than what i have explained. 

If anybody have other suggestions or possible solutions please feel free to share ?

Edited by LittleRedSonja
typos
9 hours ago, LittleRedSonja said:

Sorry for the late answer, i totally missed this post hidden under 100000 other posts with errors, and i do not have much time now during Easter ?.

The log looks perfectly fine, i do not see any problems there. Other possible problems causing issues with settings can be:

1- Saving before on world map, but that should be fixed if you "save as" in live mode after.

2- Using one drive or dropbox for the game or mods folder (but it does not seem you are doing it).

3- Using symbolic links or similar solutions may also cause troubles with settings.

4- Anything preventing wicked whims from reading and writing in the folder where you have mods installed and the game installed can also cause this problem, so check your folder permissions  in your op. system.

5- Using a pirate copy of the sims 4 is another reason why this could happen.

6- Very old version of some mods, for example very old versions of Nisa caused problems in ww settings in the past, but that is not the case here since you are not using other mods. 

If non of the above mentioned is the problem, one thing you can do is try exporting your current settings, then reset your setting to default, "save as" in a new save slot, exit the game, load that new save, manually tweak your setting again to your liking (do not import settings, tweak everything manually again), play for a few minutes. If it does not reset then "save as" again in a new save slot, exit the game, load the new save again and keep playing as normal. This whole process sometimes fixes it. 

If it does not maybe you are one of the unlucky people that suffer this random bug, and i do not know of any other good solution for it, sorry. Some people have reported this thing even before the new settings system, and as far as i know there is no other solution other than what i have explained. 

If anybody have other suggestions or possible solutions please feel free to share ?

Thanks for tour reply and all those explanations (actually, I do use a LOT of other mods, but I only noticed after uploading my info log here that I ran a test with most mods out just before that, and that they didn't showed on the file because of it ?).

This bug occurs very randomly, and very not often (it must have happened 3 or 4 times in 3 years of using WW for me), so running tests for it is quite impossible unless I do it within months of play ?

I am of those people who had it happen several time before, which might be caused by something or another, but this time in particular I think I figured out what went wrong (especially because of how the files looked into WW folders (mods and saves)) : I noticed afterward that I ran several tests for several mods those past days, and the day prior I noticed the settings reset, I took out files from the mods and saves folders. I think I may have took out one of WW folder and not the other, that's probably where things went wrong (if, let's say the mods folder's files couldn't find their counterparts in the saves folder)?

1 hour ago, Namikan said:

Thanks for tour reply and all those explanations (actually, I do use a LOT of other mods, but I only noticed after uploading my info log here that I ran a test with most mods out just before that, and that they didn't showed on the file because of it ?).

This bug occurs very randomly, and very not often (it must have happened 3 or 4 times in 3 years of using WW for me), so running tests for it is quite impossible unless I do it within months of play ?

I am of those people who had it happen several time before, which might be caused by something or another, but this time in particular I think I figured out what went wrong (especially because of how the files looked into WW folders (mods and saves)) : I noticed afterward that I ran several tests for several mods those past days, and the day prior I noticed the settings reset, I took out files from the mods and saves folders. I think I may have took out one of WW folder and not the other, that's probably where things went wrong (if, let's say the mods folder's files couldn't find their counterparts in the saves folder)?

Yes that might be it, if settings are missing or something is wrong ww will try first to recover older settings first (for example from other saves), and if that fails it will reset to default.